Looking for a "smooth" entrance to Bourbon

Funkalicious

Utterly ri-donk-ulous
I've had Bourbon a few times before and have liked it but can't for the life of me remember what I've had...

In general, I am looking for a smooth-sipping bourbon - the huge alcohol burn punch in the gut is just something that I can't do and one of the reasons I have yet to find a scotch that I like.

Any recommendations for a bourbon would be welcomed!

-Matt

Check the bourbon sticky on this forum, but you know there's a bourbon slope as well. :r

My favorites are Eagle Rare 10, Knob Creek, and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage and Woodford Reserve. :tu

Check the bourbon sticky on this forum, but you know there's a bourbon slope as well. :r

My favorites are Eagle Rare 10, Knob Creek, and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage and Woodford Reserve. :tu

Absolutly the smoothest, least bite and excellant over ice and a lime wedge on the side (appearence counts :). The Evan Williams Single Barrel is both affordable and excellant. Easy to spot, it's the only EV bottle with a wax seal on the top.

There are some other good bourbons, but come with a little more bite. The 1776 is also very good but maybe a tad more than you might want to pay if your still in the test mode. Outstanding over ice.

Great place for bourbon info....

Of course we all have different tastes, but other good ones would include Woodford, Eagle Rare, and Pappy's. Buffaloe Trace ..... I had one sip and left it in the motel room for the maid, thank God I had a bottle of EVSB on stand by. YMMV

Remember - Life is too short for Philly blunts and cheap liquor.

All of these are Awesome. I have been going through 2 bottles of Evan Williams per week. THink I have a problem?

Bookers - Smooth/Slightly Sweet/Rich finish Kinda pricey

Makers Mark - Smooth kinda like your goto gar

Buffalo Trace - another good goto

others woodford, knob creek

I second Basil Hayden's. Also try:

Elmer T Lee
Four Roses
Rock Hill Farms

To be honest though, if your drinking bourbon neat or even on the rocks, your going to get some burn. It's a 80+ proof alcohol with no mixer, your going to feel it. Just start with a cup full of ice and about half bourbon and let it sit for a few minutes and swish it around. Drink it like this at first. THen each time after, put in less ice, let sit less, etc. until you get to either drinking it neat, or with just an ice cube or two. Eventually you'll be able to drink George T Stagg with one ice cube with no problems. :)

Kentucky bourbons are my favorites and Jim Beam is my go-to sipping whiskey.

I like mine about three fingers deep over one or two cubes of ice.

Try Drambuie as I have been hooked on it for nearly 25 years. It is great with cigars and it has such a good taste that you don't mind the little 'burn' in the gut after the first sip. After that it is very smooth.

Back