Ronson Tech Torch (Micro Torch)

roughrider

Maturing Primate
What: Ronson Tech Torch (Micro Torch)
Price: $~29
Place: Wal-Mart

I picked it up at my local Wal-Mart near the plumbing/lighting section.

I filled it up with some Vector butane. I didn't bother using the Ronson butane it came with. The tank holds over 20g of fuel.

It's a well built torch. It fires up every time. It has a flame adjuster and a heat adjuster. It also has a button to lock the trigger once you fire.

It also comes with the instructional manual and 2 soldering tips.

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

Verdict:

I've only had a few days and it fires every time. If it's anything like its little brother, it should be a very reliable piece of equipment. It's priced in the same price range as most micro torches online and on cigar websites ($20-$30 range).

Last edited:
Careful with that Ronson butane fuel! I ran out of the triple purified good stuff and had to use this on my Z-plus torch lighter insert. It basically got clogged after about 2 weeks of use. It would not light again.

Careful with that Ronson butane fuel! I ran out of the triple purified good stuff and had to use this on my Z-plus torch lighter insert. It basically got clogged after about 2 weeks of use. It would not light again.

Actually the ronson butane works fine with their torches. It will clog up smaller units every time though.

WOW! Looks like I found the tool to light the perfect smoke and get rid of my mother-in -law at the same time. Thanks for the tip!!:chk

i hope you mean 129, not 29, because if it is 129 walmart can expect club stogie members breaking down doors before they even open tomorrow

The Ronson quality appears to be much better, but if your budget is tight this might fit the bill:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42099

I've been using one of these for a couple of years without any problems.

I have one of these. They work great. Can melt metal or light your stogie. The Ronson is clearly better made but the little cheapo from harbor freight does the trick. The harbor freight one you can make the flame pretty damn long. I have to be careful with it because it is a TORCH and not a regular lighter. Not for the drunken herf. :ss For the price a real steal. Cheers

Did not see that one at my Wal-Mart, but at a local hardware store I picked up a Bernz-O-Matic tabletop torch for $25 - has pretty much the same stuff, but it is black.

A PT-200 torch is also pretty good, if you can find it.

Basically, just call hardware stores and ask if they have any butane torches - these typically seem to hover around the plumbing area, if not the standard tool areas...

just in case you WM does not have that one.

I had one of those Harbor Freight torches and it worked fine for about 3 years until the ignition mechanism died on me last week. I did not care for the orange color on that one so I sprayed painted it flat/metal black. I guess I'd have the same issue with the color on that Ronson. Right now I'm using a torch my wife gave me. It used to be her kitchen torch for creme brulee. It now has a much more useful role in life and it looks darn good.

Jorge

Back