Macanudo 1968 Toro

boonedoggle

Goal: 1,000,000,000 posts
APPEARANCE: This 6 x 54 Toro looked very appetizing after a wonderful Saturday roast meal. For the record, I do not like Macanudo cigars. With that said, the cigar looked and felt well crafted.

PRE-LIGHT AROMA/ BOUQUET: Very nice chocolate smell prior to light up.

SMOKE (volume, color, aroma): Average amount of smoke. Nice and gray. The aroma, color was average as well.

BURN: She had a hard time staying lit and burned uneven consistently.

ASH: Normal gray ash that flaked and fell on a regular basis.

DRAW: The draw was very laborious, and doesn’t provide much smoke until you draw on it a few times. The foot seems to have to be very hot to get a good draw.

FLAVOR 1/3: Started off kinda weird. I normally have my thoughts initially open for a cigar that I have never tried. This cigar did not give me anything up to this point. Not bad, but not necessarily good either. Kinda bland, like smoking water or something.

FINISH/AFTERTASTE 1/3: Consistently smooth, yet missing something. Oh yes, tobacco flavor!

FLAVOR 2/3: Much of the same from the first 1/3 third. Very simple and flavorless.
FINISH/AFTERTASTE 2/3: Seriously, this frickin’ thing has not changed at all. I have a headache from the boredom. Did get minor hints of coffee though.

FLAVOR 3/3: ZZZZZZ

FINISH/AFTERTASTE 3/3: Very, VERY light finish. Finally, this tedious experience is over. Unreal!

SUMMARY: The only reason I finished this cigar was to give it a fair shake. With that said, I cannot believe this MRSPs for $9.50! I have smoked cigars that were $9 less than this, and have had more flavor. Maybe they need some time. I’ll see how the Churchill does in a month or so…or maybe never.

Thanks for the review. I've got a 3-pack coming and I'm not nearly as excited about getting them now.
These things got rave reviews from CA at the IPCPR show, comments like :

It had to be the biggest surprise of the trade show — a new Macanudo cigar with power. America's famed mild brand now comes in a blend built for those who enjoy gutsy cigars. "It's a total departure," said General Cigar president Angel Daniel Núñez. "Macanudo has always been on the lower end for strength."

We'll just have to see...
to be continued...
ptreed

Well thanks for the review. I have a f pk I've been aging for awhile now, guess I'll let them age some more, alot more :r

I'm smoking mine right now. The Churchill (little spots, looks like beetles had the wrapper at one point in the leaf's life. Others looked fine, so I introduced them into my humidor). Strong flavor at first, not too complex though. But likeable. Definitely coffee and tobacco. Burn was kinda ugly too, but the foot was kinda smaller guage than the rest, maybe smashed and lack of good filler at the end. Now one third through, and its gotten smoother. Good flavor for a Mac, probably a little more "robust" or strong than the Macanudo Robust line. Some flavors are present that should leave after aging. I think I'm going to leave my Toro alone for a while and let my Dad try the Robusto this weekend for his Cincinnati trip. The ash is getting better, but not nearly as tight as some. Still somewhat flaky, but better. Pretty cigar though, COULD have color added to the wrapper. Now its getting tasty. Enough so that I'm goining another Sampler to another address or two and age at least one of each size for 6 months+.

Last edited:
You guys might want them to rest a little while longer. I just got mine in the mail on Saturday. I wait at least 2 weeks usually before smoking anything I bought, just to be on the safe side.

I finally got to fire up the toro tonight. Man what a let down. :hn

I wont judge them by just one cigar but I'm in no hurry to smoke the others.

Just got my 3pk in the mail today. I'm going to let them sit for a couple weeks and let them settle down and adjust to their new home before I smoke one. I will say they look very nice, I hope they taste that way as well.
I won't rate them until I smoke all three (as to try and give them a fair shake).

well, I've talked to several other cigar smokers, and some of them said they got something totally different than what I got. Many people said these were some of the most complex cigars they have ever smoked! So, I dunno. To each his own. I guess everyone will have to try them out to see if they are good or not.

well, I've talked to several other cigar smokers, and some of them said they got something totally different than what I got. Many people said these were some of the most complex cigars they have ever smoked! So, I dunno. To each his own. I guess everyone will have to try them out to see if they are good or not.

I agree with you statement, "to each his own".

