Closet/Humidor Transformation

PolarGar

ChestBeater
I have decided I am converting a smallish closet into a humidor. It has long been a dream of mine to have a walk in humidor - this won't quite be that, but is bigger than I need at present.

Somehow I think I will grow into it.

I have received the first box of Spanish Cedar 1/4 inch panel for the walls and have a Hydra LG on the way. I will keep you posted with pics and more detail as the materials start to flow way up north here. :tu

I have decided I am converting a smallish closet into a humidor. It has long been a dream of mine to have a walk in humidor - this won't quite be that, but is bigger than I need at present.

Somehow I think I will grow into it.

I have received the first box of Spanish Cedar 1/4 inch panel for the walls and have a Hydra LG on the way. I will keep you posted with pics and more detail as the materials start to flow way up north here. :tu

sounds awesome:ss

Best wishes on this.
It will be exciting..
planning
building
repairing the mistakes
building the humidor
enjoying the smoke system
:)

I am envious
Tom

Food for thought...
How many cubic feet will it be?
Will the Hydra XL be able to cope with the bone dry climate?

Good luck on this. I have dreamed of doing the same. I have been too worried of the problems with keeping humidity. Are you going to replace the interior type door with an exterior type door for a better seal? Keep us posted on the progress. I will learn through you my friend.:tu

There will certainly be pics before/during/and after. I have not posted sooner as the materials required to do this were ordered weeks ago and are only now trickling in.

I am very grateful already for the feedback on this thread and I haven't even started yet!

How big of a closet is this? Is it a walk-in or something like a coat closet?

I always thought it would be cool to convert a coat closet into a humidor with a smoked glass door. Hit a switch and turn on the LEDs and be able to see the whole thing through the door.

Bro, you have to post some progress pics up and invite me out there raid the thing for some good smokes!!!:chk:chk:chk:chk:chk

This is something I have been dying to do with a coat closet we aren't using. The wife won't let me though, so I will just live vicariously through those of you that can!
Scott

It is more like a coat closet. In fact when I referred to it as "smallish" I was doing so to avoid giving it a complex. :D

The thing is three feet deep max and about six feet wide. What makes it even worse is our house is barn shaped and so one side is sloped from bottom to top. I'm thinking the Hydra LG will be plenty, however just in case I plan to hang a bag or two of bead when they arrive to help support the Hydra both on humidity output and maintaining the RH.

How big of a closet is this? Is it a walk-in or something like a coat closet?

I always thought it would be cool to convert a coat closet into a humidor with a smoked glass door. Hit a switch and turn on the LEDs and be able to see the whole thing through the door.

That sound pretty cool! I'm very interested in watching this progress. You better post pictures before someone posts that annoying "This Thread is Useless Without Pictures" picture!

Food for thought...
How many cubic feet will it be?
Will the Hydra XL be able to cope with the bone dry climate?

really? i suppose it depends on where you are, here it's wickedly humid, especially in the summer

Based upon location I would suspect temp to be a bigger problem than humidity. But I am concerned with being able to maintain humidity. I am assuming this is an interior closet with three walls facing an interior room. With one wall against an outside wall, you may have problems maintaining temp in winter.

Are you stripping the sheetrock and then installing a vapor barrier on all sides, including the ceiling and floor? Otherwise the humidity will leach into the sheetrock.

An Oasis XL will humidify a humidor of up to 1000 cigars. A closet 6'x3'x5' is 90cubic feet. A single MoistNAir will humidify 48 cubic ft.

Not trying to put a damper on your project, but there are several things to consider when doing a conversion of this magnitude.:2

Hi all,

It has been a while and I suppose an update (with pics!) is in order.

The plan was to empty the closet of all the random boxes of hockey cards, pipe tobacco, etc and haul the carpet out. That is done. What remains to be done is strip out the trim, wash the walls to remove all the smoke stains - I used to smoke a pipe in the room this closet is in - and get ready for the next phases.

The plan is to cover the existing walls very carefully and completely with vapor barrier and then put some hardwood flooring on the teeny floor. I said it was small and I wasn't kidding. The only member of the family that will consider this a walk in humidor is our family toy poodle Boomer.

It is 22 inches deep, 81 inches across the bottom and 104 inches from top to bottom at the highest point. As you can see the room is sloped as it is an exterior wall and our house is barn shaped. Still and all I would imagine I will be able to store several thousand sticks in here without much trouble.

What is attached here is the pre-anything version. I will attach three more photos in a second.

Back