Project: Gun Cabinet to Humidor

Munt

Maturing Primate
Well this was a project that I started about three weeks ago. I found a used cheap gun cabinet on the internet. I decided to give it a shot.

First let me say that I went on the cheap for the most part. I have quite a bit of woodworking in the past but not so much finish work. I will admit that this was a great learning project and I will try it again with better materials to gain a better humidor.

First are the before pics.

Last edited:
First I used 100% silicone to seal the entire inside of the cabinet. After the silicone dried and the smell was gone (about two days) I went to HD and got a sheet of 1/4" Luaun and a bunch of 1 x 2 Oak.

I used a brad nailer and a bunch of carpenter's glue to get the Luaun in place.

Then started cutting the 1x2 Oak to make side rails and shelving units. I made a place in the bottom of the humidor to store water or beads (way too big, I know.) I also made a bulkhead to hide a light with a computer fan to circulate airflow.

To date, fully stocked it is holding at around 65% RH.

Please let me know what you think. I am also very interested in any ideas that I can do to improve this. I have to admit that I have no Router skills so I couldn't make any fancy shelves or holders.

Take a look at the finished product.

Thanks Fellas

Sean.

Very cool. i would have never thought of a gun cabinet. Why, I don't know. My father-in-law has one that he doesn't use any more. i wonder what he is doing with it.........:ss

Thanks. I've got less than $150.00 total. I bought the cabinet for 35.00 luaun was 12.00, Brad nails cost about 25.00 (bought the industrial size pack), oak was about 40.00, and the light for 10.00. I think that's about it.

Sorry no ammo!

Give it a shot. This one only has the thin masonite? backing on it, and it still works great!!!

QUOTE=icurrie;1928212]Very cool. i would have never thought of a gun cabinet. Why, I don't know. My father-in-law has one that he doesn't use any more. i wonder what he is doing with it.........:ss[/QUOTE]

Right now just a tupperware bowl of water with that flower stuff that holds water. I have invested in an Oasis and waiting for it's arrival.

You should have went with beads. The Oasis is likely going to cause you nothing but headaches. :2

Back