Beads, Hygrometers, Lighters...

SledZeppelin

Young Chimp
So I just recieved my first humidor (20 ct). The humidifier element it came with is one of those generic black ones (w/ I believe "floral" foam inside).

I'm taking steps to "season" the humidor. Have wiped it down inside w/ sponge and distilled water, and left sponge in overnight. Repeat again today.

I also added distilled water to the humidifier element. I think I did it right, just kinda poured until it wouldnt take anymore water.

But from all accounts, everyone is recommending the rh beads, I believe from heartfelt? Any idea how many beads I would need for a small 20 ct humidor? I cant afford to spend too much, as I'm on a student budget, and I don't want to get too many.

Also for hygrometers, I've seen some analog ones for around $10 shipped online, but seems consensus is the digital ones are better. Any good resources for good, reasonably priced digital hygrometers?

And lastly, any reccomendations on a good, cheap torch lighter? If not, I'll stick to wood matches but it seems as though the butane lighters are also the way to go.

Good news though; I do have a cutter! :D

Thanks in advance! :tu

Howdy!

To figure out how many RH Beads your need, simply measure the interior of the humidor to calculate cubic inches and then use the chart below.

To calculate the volume, simply follow this formula:
Multiply the length in inches X width in inches X height in inches
(ex: 10 in. x 10 in. x 10 in. = 1000 cu. in.)
1 oz = 540 cu. in.
2 oz = 1080 cu. in.
3 oz = 1620 cu. in.
4 oz = 2160 cu. in.
5 oz = 2700 cu. in.
6 oz = 3240 cu. in.
7 oz = 3780 cu. in.
8 oz = 4320 cu. in.
9 oz = 4860 cu. in.
10 oz = 5400 cu. in.
11 oz = 5940 cu. in.
12 oz = 6480 cu. in.
13 oz = 7020 cu. in.
14 oz = 7560 cu. in.
15 oz = 8100 cu. in.
16 oz = 8640 cu. in.

Make sure you season your humidor for at least 7-10 days to make sure that the new wood has absorbed as much h2o as it will hold. Leave the lid closed with the foam humidifier in it and you should be good to go after a couple of weeks.

In regards to hygrometers, digitals tend to be more accurate but they do need to be calibrated ("salt tested") regularly. I recommend replacing the battery once a year and calibrating at least twice a year.

Performance varies greatly and I have found the Western Caliber III to be one of the most accurate, inexpensive digital hygrometers out of the box. Typically +/- 1-2% and haven't had one ever fail (I use 12).

For a great, inexpensive lighter, I recommend the Solo Trek. It's dual flame and comes with a lifetime warranty. Even 50% of MSRP replacement cost if lost or stolen! Another would be the Nibos.

I hope this helps

~Mark

Definitely go with the beads and a digital hygro. Make sure you "salt" test the hygro to see how exact it is reading. Also, I recommend the $3 Ronson Jet-lite single torch. For $3 it can't be beat.

:tuDefinitely go with the beads and a digital hygro. Make sure you "salt" test the hygro to see how exact it is reading. Also, I recommend the $3 Ronson Jet-lite single torch. For $3 it can't be beat.:tu

I use a Ronson, that was gifted to me, and it out performs my Xikar Executive hands down. There are a lot of threads about beads, Hygros and lighters. :2I recommend searching the Accessory and Accessory Review forums, lots of good info.

Welcome to The Jungle.

I just received my Heartfelt beads yesterday and put them in my humi when I got home. Just order the small round puck type that's already filled with beads:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RH_Small_70

Works pretty much just like the floral foam one when it comes to wetting it. Ever since putting it in I'm holding a steady 70% humidity - my digital hydro says 71% but it has a +/-1% accuracy rate so I'm assuming it's really 70%.

I would recommend the Western Caliber III highly. I got lucky and got mine for $16 through Amazon but it's currently at $18.00 or so the ceahpest I can find. They generally average $20. It shows temperature and humidity, is precalibrated, and is known well for it's accuracy.

