Box Press

Catholicsmoker

Young Chimp
Hello,

Please excuse my being a cigar noob, since I am more of a pipe smoker, but I am wondering if there is a benefit or a down side to cigars being "Box Pressed." I was reading something or listening to a review about a type of cigar on YouTube and they specified that it was box pressed. Can somebody please solve this mystery for me. Thanks.

-CS

I'm a newb as well but I don't believe there is anything different about a box-pressed cigar other than the aesthetic. It just looks different because instead of having the normal cigar's round shape, a box-pressed cigar has squared off edges. The box-pressed cigar gets its shape from the 'box' (block) it sits in after being rolled.

Some traditionalists don't like box-pressed cigars just because of the way it looks. They prefer round cigars. I myself like the box-pressed. Padron 1964 being my favorite. I have yet to smoke my 1926 which is the same shape.

^^^ He's right, it's just aesthetic. It's supposedly also harder to make a box pressed, well... from what I've read. Other than that there is no gain or drawback to it.

Rev.

I happen to like the box press. Feels good in the hand and looks nice.No difference in flavor or burn in my opinion.

Box Pressed Cigars are great when your golfing. They don't roll off the tee box markers when you set it down to hit.:ss

You'll also hear things like box pressing fixes small imperfections and blah blah but really it's personal preference. Maybe it does, who knows.

I'm a newb as well but I don't believe there is anything different about a box-pressed cigar other than the aesthetic. It just looks different because instead of having the normal cigar's round shape, a box-pressed cigar has squared off edges. The box-pressed cigar gets its shape from the 'box' (block) it sits in after being rolled.

^^^ He's right, it's just aesthetic. It's supposedly also harder to make a box pressed, well... from what I've read. Other than that there is no gain or drawback to it.

:tpd: Does not make a difference.

Apparently it's easier to make a square cigar than a level table in Latin America... Personally I hate them. More often than not I get ones that are plugged too tight to smoke. Yeah, it's nice it won't roll away from you, but neither will anything else from inside the garbage can.

Box pressed don't get damaged as easy when you are reorganizing or just fondling your stash because they don't roll. You can also get away with using just about anything as a makeshift ashtray because it won't roll off.

I was sort of snobbish about it my first few years but I have since gotten over it and even learned to appreciate the versatility.

Apparently it's easier to make a square cigar than a level table in Latin America... Personally I hate them. More often than not I get ones that are plugged too tight to smoke. Yeah, it's nice it won't roll away from you, but neither will anything else from inside the garbage can.
I was just thinking the other day, as I was smoking a box pressed cigar, that I don't EVER remember having a box press that was tough to draw. I have gotten to the point that I strongly prefer a box press, but mostly because I like the way it feels in the hand.

Since its been brought up, I can't recall any tough draws on box pressed and I think I smoke relatively even amount of both types. Oh well.

Ouch!!!:D

Personally I love the PAMs and the 5 Vegas Apex!!! Both Box Press!!!

Most cigars whether box or round still are pressed to keep them consistently the same size vitola and ring gauge!!! Am I wrong???

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like box pressed cigars. They generally smoke well, and I like how they feel in my hand.

Hello,

Please excuse my being a cigar noob, since I am more of a pipe smoker, but I am wondering if there is a benefit or a down side to cigars being "Box Pressed." I was reading something or listening to a review about a type of cigar on YouTube and they specified that it was box pressed. Can somebody please solve this mystery for me. Thanks.

-CS

It is a personal choice. I like some box press: Padron Anniversario 1964, or Series 1926 and others I don't 5 Vegas, Indian Tabac. Experiment and have fun.

If you are confused, try an Anejo by A Fuente. The cap and head is round torpedo and the body is square.

By the way, box press is done in a mold cigar press first. Picture attached of a roller rolling Anejo at the Fuente factory. Best of luck...
anejo2.jpg

I like a box press because I dont seem to slober all over the cigar (sp?) as much. Maybe im just crazy.

Back