Cigar draw and Padron's

LibertyToad

Young Ape
I'm a little new to this. I smoke a fair amount of Padron's (2000's/3000's). One thing I've noticed when smoking other cigars is that draw on most of them is noticeably tighter. I had an Oliva V torpedo the other day and found the draw to be tight. This is the second one of those that were like that. I've also had the G's and they were a bit better but still seemed a little tight.

Some of the stick's I've had apparently are known to have a tight draw--so I'm not counting those.

I'm 95% sure I'm cutting them properly (with a 2 blade cutter). The Oliva V's I had to cut pretty far. One of them I cut past the cap and it unraveled (but the draw was nice, lol). It's the same for torpedos and just the regular rounded sticks.

So, is the draw on the Padron's considered a little loose compared to other sticks or what? The draw on them seem perfect to me. And I'm often a little dissappointed with many other cigars. I'm just curious what others will say about this.

I also find the draw on padrons almost perfect... But many other cigars have this same draw consistantly, at least at the 65% that i keep them at. So there are a lot of cigars with consistantly looser pull, and lots of cigar with consistantly tougher pulls.

Yeah, the padrons are a lot easier on the draw than most others. I like that though, saves my lungs and bucal muscles.

Padron and Oliva are both high quality manufacturers with very few construction/draw problems. It may be a storage/humidity problem If you are smoking them fresh from the shop, let them rest for a few days in your humi or try dry boxing them for several hours before smoking. If they are from your humi at home, try reducing your rh to 63-65%. Many here prefer the lower rh range for smoking. :2

My padrons are always pretty loose. I've noticed that since they are all in the same humi and the padron is always looser then the next stick I pick up.

At what RH level are your storing your cigars?

Most draw (and burn) problems can be attributed to over humidification. I would suggest dry boxing the same cigar for several days prior to smoking the next one and see if the draw improves (I'd bet it will).

I have found that switching to 65% RH nearly 10 years ago has eliminated virtually all draw, burn and flavor (associated with aging) problems that would have previously been blamed on construction problems when in fact it was over humidification that was the cause.

I hope this helps

~Mark

I tend to keep them around 65%. I use the Heartfelt beads and a digital hygrometer (just calibrated). But having said that, a number of them are from the local B&M and are smoked within a few days after purchase, so they may be stored higher than 65%. The Padrons from the same store always have a better draw. It's not just the Oliva's--others have been a bit tight: Punch, Macanudo, and a couple of others I don't recall.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was just curious if what I was experiencing was typical and it sounds like it probably is. I'll try to let the non-Padrons sit a little longer in the humi.

Found if cigars are fresh off the truck they tend to improve if I let them set in the humi for a few weeks. On more that 1 occasion, was about to submit a review on a particular cigar but decided to let them set and later found they had greatly improved. Also seem to find more draw issues with the 'box pressed' than the 'rolled', then there are some that just don't improve no matter what. :ss

Last Friday (09/05) I received a fiver of Illusione cg:4 from a box split.
Was going to smoke one on Sunday 09/07, and after cutting I noticed the draw was VERY bad, could hardly draw any air through the cigar.
Needless to say I did not light this one, but placed it back in the humi (about 62-63% and 70-71*).
I set up a small cooler earlier this week with 3 half lb bags of 65% beads (1-1/2 lbs total) and moved all five of the cg:4 to the cooler along with a different full box and ten or twelve other singles.
RH in coller stayed at about 63%, but the draw still remained tight so Tuesday night I placed the single cut cg:4 in an empty Taboo Churchill box which I left out on the dresser.
The draw is still so tight I would not even think of trying to light this stick.
Now we have had the house open the last few days (not running air conditioning so no lowering of humidity in the house) and local RH has been high (I am certain above 65% as we have had thick fog in the mornings).
Any ideas as to what I can do to improve the draw on these cg:4?
Can I leave it in my makeshift "drybox" alone for several days?
I want to try them but I don't want to ruin any by smoking one "before its prime".
And I assume all this will change in the winter when RH in the house drops like a stone . . .

