$400-$500 Humidor

RedBaron

Lowland Gorilla
Hi Fellas,
So I'm looking to upgrade to a new humi. I don't buy boxes very often, I usually pick up fivers here and there. I am looking for a decent sized humi to hold in the neighborhood of 750-1000 cigars. I really only want to spend (as it says in the title) approx $500. Was hoping someone on here would have some good suggestions.
Thanks
Chris

Since you don't buy boxes often, I think the vicksburg is an excellent choice. I know several members here have them, and really like them. Vicksburg for like $130 shipped leaves you $370 for boxes/fivers/whatever.... =)

for those guys that have seen them or just know, how many boxes can the vicksburg realistically hold in its base?

etenpenny said:
for those guys that have seen them or just know, how many boxes can the vicksburg realistically hold in its base?

Probably 4. :r Whatever they say they hold, I'd subtract 100...I'd say you can't go wrong with the Manassas or any of the cabinets at Cheap Humidors like others here have suggested.....:2

Jason Love III said:
Probably 4. :r Whatever they say they hold, I'd subtract 100...I'd say you can't go wrong with the Manassas or any of the cabinets at Cheap Humidors like others here have suggested.....:2

:tpd:

I would figure 250-300 without jamming them in for the vicksburg. 500 would fit if you stack all sticks in the bottom, with no room for them to 'breath'.

I've got close to 350 sticks of all sizes in my Vicksburg with room left for more. I really like it, and will be getting another one soon!:w

:ms NCRM

NCRadioMan said:
I've got close to 350 sticks of all sizes in my Vicksburg with room left for more. I really like it, and will be getting another one soon!:w

:ms NCRM

I also own the Vicksburg. They claim 500 sticks, but I can't see it unless a substantial number of them are <50 rg. It is a very good humi that I picked up at bargain humidors for $114 last November. I currently have around 150 sticks of all sizes in it with plenty of room for more, just don't think that I will ever squeeze 500 into it. I would probably upgrade to a cabinet before then.

Whatever the humidor's claimed capacity is, I think you need to knock off at least 25%. The stated capacity doesn't take into account cigars of varying lengths and ring gauge, not to mention aftermarket products like an Oasis or bead tubes.

I think the standard used for humi counts seems to be if they are all Tres Petit Coronas or so...thats one of the smaller common cigar sizes

PaulMac said:
I think the standard used for humi counts seems to be if they are all Tres Petit Coronas or so...thats one of the smaller common cigar sizes

In that case - my Vicksburg will certainly hold 500 sticks. Unfortunately, i don't have a single petit at this time.:)

etenpenny said:

I kept an average of four to five in the base area. Depended on the box size.
Plus, I kept a cigar oasis in there also.
This humi is very roomy.

I ordered a humidor from cheaphumidors because i had a bunch of cigars coming in the mail with nowhere to put them so i paid for 3 day shipping and paid the 1.00 for rush processing. Well, it didn't even ship out until a week and a half later because they were closed for the holidays. This was mentioned NOWHERE on their site so i was pretty unhappy with them.

I bought a humi from them. I was happy with it.

Later i bought wine racks from them. I am seriously unhappy with the wine racks, i feel ripped off. This is what i bought:
http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=WR-WCDSDC

It says: "Designer 212 Wine Bottle Diamond Bin
SKU WR-WCDDIAM

For those looking for maximum storage density along with flexibility, diamond bins are the choice. This wine rack will hold up to 212 standard size bottles along with also accomodating Magnums and Champagne bottles. Height: 72", Width: 34", Depth: 12 11/16"

Freight shipping costs quoted are for continental US destinations only. All other destinations will be quoted separately.

All of our wine racks are made from premium woods, specially selected for each unit created and are hand crafted in the US. We carry a very wide range of standalone and integrated racking systems as well as offering fully custom wine cellar and wine racking design services."

Premium wood my ass. It's plywood (not even furniture grade plywood) with a face of cheap wood that has been stained (not even painted). I ordered the "stained Mahogany +63)" thinking that for $400 i would get something made out of mahogany that looks like the picture. Yeah, right. It's cheap plywood with a face that i had to nail in myself. The fit an finish is extremely poor and i had my cabinet maker take a look at it. His review was that this was one of the cheapest constructions he had ever seen with poor quality materials.

Original price is supposed to be over $800. I wouldn't pay even $100 for this.

my wife was seriously upset that i pissed away almost $2,000 on something looking this mediocre. For the record, i didn't contact bargain humidors about this i just sucked it up and realized that nothing they posted was a direct misrepresentation but that my expectations (which was based on the picture they had on the web site) and what i got was miles apart. I was really, really disappointed with how they made it look online and what it was in reality.

It's kind of sad because their humis has always met my expectations and i've bought a number of humis from them.

I would not recommend recommend bargain humidors based on the wine rack purchase as i feel that i payed for a level of quality which wasn't delivered. I have had only positive experiences with their humis (except one instance where a humi had some glue residue on the inside which gave off a nasty smell -but i fixed that myself).

beware of their wine racks -it's really poor quality imho.

I ordered from cheaphumidors.com, but was kind of forced to because they have fairly low-priced stuff and I needed it right away. If I had more money and time I might get a more expensive humidor, although honestly I would lose interest in how great my humidor looks after a short time, so the most premium humidor isn't for me - as long as it works well and looks OK.

I haven't received my humi yet from cheaphumidors, but will review it once it arrives. The customer service was OK, in that they responded to my emails quickly, however they were fairly unreceptive to any offers to purchase I made at lower-than listed prices (which they claim they will consider.) They claim that they guarantee everything for life so, if I have problems later, that's good (although maybe just another illusory claim.)

Back