New Orleans Cigar Factory

abgoosht

Newbie in the jungle
Hi Guys,
This is officially my first post on CS!:chk
I started smoking cigars in June, and just started smoking seriously, maybe a month and a half ago. Pretty much anything I have right now is new to me. This past weekend I was in New Orleans and I went to the Cigar Factory and got a 10 cigar sampler. I had a couple of questions:
1 - Any Recommendations on how to learn about cigars and more?
2 - was the 10 cigar sampler a good decision?

Thanks,
:cb

Hi Guys,
I started smoking cigars in June, and just started smoking seriously, maybe a month and a half ago. Pretty much anything I have right now is new to me. This past weekend I was in New Orleans and I went to the Cigar Factory and got a 10 cigar sampler. I had a couple of questions:

Thanks,

You start out with some easy questions! Welcome to the forum.

#1: You'll find just about everything about cigars you could ever want to know on this forum. Familiarize yourself with the search tool and you can find answers to most questions you could have.

#2: Samplers are great for finding your own tastes and learning nuances of different kinds of cigars. If I remember right, all the New Orleans Cigar Factory sells are their own house-brand cigars, but at least you can learn about different wrapper types and sizes. Later on you can get some samplers of different cigar-makers and types and learn what style you enjoy most.

Again, welcome.

You start out with some easy questions! Welcome to the forum.

#1: You'll find just about everything about cigars you could ever want to know on this forum. Familiarize yourself with the search tool and you can find answers to most questions you could have.

#2: Samplers are great for finding your own tastes and learning nuances of different kinds of cigars. If I remember right, all the New Orleans Cigar Factory sells are their own house-brand cigars, but at least you can learn about different wrapper types and sizes. Later on you can get some samplers of different cigar-makers and types and learn what style you enjoy most.

Again, welcome.

I agree with mikey, there is more knowledge here than you ever thought possible. Samplers are the prefered way of finding out what you like. Just think, wouldn't it suck if you bought a box/bundle of cigars and found out you didn't like them? Use the search feature and enjoy yourself in the jungle. :tu

1st............welcome to CS
2nd...........as stated above "stickies" are your friend
3rd...........on my 4 day pass B4 getting shipped off to where I am now, I spent many an hour at The Cigar Factory on Decantor St and Al (the owner) is a great guy................I have a box of their robusto size sticks resting at home waiting for my return

NO Cigar Factory makes some good smokes! I visited their shop in NO last summer and watched them roll while having a smoke. In their humidor they run a dehumidifier since it is soo humid there. The guy who owns the shop is from San Diego where I was living at the time, so we had a lot to talk about. For my tastes the Tres Hermanos is the only way to go, others are too mild for me. The TH #3 is my favorite. They sell them pretty fresh, so make sure that you age them for a few months before trying. After a year they are really good. My advise is to buy a box or two of the Tres Hermanos and let them age, for the money they are tough to beat. I think I'll smoke one now!! :ss

Thank you guys so much. You are very nice here. I'm a programmer, and at times when I have questions and I post them to a forum, they are never as nice as you guys.
I actually bought a box, but have not touched it yet. I did buy a Corona separately and enjoyed it very much. So what's a stickie? :)

-Seyed

Thank you guys so much. You are very nice here. I'm a programmer, and at times when I have questions and I post them to a forum, they are never as nice as you guys.
I actually bought a box, but have not touched it yet. I did buy a Corona separately and enjoyed it very much. So what's a stickie? :)

-Seyed

At the top of each forum you will see a thread labled as a "stickie". These are threads that are full of great information about various things here.

1.) Welcome to the jungle! :bl
2.) A local B&M (cigar shop) gave me this book on loan when I first started up earlier this year: http://www.amazon.com/How-Select-Enjoy-Premium-Cigars/dp/0964999838 "How to Select and Enjoy Premium Cigars" by Dale Scott - a very entertaining, easy read, very interesting and informational, I couldn't put it down. Not to mention that it smelled great after sitting in the smoking lounge for such a long time.

