How to pimp out your 18-ct cigar caddy w/pics!

SUOrangeGuy

Alpha Silverback
Over about four months I got my hands on two of the original Otter box cigar caddy 5400's. One in black and one in yellow.

They were discontinued but are now back in black.

Here are some pictures of how they arrived.

caddies.jpg

They are perfectly stackable with little feet that lock into the one underneath.

stacked.jpg

The originals came with credo foam humidifiers and these trays.

new.jpg

PIMP OUT #1

The most important change I have made was to switch out the trays for RonC's deluxe trays from cigarsolutions.com. They are available in 6" robusto size or 8" churchill size. If the top foam remains in the lid each case can hold three trays or 18-24 cigars. Removing the top foam allows room for four trays or 24-32 cigars.

trays.jpg

$3.99 http://www.cigaraccessories.cigarsolutions.com/travelhumidortrays.html

I originally replaced the foam in the credo with beads and this works well enough. The only problem is that bead fragments work their way out and "snow" onto the cigars. The solution was my:

PIMP OUT #2

The Puck 50 from Mark at Cigarmony.com. The sponge on top stops the "snow" and now they have a clear bottom so that you can tell when to rehydrate. I replaced the credo with the puck as pictured without using the velcro because the foam is more than dense enough to hold it in place.

puck.jpg

puckfit.jpg

$14.99 http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=96

The new cigar caddy has no credo so you'll have to cut a place for it. That is very simple. The xikar case has the credo so its a simple replacement.

PIMP OUT #3

A perfecto shaped hygrometer or small bead tube (from heartfeltindustries.com) is also an option if you don't mind losing cigar space. The tube is good idea if you remove the lid foam and use four trays. The hygrometer is always nice.

options.jpg

My last picture is of two of my new favorite accessories.

options2.jpg

The left item is the humidifier case from cigarsolutions. It holds 6 oz of heartfelt beads in a 4"x12" bead bag. It is very well built and an excellent humidifier for a larger desktop humidor.

The right item is a fiver of CigarIX cigar holders also from cigarsolutions. They are thin enough that I can put a few into the edges of a cigar caddy without losing space. Now I always have a dependable cigar stand when I'm out.

I want to thank David, Mark, and Ron for supplying me with such dependable accessories.

Last edited:
never seen those cigar holders before, do they work well? they certainly look useful. nice caddies you got there

stearns

Awesome setup. How well does the humidity circulate in there with all that foam? I've been thinking about one of these for awhile now.

I've used these to hold cigars for over a month at a time when on school break. I've never noticed any humidity related problems with any cigars. I've also used them for cigar overrun when I buy too much and have never noticed a problem.

I've never put the hygrometer at the bottom because you wouldn't be able to see it without removing the trays but I doubt the foam makes a big difference.

The new version of this caddy uses a Boveda pack on the side which would equally touch each tray if you were worried about it. The beads are easier for me.

I've used these to hold cigars for over a month at a time when on school break. I've never noticed any humidity related problems with any cigars. I've also used them for cigar overrun when I buy too much and have never noticed a problem.

I've never put the hygrometer at the bottom because you wouldn't be able to see it without removing the trays but I doubt the foam makes a big difference.

The new version of this caddy uses a Boveda pack on the side which would equally touch each tray if you were worried about it. The beads are easier for me.

the trays are made out of open cell foam. humidity passes through them.

Awesome thanks. I do own a travel humi with foam but nothing that holds that much. I was thinking of getting the one with that Boveda pack, taking it out and adding one of these Aluminum Humidifier to it instead. I'm also thinking of adding some of heartfelts humidity sheets to a couple other travel humi's I have.

Very Nice I been watning to get a caddy, and Now I think I'll go with the otter box. And really like the changes. great job !!

Very nice setup:tu

Those Cigarix stands are nice, I have used the same one for months with no problems.

Me too. I bought a five pack and as you can see four are still new. I wouldn't cry to lose one though.

Very Nice I been watning to get a caddy, and Now I think I'll go with the otter box. And really like the changes. great job !!

Both of mine came from eBay because they weren't available for sale again until very recently. I use otter box brand products for many things I own and have never been let down.

I should point out that I got the humigauge perfecto hygrometer from littlehavanacigars.com not heartfelt. They have been out of stock for a long time as I recall.

The only place I have found them currently for sale is Humidorhut.com for twice what I paid. $40. Thats still not too bad I guess but you could buy a small round adjustable and cut a place in the lid foam for less $. I have never bought from humidorhut.com so cannot vouch for them.

http://www.humidorhut.com/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=509

I have a digi very similar to that one. I don't know if others carry it but I bought mine at the Tinder Box at the mall here.

I think I've seen this show on TV "Pimp my Ride". Now you got "Pimp my Humidor". Nice work and thanks for the tips. What did you pay for the caddies and supplies in total?

I think I've seen this show on TV "Pimp my Ride". Now you got "Pimp my Humidor". Nice work and thanks for the tips. What did you pay for the caddies and supplies in total?

Cigarmony sells the 18-ct cigar caddy for 39.95 and the puck for 14.99 plus shipping (use the cs2008 discount code for 5% off).

The trays cost 3.99 each from Ron at cigarsolutions. We are attempting a group buy right now so if we get enough people that could be less.

So about 65 plus shipping costs.

I bought my caddies on eBay but didn't get them an cheaper really.

Cigarmony sells the 18-ct cigar caddy for 39.95 and the puck for 14.99 plus shipping (use the cs2008 discount code for 5% off).

The trays cost 3.99 each from Ron at cigarsolutions. We are attempting a group buy right now so if we get enough people that could be less.

So about 65 plus shipping costs.

I bought my caddies on eBay but didn't get them an cheaper really.

Cool. Thanks for getting back to me. They look really nice and seem to serve the purpose. Hey if I ever need my car pimped can I call you???
:r

Back