Beginner/Rookie/Newbie Links

Scott M

SilverBack
Since PDS was nice enough to start this forum for those general cigar related questions that pop up, (or keep popping up), I thought I'd throw in a few links that address the questions I had (and have).

One of, if not THE, best source of info about cigars and cigar smoking, Top 25 Cigar (Gotta get a plug in for El Jeffe!)

From a thread on (another) forum:
Cigar 101

JR University

Cigar Group FAQ

CIgar Nexus' Ultimate Cigar Storage Manifesto

Then there's

Holts Cigar Guide

All you'd ever want to know about humidors

Altadis' Smoking History and Facts

Now, all these are good sources of info, but since you're reading this page, you're already at the SINGLE BEST CIGAR RESOURCE site going. All ya' gotta do is hit the search button!

Of course, you should start out by reading this from IHT's signature.

Scott"gratuitoussuckup"M

So...whatcha all make of the following paragraph from Altadis' website?:

"If you keep your cigars at 70% relative humidity and 70 degrees F, they'll dry out over a long period of time. To combat this, get a decent humidor, keep the cigars at room temperature, charge the humidifier in the humidor regularly and you'll have no problem. For large walk in humidors, remember that a manufacturer equilibrates cigars after rolling at room temperature and about 72% relative humidity. At this level of temperature and humidity, the three parts of the cigars are allowed to equalize in moisture content, to slowly, ever so slowly, dry down. So room temperature and 72% humidity will keep cigars over time and 73% humidity will keep cigars perfect forever. "

Scott M said:
Since PDS was nice enough to start this forum for those general cigar related questions that pop up, (or keep popping up), I thought I'd throw in a few links that address the questions I had (and have).

One of, if not THE, best source of info about cigars and cigar smoking, Top 25 Cigar (Gotta get a plug in for El Jeffe!)

From a thread on (another) forum:
Cigar 101

JR University

Cigar Group FAQ

CIgar Nexus' Ultimate Cigar Storage Manifesto

Then there's

Holts Cigar Guide

All you'd ever want to know about humidors

Altadis' Smoking History and Facts

Now, all these are good sources of info, but since you're reading this page, you're already at the SINGLE BEST CIGAR RESOURCE site going. All ya' gotta do is hit the search button!

Of course, you should start out by reading this from IHT's signature.

Scott"gratuitoussuckup"M

magno said:
So...whatcha all make of the following paragraph from Altadis' website?:

"If you keep your cigars at 70% relative humidity and 70 degrees F, they'll dry out over a long period of time. To combat this, get a decent humidor, keep the cigars at room temperature, charge the humidifier in the humidor regularly and you'll have no problem. For large walk in humidors, remember that a manufacturer equilibrates cigars after rolling at room temperature and about 72% relative humidity. At this level of temperature and humidity, the three parts of the cigars are allowed to equalize in moisture content, to slowly, ever so slowly, dry down. So room temperature and 72% humidity will keep cigars over time and 73% humidity will keep cigars perfect forever. "

Scott: Great info should really help anyone looking for that information.

Magno: Can't believe that 70/70 will dry out a cigar since it's 70% relative humidity therefore it should keep an even moisture content in the cigar. All cigars will dry out some and actually I will not smoke a cigar until I can easily move the band back and forth.

I'd ask what's a long time 1 yr, 2yrs, or 10yrs. Although most people that keep cigars for long aging periods keep them at 65%.

So much info on one page. This is great!
So is that article recomending that you store cigars at 73? Or just if its long term?

Bump for all of the noobies.........This is a great source of info. Just in case you forgot to read the stickies!!

Back