Lowland Gorilla
Sorry, have to take a break from the crap cigars. :ss

Cigar: Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Vitola: 1979 (Robusto)
Price: $124/20 off CI

Setting: Backyard, about 95 degrees out, about 4:30 and having a Barq's root beer.

Pre-light: Cigar is a nice looking medium brown with small veins. Cigar is firm with no soft spots. Has a rich sweet tobacco smell. Very nice. The labels are nice and loose and overall the cigar is a nice presentation and speaks quality. The triple cap cut easily with the Palio using my cranial screw top method. Cold draw was slightly firm with a nice rich taste to it. The cigar is dated December of 2007.

IMG_0010-1.jpg

First third: The cigar lit up easily using the Ronson and we were in business. Initial flavors were typical Pepin, a bit of spice and the nic tingle and a bit of leather. The ash is nice and white so far. I noticed a crack in the wrapper about half an inch in. I may have done that when giving the squeeze test. Not affecting the burn so far. Kinda medium bodied so far with a light finish/aftertaste. Draw is on the slightly firm side of perfect.

IMG_0011-2.jpg

Second third: The cigar is really smooth. The last one I had of these about six months ago was much spicier and a bit harsher. Time seems to do nice things to these cigars. The leather and wood flavors are the main ones coming through, with a touch of slightly bitter chocolate in the background. Pepper which I remember dominating this stick is really staying in the background. The ash has turned more of a salt and pepper color and is starting to flake a bit and dumping uncerimoniously into my lap at about the one inch mark. Body is moving into the medium/full range and the finish is becoming a bit more creamy and lingering. Burn is getting a small bit of wave to it but nothing that requires attention. So far so good.

IMG_0013-1.jpg

Final third: The cigar is remaining really smooth with just the tingle of spice on the tongue remaining. Smoke production is thick and pleasing, great for smoke rings. Leather remains the dominant flavor with that slight bit of chocolate in the background. Body has moved into the full range. Pretty good nicotine strenth as well. The pepper I remember from the last one never really came out full strength but did become a bit more prominent toward the end.

IMG_0014-2.jpg

Final thoughts: I recieved this in a bomb from Matt (thank you sir, very much appreciated) and after seeing them on sale at joecigar I decided to light it up. Probably shoulda given it a couple days rest in the humi but it smoked great. So great in fact that I jumped on the deal as $3 a stick for these is a steal. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the cigar, it was smooth and tasty and very well made. Even the crack in the wrapper caused no problems at all. Definitely looking forward to the next one.

Liked it: Yes. For serious this time.
Buy again: Just did, though I don't think I'd drop $124 a box on them.
Reccommend: Sure, pretty darned good smoke.

One of my latest favorites!
I picked up 20 the last time there was a Joe Cigar special,
& another 20 this time.

Incredibly smooth with a plethora of flavors, from the initial burst of pepper to the creamy spicy middle, to the last bit of bite.
One damm fine cigar!:tu

Great review. I had 1 about a week ago that had been resting about 2 months, but it was a spice bomb. I was expecting that but it was a little too spicy for me. Hopefully some time in the humi will do them well :)

This was my first Don Pepin Garcia ever, a gift from my cigarbuddy SmokeyNL, and he told me that I would love this cigar. He was right. The 1979 is a robusto size cigar, 127 mm long with a 50 ring made out of Nicaraguan tobacco with a dark corojo ’99 wrapper. The aroma is deep dark manure and the wrapper looks great, silky smooth with hardly any veins. The predraw is fine, with some fruity flavors, which I have never tasted in a cigar before.

The first flavor are wood with some wild summer fruit on the background. The fruit flavors become stronger while the wood disappears. There is a slight hint of chocolate noticeable which slowly grows in strength. Approximately halfway the cigar the fruit flavor disappears and some nutty flavors surface soon to be followed by some white pepper.

This cigar produces lots and lots of smoke and strong straight ashes. I do realize that this review makes the cigar sound a little weird, fruity & nutty, but it’s the best way to describe the flavors.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I want some boxes of this cigar.

Construction: 16 / 20
Draw: 16 / 20
Appearance: 16 / 20
Smoke && ash: 9 / 10
Burn: 16 / 20
Aroma (foot) 7 / 10
Aroma (body) 8 / 10
Aroma (head) 8 / 10

I bought one of these about a week and half ago. I was going to wait a few more weeks before lighting it up, but this review has moved up that timeline to tomorrow morning. I hope it goes well with coffee!

I bought one of these about a week and half ago. I was going to wait a few more weeks before lighting it up, but this review has moved up that timeline to tomorrow morning. I hope it goes well with coffee!
I would consider this more of a dinner smoke than a morning smoke.:2

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The DPG Black robusto is my favorite cigar right now. I love it with my morning coffee, after work, or after dinner.

I would consider this more of a dinner smoke than a morning smoke.:2

Looks like it may have to be. Since my vacation started yesterday, I smoked four cigars yesterday! I woke up this morning with a sore throat and the worst case of cigar mouth ever!

If my throat is okay this evening (it's already starting to feel better) I may try it this evening. On the other hand, I may wait another whole day before lighting up, as this 'gar is pretty hard to get in my area and I don't want to waste it!

Smoked another one of these last night. It has been a month since I had smoked one and these have now been resting in the humidor for over two months. Wow! What a totally different cigar. The initial Pepin spice/pepper blast upon lighting but immediately settles into a smooth, sweet tobacco with underlying hints of chocolate. As this cigar entered into the final third it starts to pick up some spice to finish off the sweet tobacco with some underlying wood and leather.

This won my best cigar of the weekend award. And I'm wishing I had more than just the 5 or 6 left in the humi. What a change after a few months. If every cigar only did that.
:tu:tu

Can't go wrong with these. Have you tried the toro size? I keep both in my humi and the toro is even better.

Jorge

Smoked another one of these last night. It has been a month since I had smoked one and these have now been resting in the humidor for over two months. Wow! What a totally different cigar. The initial Pepin spice/pepper blast upon lighting but immediately settles into a smooth, sweet tobacco with underlying hints of chocolate. As this cigar entered into the final third it starts to pick up some spice to finish off the sweet tobacco with some underlying wood and leather.

This won my best cigar of the weekend award. And I'm wishing I had more than just the 5 or 6 left in the humi. What a change after a few months. If every cigar only did that.
:tu:tu

I'm with you. On Sat night I smoked one that had been in the humidor for about 6 mos. The flavors are all there, just better balanced than when fresh.

BlackIrish

Back