Beads, Noob, Hygro...oh my...

jbonnefsc

Maturing Primate
So I've got a 20 count humidor. I keep 15-18 sticks in the box, most of the time. I was using a puck with gel in it, but got mold. I switched to beads (Cigar Mechanic is the Brand). All the while, my analog Hygro hovers close to 60%. I salt test it, and it appears to be 5% low, meaning the acutal humidity was close to 65% (i think). I use distilled water. Now, with beads (I filled the puck up with them), my hygro is registering 80% (Meaning with 5% error it could be 85%?!?!?!?!?!) Also, i had the cap of a Taboo Twist Churchill split in the box (While nobody was touching it)

However, this doesn't add up.

1) Doesn't mold only grow above 75%?
2) Would a couple ounces of beads make it jump that much? Do i have too many beads?
3) Is my Hygro just crap, and the beads will keep it safe?
4) Help?
5) Should a Taboo Twist cap just split like that? Not under normal conditions, am-i-right?
6) thanks

Could be the analog hygro. they are notoriously inaccurate. i would recommend a digital. You can get them from Heartfelt Industries or Cigarmony. Both are members here. I always test my with the Boveda calibration kit. they all seem to be holding pretty accurate for me.

You may need to wipe everything down with something to kill all the mold. Maybe another brother has a suggestion for that.

Hope this helps.

Be sure you dont soak the beads. Half clear and half white so they can absorb or release moisture as needed. I am not familiar with the brand, but the promo says they are two way so they should be ok. It also does not say if they are 65 or 70pct. :2

That is it then. I soaked them, as it said on the package to do so. So, they can't grab humidity, only give it...I'll fix that!!!

Thanks!!!

Back