Oliva Special "G"

Grumpy Dano

Lost In The Jungle
I did not expect to do another review today. I am not a review whore, but when I fired up a noon stick today, I truly found one of the most enjoyable smokes since i have started smoking early last year.

Being a rookie at this I have approached it to try different brands and do as much experimenting as I can with my little or no knowledge of what I am doing.

I did the review yesterday of the Taboo, thanks to a CS Member who sent me a few of them. But also included in his package was a little giant of a smoke, the Oliva Series "G". To show how much of a rookie I am, I'm not a 100% sure but I feel fairly confident it was a maduro.

oliva191708.jpg

I have never smoked a smaller cigar than a robusto, and this little stick was intriguing to say the least. What I noticed withe first draw was how much smoke there was out of it, I mean huge volumes of smoke, perhaps because I am not use to the smaller ones at all.

oliva291708.jpg

Also noticeable was the extreme white color color of the ash. The first third was very tasty with hints of a spicy after taste, but after the first third it exploded with a creaminess and smoothness of a flavor I cant put my finger on, or is it my old taste buds.

oliva391708.jpg

All I know is from the second third on, it became a delicious smoke, and little more intense as it went, but for sure hooked me into it as one of the, if not "the" best smokes I have tried so far.

It seemed to beg for more and i was taking all I could, pacing myself but not wanting to put it down at all.

oliva491708.jpg

This pic is a little fuzzy but I liked the capture of the smoke coming off the top. It speaks the creaminess of the entire smoke.

By this time I knew the end was in sight. Also by this time I was flashing back; I have those occasionally, to the late 60's and early 70's when I dabbled a bit in much smaller illegal smokes, but back then we had these utensils, dare I say what we called our nub clips back then?; that made holding the very smallest of whatever they were called, I tend to forget.

Someone really needs to invent a more modern cigar holding apparatus that allows you to fight putting it down for the last time without getting your fingers burned off. Had I had that this time, I think I would be applying burning gel to my fingers and lips.

oliva591708.jpg

But alas, I was defeated and I had to put it down.

When I first picked up this stick, my first impression was, this will not last very long, but time from the first lite to the final put down was at least 45 awesome minutes of enjoyment.

I highly recommend it and I have now found the first cigar that I know will be my first box purchase.

The pre-lite was good. The burn was good. The smoke was full of flavor. The taste was outstanding.

And once again I have to thank jaycarla for putting me on this incredible smoke.

-Danny

Great review. These have a large but quiet following here at CS. I'm down to one but I always keep at least one stashed away in my humi. Wonderful rich cigar disguised as an insignificant "short smoke". It's been awhile since I had one I may have to dust the one I have off and reload. Thanks

One of the first incredibly good cigars I had opportunity to try shortly after joining CS.
I bought a box shortly thereafter and they were incredibly awful. 7 months later they were excellent. They're still smoking fabulous.
Glad you liked it!!!

Really not trying to be an ass here but looking at the pictures it looks as though you lit the wrong end. Like I said not trying to be an ass but just for your future reference.

LOL Christian!!

Glad you enjoyed it Dano - I've pushed 2 guys down the BOTL slope using this very cigar (Well okay, the Toro size). One guy made the Oliva Special G his first box purchase because he loved them so much!

Anyone know where to get them at the best price. I found it cheap somewhere awhile ago, but I can't remember the site. One of the best "cheap" smokes out there.

Really not trying to be an ass here but looking at the pictures it looks as though you lit the wrong end. Like I said not trying to be an ass but just for your future reference.

Can you say embarrassed?, or just stupid, or just old and need to be put out to pasture?

You are exactly right. I did a search on the internet and for sure it was lit backwards....

I took off the band and cut it here in the house and had two phone calls before going outside to enjoy it.

I guess I need to go back to the drawing board of learning how to do things right.....instead of making a fool of myself'

There goes my ring gauge all to hell :r

It was still awesome...go figure :hn

Can you say embarrassed?, or just stupid, or just old and need to be put out to pasture?

You are exactly right. I did a search on the internet and for sure it was lit backwards....

I took off the band and cut it here in the house and had two phone calls before going outside to enjoy it.

I guess I need to go back to the drawing board of learning how to do things right.....instead of making a fool of myself'

There goes my ring gauge all to hell :r

It was still awesome...go figure :hn

No harm no foul...I was just pointing it out. Either way you will still get the great flavor of this cigar. Great cigar at pretty good price and one of my favorites. By the way your review was excellent....:tu

Nice review Dano...I need to revisit the maduro. I smoke a ton of the Special G nats.

No worries on the backwards smoking. I did that once too with a Gurkha Legend. I pulled the band off, did a few things went back to light her up and didn't know which end to smoke.

cs-gza-free.jpg

My local B&M had a buy three get one on these. I picked up a couple of torps, a churchill, and a shorter one (don't remember what size). Great cigar for the price. I may buy another four to age a little more (box is a little out of the price range right now).

Nice review ... weiver eciN

It doesn't matter which end you start, it still says the same thing! :ss

I'm a big fan of the Oliva G maddies!

I did not expect to do another review today. I am not a review whore, but when I fired up a noon stick today, I truly found one of the most enjoyable smokes since i have started smoking early last year.

Being a rookie at this I have approached it to try different brands and do as much experimenting as I can with my little or no knowledge of what I am doing.

I did the review yesterday of the Taboo, thanks to a CS Member who sent me a few of them. But also included in his package was a little giant of a smoke, the Oliva Series "G". To show how much of a rookie I am, I'm not a 100% sure but I feel fairly confident it was a maduro.

oliva191708.jpg

I have never smoked a smaller cigar than a robusto, and this little stick was intriguing to say the least. What I noticed withe first draw was how much smoke there was out of it, I mean huge volumes of smoke, perhaps because I am not use to the smaller ones at all.

oliva291708.jpg

Also noticeable was the extreme white color color of the ash. The first third was very tasty with hints of a spicy after taste, but after the first third it exploded with a creaminess and smoothness of a flavor I cant put my finger on, or is it my old taste buds.

oliva391708.jpg

All I know is from the second third on, it became a delicious smoke, and little more intense as it went, but for sure hooked me into it as one of the, if not "the" best smokes I have tried so far.

It seemed to beg for more and i was taking all I could, pacing myself but not wanting to put it down at all.

oliva491708.jpg

This pic is a little fuzzy but I liked the capture of the smoke coming off the top. It speaks the creaminess of the entire smoke.

By this time I knew the end was in sight. Also by this time I was flashing back; I have those occasionally, to the late 60's and early 70's when I dabbled a bit in much smaller illegal smokes, but back then we had these utensils, dare I say what we called our nub clips back then?; that made holding the very smallest of whatever they were called, I tend to forget.

Someone really needs to invent a more modern cigar holding apparatus that allows you to fight putting it down for the last time without getting your fingers burned off. Had I had that this time, I think I would be applying burning gel to my fingers and lips.

oliva591708.jpg

But alas, I was defeated and I had to put it down.

When I first picked up this stick, my first impression was, this will not last very long, but time from the first lite to the final put down was at least 45 awesome minutes of enjoyment.

I highly recommend it and I have now found the first cigar that I know will be my first box purchase.

The pre-lite was good. The burn was good. The smoke was full of flavor. The taste was outstanding.

And once again I have to thank jaycarla for putting me on this incredible smoke.

-Danny
Nice review, Danny! My favorite in the Oliva line!

Great review, gonna grab me some of these for when time is not of the abundance. As far as the smoking backwards, so long as you enjoyed the smoke, who cares. Thanks!

Back