2 years no humidity

germantown rob

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Today a friend called and told me a co-worker had a box of RY&S's that is 2 years old. She rapped them in cellophane and kept them in the bathroom. I have done a search with no results however I have read plenty here about restoring humidity slowly to dry cigars. Can this be done after 2 years? I figured I have an extra desk top humi and an extra oasis xl to do the job with but don't know if it is even worth it. I am stubborn so I will try anyway so any advice is appreciated.

give it a shot. just don't try to smoke any for at least another year or two.
I had a couple of Montecristos that were probably in a ziplock bag for 3 years. put them in a humi for 1.5 years or so and the one i tried recently was good. not great but good.

You can rehumidify them as you have laid out. Slow incremental steps up with plenty of time, (weeks) on each step. The issue is are they going to be worth smoking? Probably pretty flat and bland when it's all said and done. Good exercise though. Do it and tell us what they taste like.

I read about refreshing cigars a while back. Here is a tip i came accross. I havent tried it yet, so im not sure how well it will work.

Nat Sherman Website
Q - How can I refresh my dry cigars?

A - A humidor will keep a cigar fresh, it will not bring it back from being dry. To do this you need a warm steam environment (but not a steam kettle, which would be too severe). When you take a shower a good trick is to put the cigars on the top shelf in the bathroom and let them absorb the steam from the shower. As the steam starts to dissipate from the room slip them into a zip lock bag, close it, only to repeat the process the following day. Usually in three or four days the cigars will pick up enough humidity to be brought back to a reasonable degree of freshness so they can be put in the humidor.

The rest of the questions can be found at www.natsherman.com in the FAQ section.

xxwaldoxx said:
I read about refreshing cigars a while back. Here is a tip i came accross. I havent tried it yet, so im not sure how well it will work.

Nat Sherman Website

The rest of the questions can be found at www.natsherman.com in the FAQ section.

that sounds like the opposite of the "slow" approach...

Just rehumidify them regular in your humidor and wait a few weeks. Most likely they will rough a lousy tasting, but you never know. I had som R&J's that were totally dry and ended up being just ok after a month in the humi. Once the oils evaporate off, they're done....

Da Klugs said:
You can rehumidify them as you have laid out. Slow incremental steps up with plenty of time, (weeks) on each step. The issue is are they going to be worth smoking? Probably pretty flat and bland when it's all said and done. Good exercise though. Do it and tell us what they taste like.
I will let everyone know how it goes. I plan on giving the box back minus a couple of sticks to see how it all worked out. I don't think the people she plans on giving the smokes to as a gift will know if they are flat or not.

What humi should I start at? I plan on putting them in a back with a hygrometer to see what their current humi is. Let's say they are at 48%, what is a good starting point and what should I increase it by every week?

xxwaldoxx said:

Nat Sherman Website

that honestly sound like an easy way to crack the wrappers on the dry cigars.
take it slow in the humidor, you can get them in good condition again, but the flavor will definitely not have as strong a presence.

what kind are they?

xxwaldoxx said:

Nat Sherman Website

I don't know how bad it would be to let the cigars rest in the humid environment, but be careful about actually taking a shower with them in the bathroom...the scents and oils from your shampoo could get on the sticks taking out any chance of them being decent

Yeah, I agree with the above. That Nat Sherman "tip" sounds a lot like cigar misinformation, which you see plenty of around the web. I would never expose my cigars to an environment like that of a steamy bathroom.

A while back my step dad gave me some sticks that he let dry out in his humidor. He neglected his humi prob for a good year or so. I let the sticks sit in my humi for a good 6 months to try and revive them and tried smoking one and it tasted like crap and it was rather harsh. Maybe it was just that one stick but I chucked the rest figuring they would all be a bad experience. Not enough time to smoke a bad stick, so the way I looked at it was I got them Free-O so no loss by chucking them.

By the way I did not have the heart to tell him I I tossed them. I just hope he never asks me how the smokes were but I doubt it.

Im glad i got a concensus on the steam thing.

I was tempted to try it but never got around to it. I have about 15 sticks they were in the same situation. Ive been slowly adding moisture to them via a hydration unit, its been about 6 months and they are still realy low. They just suck up the moisture.

I figured the Nat Sherman company was well informed being a large cigar company and all.

Definately good to know, ill be avoiding the steam :)

mccoy-humi.jpg

Back