Hurricane Ike - Restoring Power

SHOE

(__@_______{{{
Hi everyone. Boomer posted a thread about offering up a prayer for the victims of Hurricane Ike, which I appreciate. As a follow up to that, I have a cousin that works for an electrical utilities contractor here and 4 crews (including his) are leaving Western North Carolina for Texas in the morning at 5 am. He came by today to say goodbye since he wouldn't see us for a while. Would you all mind offering a prayer for their safety? - it's very dangerous in the conditions they are facing. They expect to be there 3 weeks to a month. I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
He'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm in the same line of work and have heard rumors we might get to go help. It's a great thing they'll be doing.

Hi everyone. Boomer posted a thread about offering up a prayer for the victims of Hurricane Ike, which I appreciate. As a follow up to that, I have a cousin that works for an electrical utilities contractor here and 4 crews (including his) are leaving Western North Carolina for Texas in the morning at 5 am. He came by today to say goodbye since he wouldn't see us for a while. Would you all mind offering a prayer for the safety of all the electrical workers? - it's very dangerous in the conditions they are facing. They expect to be there 3 weeks to a month. I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
Mark

Maybe I should rephrase - it sounded a little selfish didn't it? The above is what I meant.

I passed quite a few crews on my way back into Houston from NC yesterday and today and it was a blessing to see them. Tell your cousin that we greatly appreciate his time and effort here in Houston.

I passed quite a few crews on my way back into Houston from NC yesterday and today and it was a blessing to see them. Tell your cousin that we greatly appreciate his time and effort here in Houston.
Will do.

Thing is, his company is a subcontractor, so they work their butts off. They're always one of the first groups called out of NC. My father-in-law was the superintendant (just retired) and he tells stories of going to Louisiana and the "Big Dog" power guys asking him, "Well, do you think you can get it hot here in a week?" My FIL said something like, "My God, son, don't you friggin' people work down here? We'll have it hot this afternoon and half the GD state back on by next week. How about you f'n people just stay out of the way and let us do it." I think he said they had about 5% of the utility workforce in that one area and got power to over 60% of the people. They work their asses off. Fortunately, I think their work has been slow around here so you guys got more of them this time. That's a good thing, trust me.

Take care.

Back