One thing that I have noticed is that there is a power of suggestion. Macs are known to be mild in flavor and if you walk into thinking it will be Mac-like it may taste of nothing to you. I once saw a special on TV that said the sense of taste is the least developed of the senses and that most of the tastes is perceived with your eyes. They did a special where they had three different drinks, one clear, one pink, and one red. Folks were asked to rank them in order of strength based on taste. Everyone got it backwards, as the clear drink had the most flavor added to it and the others were supplemented with flavorless coloring.

I'm not saying you had preconceived notions going into it, however I always keep this in the back of my mind when reading reviews or tasting cigars myself. The other folks who claim this to be one of the most complex folks could very well be off base.

A few years back one of the cigar magazines (not CA) ran an article about an editor who was invited over his friends house who recently purchased a box of Cohiba Esplendidos. The editor knew that Cuba never produced a gray wrapped cigar in a glass top box. Needless to say they were fakes, but all the rookies were claiming that "they could really taste the Cuban difference"

Lastly, I am a Mac apologist. Mac Maduro was one of the first cigars I smoked ten years ago. When people smoke a cigar with me for the first time I always offer them a Mac Maduro Hyde Park as I think it is mild enough not to turn them green, but it offers a nice sweet maduro flavor which sends them down the slope. I look forward to trying the 1968, and I will probably enjoy it immensely based on my bias.

happy smokes, and apologies for rambling,
-EB

I agree with you statement, "to each his own".

One thing that I have noticed is that there is a power of suggestion. Macs are known to be mild in flavor and if you walk into thinking it will be Mac-like it may taste of nothing to you. I once saw a special on TV that said the sense of taste is the least developed of the senses and that most of the tastes is perceived with your eyes. They did a special where they had three different drinks, one clear, one pink, and one red. Folks were asked to rank them in order of strength based on taste. Everyone got it backwards, as the clear drink had the most flavor added to it and the others were supplemented with flavorless coloring.

I'm not saying you had preconceived notions going into it, however I always keep this in the back of my mind when reading reviews or tasting cigars myself. The other folks who claim this to be one of the most complex folks could very well be off base.

A few years back one of the cigar magazines (not CA) ran an article about an editor who was invited over his friends house who recently purchased a box of Cohiba Esplendidos. The editor knew that Cuba never produced a gray wrapped cigar in a glass top box. Needless to say they were fakes, but all the rookies were claiming that "they could really taste the Cuban difference"

Lastly, I am a Mac apologist. Mac Maduro was one of the first cigars I smoked ten years ago. When people smoke a cigar with me for the first time I always offer them a Mac Maduro Hyde Park as I think it is mild enough not to turn them green, but it offers a nice sweet maduro flavor which sends them down the slope. I look forward to trying the 1968, and I will probably enjoy it immensely based on my bias.

happy smokes, and apologies for rambling,
-EB

I have had many Mac's in the past, and I had high hopes for this one...but I did not have any preconceived expectations. But to me, this thing was so far off any cigar I have ever smoked...it really blew me away.

I like to always get both sides to every story. I live with an open mind. I tried mine thinking it was going to be a first from Macanudo and NOT mild. I was right! Definitely not mild. And I wrote my first review on Top25Cigar.. the first for the 1968! http://www.top25cigar.com/reviewdatabase/product.asp?pkID=11050&showprod=yes&catpkID=967

Also I tried my first PSD4 and went in with way too high of expectations. My mouth watered before I got it after reading reviews! I enjoyed the short much more. It could have been too fresh.. my guess is it was actually in its "sick" phase. However, it was ruined with me. Will try more though! Waiting for the PSD5! Also I thought Montecristo Whites would have more flavor, or at least dimension. Well, the Toro at least. The robusto size was good. It pays to have an open mind with cigars!

I am not a Macanudo fan, and I had not planned to try the 1968. I am glad to hear I am not missing anything.

I had the robusto two weeks ago and agree with MCS in the other thread. A solid smoke with some interesting flavors that I'd give a 7 (out of 10) or worth buying at around $4 - $5 a pop. It seemed a little rough around the edges so it might improve with some more time.

had a macanudo rep at our B&M last wednesday, and they had specials on the 1968 so i bought one, a robusto, i had never had a mac before, and was actually looking forward to it....with that being said, i couldn't agree more with this review...the draw on mine was fine and the burn even, and i had no light problems...but it just tatsted like NOTHING...i kept wondering if my sinuses were broken, or if i left my toungue at home...couldn't taste anything...will not buy another mac

I would say this cigar is a step up for Macanudo, but it still missed the mark. I had one at an event last week and let it burn out about half way through. The draw was so loose the stick would go out every 30 friggin seconds. After relighting for the umpteenth time I decided to snuff the thing. For the same price as a Tatuaje or an Illusione...

Back