3.) When I went to NO this year at the beginning of my slope (slippery slope = the path of cigardom we're on), I bypassed the seeming (to me) touristy NO Cigar Factory and went instead to LA Habana Hemmingway Cigars 537 Toulouse Street. Great little shop off the main drag. Next time, I'll have to try NO Cigar Factory too.

4.) Samplers are great, I always just head to my B&M and have him recommend a few new sticks to try. I enjoy the great personal service and ability to sample a variety of cigars vs. having to buy a full box. Now, I'm currently thinking about a full box of something great just to have but I still dig the variety of singles.

Stickies for information.

The way I got my start, and I would recommend it to anyone if you are willing to spend a bit more money, is to find a local B&M with good selection, and ask the owner what he thinks about different cigars. Some people like a full body cigars, others like them mild, and there are a ton of other variations and types. The owner should have this information and give you a wide selection of different taste from good makers. It is a bit more costly, especially in California where tabacco tax is 40% or so, but you, in my opinion, would get the best start. Some of the samples I started off were just horrible.

Hi Guys,

Thanks,

welcome aboard.

you want good cigars down there in NO, try Don leoncio. Small shop on Canal block and a half away from the sheraton.

Radar (or is it radaR?) sent me a couple of those a few years back & I remember them being pretty decent.

Just start smoking...I'm sure you'll figure out what your likes & dislikes are pretty soon.

Great sticks for the money and humidity down there is never an issue. The guys over on Canal street used to work at NO cigar factory so they are decent rollers. Be sure and visit Marjorie at Mayan Imports over on Magazine street. She is a very knowledgable cigar person and super nice to deal with.

scottie

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot here. I'm actually from Houston, I was just in NO for a conference and just happened to find out about he cigar factory and I went to see how it's rolled, and ended up buying a sampler. Any of you guys have any recommendations?
So far I've Tried
Rocky Patel
Perdomo Lot.23
Punch Rare Corojo
Sancho Panza(it's pretty much my regular)
Alec Bradley MAXX
Don Thomas (not impressed)
the rest I have to go back and look at their names at home.
I have a few that I haven't smoked yet, and I'm looking forward to
Ashton Maduro 40
RP Vintage 92
Oliva Series V Torpedo
La Gloria Cubana Series R
What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot here. I'm actually from Houston, I was just in NO for a conference and just happened to find out about he cigar factory and I went to see how it's rolled, and ended up buying a sampler. Any of you guys have any recommendations?
So far I've Tried
Rocky Patel
Perdomo Lot.23
Punch Rare Corojo
Sancho Panza(it's pretty much my regular)
Alec Bradley MAXX
Don Thomas (not impressed)
the rest I have to go back and look at their names at home.
I have a few that I haven't smoked yet, and I'm looking forward to
Ashton Maduro 40
RP Vintage 92
Oliva Series V Torpedo
Las Glorias Habana
La Gloria Cubana
What do you guys think?

Try the Oliva and the Ashton Aged maduro. Also, let me know what part of Houston you are in and I can recommend some shops that will be nice to deal with and help you in your decisions.

scottie

Try the Oliva and the Ashton Aged maduro. Also, let me know what part of Houston you are in and I can recommend some shops that will be nice to deal with and help you in your decisions.

scottie

I live about 5 minutes from Tobacco Havana off Westheimer. I usually go there, and I've also been to McCoy's in downtown. I think I should head to the Spec's in downtown, the prices might be reasonable. What do you think?

I live about 5 minutes from Tobacco Havana off Westheimer. I usually go there, and I've also been to McCoy's in downtown. I think I should head to the Spec's in downtown, the prices might be reasonable. What do you think?

The prices are decent at Spec's but the knowledge and customer service is not there. Try the Briar Shoppe at Rice Village even though they might be a few cents higher on a stick. The staff is all female and very nice. They know a lot about cigars since they have been in the business for like 40 years. Also try Richmond Avenue cigars west of 610. The humi is a little cluttered but they have some good products.

scottie

Back