El truinfadore with pics

barbourjay

random cigar bum
So heard Pete had a new cigar that didn't exist. Read an article on CA about how he didn't really want to hype this up as it would be a small release so i decided i would try a few. Saw that NHC had them in stock and ordered a box and grabbed a fiver from a closer shop. The box arrived today and the fiver got here Monday. The fiver was really wet so i let them settle a bit but just had to try one. The packaging on the box is pretty unique. Pics of the packaging:

SDC10168.jpg

SDC10170.jpg

SDC10171.jpg

SDC10172.jpg

Looks to me like the pigtails stayed intact and the box was very tight so they wouldn't slide around too much. Very simple but very cool to me.

So yesterday i decided to fire one up, here's it all laid out waiting to be toasted and fired.

SDC10154.jpg

i'm too lazy sometimes to get the images in full focus. i just take them when i have the chance. The first thing i noticed is that the triple cap is huge. I decided to cut between the first and second cap. Pre-light draw was just about right.

The first inch or so was definately pepinesque. This cigar over all packed a pretty good nicotine punch. The ash was grey and very loose. Flakes all over the place right now. As seen in the next few pics:

SDC10157.jpg

Did i mention i had to re-light it about 4 times? I don't puff all the time but i don't leave it alone for more than a minute. It might have been the FL humidity but i doubt it (it was only 45% percent yesterday). I think these need to rest and probably even be dry boxed but they need more time to dry up a little. The flavor was very good and had the same type of flavor i get smoking a cabaiguan maduro but with cooler and what seemed creamier smoke.

After about the first 2 inches the ash fell off onto what i was reading. As i said it was very loose. Shortly afterward i had to re-light.

SDC10162.jpg

Shortly after i had to re-light again. Here you can see the ash and how flaky it was

SDC10164.jpg

SDC10166.jpg

Finally after another 4 or so re-lights i was getting towards the end. The flavors were good and really complex. I tasted roasted nuts and lots of rich creamy flavors.

SDC10167.jpg

Shortly after it went out again. I was getting frustrated and had a decent buzz going on so i just decided to call it quits and try again later once they had more rest. These could develop into a great smoke. I wouldn't say it's a tatuaje black but it's close and almost just as ugly. At the price i think these are great. I still have 4 more and the box to go to find out.

If you want anymore pics let me know.

Nice review!! :tu
I keep checking the mail box every day waiting for mine to show up.
I think I'll still try one right away to see what kind of impression it leaves me with. Plus, I don't think I'd be able to wait anyways!

Great review and pics! These will be great in a month or two when they dry out a bit. Hopefully these will be a regular release as part of the Cabaiguan maduro line.

Just like the Tat Black's, these need to dry out a bit like you said. As far as the compairson to the Cabiguan maduro, your dead on, literally. According to Pete, these are Cabiguan Maduro lanceros.

Smoking one right now and had to relight it after being on the phone. Never had a Cabiguan Maduro, but this flavor profile seem different from others made by Pete Johnson, maybe because of its size. Enjoying this smoke with hints of black licorice added with the usual pepper spice. BTW Thanx to Bengalman for expanding my horizons to try lanceros since he smoked a V months ago at the Cigar Affair during a tasting and it turned out to be great discovery. :D

Smoking one right now and had to relight it after being on the phone. Never had a Cabiguan Maduro, but this flavor profile seem different from others made by Pete Johnson, maybe because of its size. Enjoying this smoke with hints of black licorice added with the usual pepper spice. BTW Thanx to Bengalman for expanding my horizons to try lanceros since he smoked a V months ago at the Cigar Affair during a tasting and it turned out to be great discovery. :D

Lancero is my favorite size right next to corona gorda. Both offer great flavors. As far as the Cigar Affair goes, I will be there on the 23rd for another Oliva event. Hopefully you can make it out to the upcoming one!

Thanks for the review and pics. :tu

I’ve been wondering how they are and what they look like. Cool packaging too.

Had one of these Saturday. Didn't have any construction problems but the flavor was really sort of so so. Not bad but nothing that made me say wow. Be interesting to try one with some time on it.

Great review they are a great size you get that Tobbaco flavor so good. The only problem I have is when smoking that size out feel like somewhat of a fool.

Back