Rev.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Any recommendations regarding what to do w/ my 18 cigars in the meantime? They're sealed but there must be something better than just leaving them in a drawer until my humidor is ready.

Maybe do a "tupperdor" until the humidor is ready? And should I really wait 7-10 days? Some stuff I read said 48 hours was enough.

Thanks everybody!

Thanks for the responses everyone. Any recommendations regarding what to do w/ my 18 cigars in the meantime? They're sealed but there must be something better than just leaving them in a drawer until my humidor is ready.

Maybe do a "tupperdor" until the humidor is ready? And should I really wait 7-10 days? Some stuff I read said 48 hours was enough.

Thanks everybody!

Tupperdor and 7-10 days.:tu

I'll be honest, despite what everyone says I started off using my humi after only one full day and I've been fine since. This is what I did:

First I did like you did and wiped down the interior of the humidor with clean paper towels dampened (NOT dripping wet!) with distilled water. Let that sit (closed) a few hours till it was totally dry. Then I did it one more time. After it dried I took a shot glass, filled it most of the way up with distilled water, and microwaved it for 1 minute or so. I then took it out of the microwave and put it in my humi and closed the lid. I left it for a few hours then removed the shotglass, let it air (open) for around 15 minutes or so, then stuck the humidifier puck with 50/50 solution in it and my cigars in the humi.

That's it, I was done. I have a digital hygrometer (Western Caliber III) and I was holding a steady 68-70% humidity from that point on. So yeah, you'll read all sorts of conflicting info. You'll have reuptable sites tell you you should, or you shouldn't, wipe down the inside of your humi. Or that it needs 7 days and all that jazz. I don't find it so critical personally and I found what I did worked perfectly. Also, every cigar I've smoked out of there has been just the way I like them.

So, that's my :2

Rev.

Performance varies greatly and I have found the Western Caliber III to be one of the most accurate, inexpensive digital hygrometers out of the box. Typically +/- 1-2% and haven't had one ever fail (I use 12).
I second the recommendation for the Western Caliber III's.

I ordered three from Bargin Humidors a few weeks ago. I've since calibrated them using Boveda. All three are spot on at exactly 75% with the Boveda.

is 65% vs 70% rh beads just personal preference? based on climate?

I'm in so cal w/ air conditioning. Does that lend itself one way or the other in terms of which beads to get?

A lot of guys like to smoke their cigars a little dryer than they store them. Some even have a "dry box" with no humidification that they put several cigars in that they know they will smoke in the next couple days. In your case you will be smoking and storing out of the same box. I personally think that 65% cigars smoke better than 70%.

It is an opinion or preference. If you are used to smoking cigars straight from the B&M and you start storing cigars in your own humi you will begin to notice that you like the cigars that have been in your humi better than the ones straight from the store, assuming you maintain your humi well. Most B&Ms keep their cigars at or above 70%.

Cuban cigars are usually stored at 60-65% where most consider NC's to be better stored at 70%. I have both in my humi and I use 65%.

Bottom line is you won't be unhappy with either 65 or 70.:2

Thanks everybody, I'm gonna order a tube of hearfelt 65% beads and a digital hygrometer right now.

Also on a side note, how "far gone" of a cigar can a good humidor ressurect? At what point is there just no hope for a cigar?

Regarding lighter.

Ronson jetlight is good, but you can also get a old zippo on Ebay for 3-4 bucks and put in a $10 Blazer z-plus jet insert. Nothin like the "snap-cring" sound of a zippo opening up.

Take a blow dryer and dry that humidor back out (on low heat). There is absolutely no good reason to season a 20 count. You run a bigger risk of warping the wood with the way most of them are made. While waiting for the beads put the foam humidifier back in and let it sit empty for 12 hours with the lid closed. It will be seasoned enough.

Back