Thanks for your comments, Chris

Last edited:
I run my humi at 65 and will agree that the olivia v's do have a tigher draw....the flavor is amazing though

So, is the draw on the Padron's considered a little loose compared to other sticks or what?

Padron is the one manufacturer that I've always found to have a looser draw. For me it is a little too loose. So to answer your question, from my experience, Padrons are a little loose compared to other sticks. IMO a little too loose. :2

To each his own.

I'm a little new to this. I smoke a fair amount of Padron's (2000's/3000's). One thing I've noticed when smoking other cigars is that draw on most of them is noticeably tighter. I had an Oliva V torpedo the other day and found the draw to be tight. This is the second one of those that were like that. I've also had the G's and they were a bit better but still seemed a little tight.

Some of the stick's I've had apparently are known to have a tight draw--so I'm not counting those.

I'm 95% sure I'm cutting them properly (with a 2 blade cutter). The Oliva V's I had to cut pretty far. One of them I cut past the cap and it unraveled (but the draw was nice, lol). It's the same for torpedos and just the regular rounded sticks.

So, is the draw on the Padron's considered a little loose compared to other sticks or what? The draw on them seem perfect to me. And I'm often a little dissappointed with many other cigars. I'm just curious what others will say about this.

You are correct
Which padrons have you smoked? the regular line or the 26 or 64.
I have smoked close to a 100 of the 26 and 64 lines and have never had one that wasn't perfect.

I recently picked up a box of Padron 3000 M. The draw was a bit tighter than normal, which is a little loose for me. This box however is perfect. 64's are always dead on.

Padron is the one manufacturer that I've always found to have a looser draw. For me it is a little too loose. So to answer your question, from my experience, Padrons are a little loose compared to other sticks. IMO a little too loose. :2

To each his own.

I agree. I still enjoy them but I would prefer just a little tighter draw.

I never really noticed it until I read this thread. I've had some from various lines over the last several weeks (3000M, 64th, 26th and a 40th) and have noticed that they draw noticeably looser that the other sticks I've smoked. I'd prefer if they were just a tad tighter. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but I can't help wonder how a tighter draw would enhance the flavors??

I never really noticed it until I read this thread. I've had some from various lines over the last several weeks (3000M, 64th, 26th and a 40th) and have noticed that they draw noticeably looser that the other sticks I've smoked. I'd prefer if they were just a tad tighter. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but I can't help wonder how a tighter draw would enhance the flavors??

A loose draw will make the cigar burn hotter. This will impart an undesirable "burnt" flavor to the smoke. A loose draw will also destroy any subtle changes the cigar was designed to impart during the smoke. If the draw is loose it is best to slow down and draw less smoke through the stick each time to attempt to control the burn temperature.

As a number of people have mentioned, I too have noticed the Oliva's tend to be a bit tight. Not unsmokeable of course but I would prefer it to be right in the middle. Personally I would prefer a slightly tighter draw over a slightly loose draw - reason is too loose and it's like I'm sucking air through a straw. But right in middle is perfect for me, a little resistance but not hard to draw.

Anyhow, I've read some claim it's the level of humidity. I would have to disagree with this. I run my humi at 70% and I've had cigars come out of it that were too loose, just right, and too tight. Yet, I've never had one so tight it was unsmokeable. So, if I can get such a wide difference of draw I can't see how lowering my humidity 5% will make any difference. And if it did, well then wouldn't it make other cigars draw too loose?

I'm surprised noone has yet stated the obvious... cigars are human made products. There's a fair margin of error in construction. Maybe the roller of your cigar messed up a few and rolled them too tight or too loose. Maybe the roller was a less experienced one that just got onto the rolling production floor. Sadly, that's the byproduct of being human made. As for consistently tight or loose draws... maybe the line is made by the same group of rollers, maybe that's how they learned to roll them. I don't know. :confused: :)

Rev.

Back