Looking for a couple of recommendations...

Laserjock

Young Ape
I am one of the lucky ones who has a wife that is interested in trying cigars. Being a noob, I am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices and am still trying to figure out what I like as well as what to introduce to her initially. I am just finishing seasoning off my new 120 ct humi and looking to start filling it with some stick for both of us to try.

That being said, I was hoping the Gorilla Army could offer up some suggestions.

I am looking for some recommendations on what your favorites might be in both the mild and medium strength/flavor combinations for these sizes:

Petite corona
Corona/Panatela
Robusto

I believe my wife would be more comfortable starting out with the PC or Corona sizes...but Robustos are not out of the question. I like PCs and Robustos, mainly due to time restrictions I have most of the time.

I recently tried an RP 1990 PC on a long drive and really liked it. Also tried the Perdoma Lot23 maduro robusto but it had serious burn issues that I think were due to it being straight from the B&M and it might have been a little wet.

Anyway, thanks for any recommendations anyone might have and thanks for all the knowledge shared on the board...I continue to read and try to learn.

LJ

I agree with the Taboo Twist suggestion. Also, try some Rocky Patel Connecticuts, and the Fonseca 5-50's. They are good beginner smokes.

As a newbie, I have liked all of the 5 Vegas line from Cigars International. Also Flor de Oliva, CAO Gold, CAO Criollo. Start with the Connecticut shade wrappers for their mild creamy taste. Also, always sip something sweet while smoking (coffee latte, Dr. Pepper, Iced Tea.) Smaller ring gauges will frequently have a tighter draw becuse they are usually packed tighter with tobacco. I prefer cigars with a ring gauge < 50, but frequently have to clear a pathway for the smoke with a cigar poker. I keep an old-fashioned ice pick next to my ash tray. Clip the cap with a cigar cutter, check the draw before toasting/lighting, and then, if necessary, carefully work the ice pick into the clipped cap and check the draw again. Sometimes I have to use the ice pick several times while smoking tiny ring gauge cigars (40-42 RG.) Welcome to the Slope!

A noob from 2006? Whoa talk about aging! :D Find a sized sampler from CI and that should help with tasting.

Hmmmm
Taboo Twist
Taboo Cameroon
Tat Series P
Monte White - possibly a tad pricey though

A noob from 2006? Whoa talk about aging! :D Find a sized sampler from CI and that should help with tasting.

Yeah..pathetic huh??? I started reading on this board before I actually got started...had a gap in time where I just never pulled the trigger and I have been "sampling" different cigars on a very infrenquent basis for a over a year now.

Have just recent decided to get more fully "vested" in the hobby...so while I did join in 2006, I am just now taking off my own cello, so to speak...LOL

5 Vegas Gold
El Rey del Mundo (Honduras)
Felipe Gregorio Dominicana
Padilla Hybrid
Partagas Classic (Dominican)
Perdomo Reserve Champagne
Rocky Patel Conneticut
Romeo y Julieta Vintage

These are a few of my favorite early-day smokes.

I second the suggestions for a cusano 18 double connecticut and the 5 vegas golds. She may also want to try the perdomo reserve champagne. That is always a nice mild stick.

I'd give her a Montesino. They're made by Fuente, but lighter. I like to have some around for the non-regular (would that be irregular?) smokers.

All of these are great options. My wife really enjoys Taboo twists (She asked me the other day if her Taboo "twisters" came in yet). She has also tried Fonseca 5-50's, CAO Blacks and seemed to like those. The main advice is to stick with something mild to start with. The Cusano Double 18 Connecticut would be a great start as would Perdomo champagne.

Cusano 18 Double Connecticut

:tpd: Great, creamy smoke. While mild, the double wrapper, I feel, adds more dimension.

I'm not really into mild smokes but I did like the Dbl CT. As for regular 'ol cigars, you can't go wrong with a Macanudo, known the world over for being the most mild of cigars. Perhaps she'll like that it's a 'big brand' too.

My wife prefers the infused cigars. Not flavored per se, but infused with oils and such. They are damn tasty (and really are cigars not cigarettes) and here are her favorites in order:

Drew Estates/Natural's JUCY LUCY
Acid's Blondie
Drew Estates' Kahlua
Havana Honey

The gals like the flirty names of the first two (and my wife is a blondie). I think your wife will like the size of the cigars as well; mine does. They are small, I'm not exactly sure what size.

...so while I did join in 2006, I am just now taking off my own cello, so to speak...LOL

:ss:tu Welcome back!

These are all great suggestions and I really appreciate all the input!

I guess the whole discovery process is half the fun...:chk

These are all great suggestions and I really appreciate all the input!

I guess the whole discovery process is half the fun...:chk
That it is! There isn't a whole lot I can add to what others have already said, but some of the smaller Acid cigars might be worth looking into. Women like them I've found. Also, some flavored cigars aren't half bad and are appealing to women - Tatiana Vanillas aren't bad at all, and the CAO Flavours might be worth checking out.

You might want to try Sancho Panza Double Maduro. They have both corona and robusto sizes. They are mild-medium in strength but loaded with flavor.:2

My siter-in-law really likes:
La Aurora (camaroon) Robusto (5" x 50)
Montecristo White, Especial #3 (5.5" x 44) or Rothschilde (5.0" x 52)

:D :2

Back