Salt Test

Ive been trying to figure out the right way to test my hydro. Ive been told to use a water bottle cap and put the salt paste in it, and a bunch of other things. But, what is the right way to salt test? Im sorry if i sound really stupid. Im just a newb.

Put salt in the cap and put just enough water in it to make a paste like consistancy. Be careful and put that and the hygro into double ziplocs and seal for 24-48 hours. Hopefully, your hygro will read 75%.

A correction to what is posted there:

1. Fill a milk bottle cap or other small container with salt, and add a few drops of distilled water - NOT enough to dissolve the salt, just enough to moisten it. You want the slurry to be thick and pasty.

This is not correct. You want a saturated salt solution. That is all. You WILL dissolve salt, a bit more than 25% w/v. If you use too little water it will take too long to reach equilibrium.

I use a shot glass of saturated salt solution in a small tupperware. The best way to do this is to take a bit of water, maybe 1/2 shot glass full, and add salt until no more will dissolve, and you have excess salt on the bottom of the glass. If you leave this overnight and still see salt on the bottom you can be assured it is saturated. Put this with the hygrometer in a small tupper or ziplock and you're good to go. Talk about thick paste and few drops of water is misleading, I think what he means is not enough to dissolve ALL of the salt ... but the amount of water should not be so little to not allow rapid equilibrium inside the closed container. The rest of the page on the thread linked above is correct.

Talk about thick paste and few drops of water is misleading.

Yeah, what dumbarse would say such a thing! :D

I've always done it that way.
bolt.gif

A correction to what is posted there:

1. Fill a milk bottle cap or other small container with salt, and add a few drops of distilled water - NOT enough to dissolve the salt, just enough to moisten it. You want the slurry to be thick and pasty.

This is not correct. You want a saturated salt solution. That is all. You WILL dissolve salt, a bit more than 25% w/v. If you use too little water it will take too long to reach equilibrium.

I use a shot glass of saturated salt solution in a small tupperware. The best way to do this is to take a bit of water, maybe 1/2 shot glass full, and add salt until no more will dissolve, and you have excess salt on the bottom of the glass. If you leave this overnight and still see salt on the bottom you can be assured it is saturated. Put this with the hygrometer in a small tupper or ziplock and you're good to go. Talk about thick paste and few drops of water is misleading, I think what he means is not enough to dissolve ALL of the salt ... but the amount of water should not be so little to not allow rapid equilibrium inside the closed container. The rest of the page on the thread linked above is correct.

ok i got it. Thanks

Yeah, what dumbarse would say such a thing! :D

Hey ... no finger wagging intended. I use saturated salt solutions to control humidity at work, so it is one of the few things I actually know something about. That doesn't mean I'm not wrong on everything else of course ...:tu

I use a shot glass of saturated salt solution in a small tupperware. The best way to do this is to take a bit of water, maybe 1/2 shot glass full, and add salt until no more will dissolve, and you have excess salt on the bottom of the glass. If you leave this overnight and still see salt on the bottom you can be assured it is saturated.
So just to be clear, is there still white salt on the bottom of the shot glass, or wet granular salt on the bottom. I've been doing a salt test overnight, and the bottom of my salt is wet and granular, and there is no water "puddled" on top. Is this correct?

I don't want to seem like I'm stealing the thread but I'm in Iraq and don't have distilled water. What else can I do? I only have bottled water unless my wife sends me ditilled water from back home. And making it out here s too lengthy of a process. Any suggestions?

So just to be clear, is there still white salt on the bottom of the shot glass, or wet granular salt on the bottom. I've been doing a salt test overnight, and the bottom of my salt is wet and granular, and there is no water "puddled" on top. Is this correct?
What he is trying to say is take your hygrometer & dip it in water then pour salt all over it untill you can't see it anymore then check the reading.:r:r:r:r I'm sorry i'm just off my meds.:chk

I don't want to seem like I'm stealing the thread but I'm in Iraq and don't have distilled water. What else can I do? I only have bottled water unless my wife sends me ditilled water from back home. And making it out here s too lengthy of a process. Any suggestions?

Get a Boveda One Step Calibration pack (5 bucks) and leave the salt for the margaritas upon your safe return.:tu

I'm assuming you ARE talking about calibrating your hygrometer and NOT humidifying your humidor, right?

you can distill your own water, if you can boil water and collect the ditilled water (the water from the steam) and collect it into maybe another container that is your best bet. As for the salt test, I've done it many times and all the times I have done it it didn't come out correctly. I tried it last week and I tried it differently and it worked just fine.

I used a standard freezer ziploc baggie with a double seal (you can use 2). All the times I was using a small shot class and filling it up barely with salt. Everytime it never reached where it should have, so this time I found a jar lid. I filled that maybe a quarter full and took a dropper and dropped distilled water until all the salt is wet. If there is a small puddle just grab a paper towl and abosorb it up. It took me about 4 hours to reach the correct humdity, but I left it over night and when I woke up, everything was still perfect.

Get a Boveda One Step Calibration pack (5 bucks) and leave the salt for the margaritas upon your safe return.:tu

I'm assuming you ARE talking about calibrating your hygrometer and NOT humidifying your humidor, right?

yes i'm talking about the hygrometer.....i'm using a coolerador right now

Back