Jetlite - What Am I Doing Wrong?

BlackDog

ChestBeater
I'm doing something wrong when I refill my Jetlite. I bought it a week or two ago, and this is the first time I'm trying to refill it.

I've fully purged the lighter 3 or 4 times to assure it is empty, hold it to my ear to ensure no butane is coming out when the button is depressed. (BTW, that click in your ear is loud.) It is well and truely empty.

Next I close the lid, turn the lighter upside down, and put the nozzle of the butane canister on the nipple, and depress the cannister firmly onto the nipple. A brief "squirt" of butane comes out of the nozzle as I depress. I then hold the cannister in the depressed position on the lighter nipple for about 10 seconds.

I then remove the cannister, and set the lighter in the upright position on the counter for 5 or so minutes for the butane to "settle."

When I try to light the Jetlite, I get a blue flame for a fraction of a second, then it goes out. I can hear butane cming out of the lighter, so I presume it has been filled. If I depress the nipple, I get a strong shot of butane.

Am I doing something wrong? Why don't I get a strong steady flame like I did when the lighter was new?

There might be carbon build up on the burner.
Try using some compressed air.
Just turn the lighter horizontally and position the nozzle 1" away from the burner and have at it. Let the lighter warm up for a few minutes before trying to relight.

Good Luck.

I have found that mine works best if I set the flame adjustment just barely above the closed position. Cadillac was telling me that he met a lady that works for one of the lighter companies and she told him that when you are filling your lighter you should turn the flame adjustment all the way up. She said that when you do this and light it the first time after the fill up that it will help blow the flame nozzle clean. Then you adjust it to the proper setting. I have been doing this and so far I have not had to use the compressed air to clean the nozzle.

There might be carbon build up on the burner.
Try using some compressed air.
Just turn the lighter horizontally and position the nozzle 1" away from the burner and have at it. Let the lighter warm up for a few minutes before trying to relight.

Good Luck.

You can also use butane for this too. Just squirt it through the burner. It has helped me correct many, many lighters.

I had the same thing happpen to me. I corrected it by turning the flame adjustment screw all the way down. Then it works fine, even with Ronson fuel in it.

Back