5 Vegas Cask Strength

Ratters

Lowland Gorilla
Cigar: 5 Vegas Cask Strength

Vitola: 5.7x54
Wrapper: Cuban-seed Dominican
Binder: Dominican Corojo
Filler: Brazilian, Dominican Corojo, Cubano Piloto, Nicaraguan

Price: Cbid $65 box of 20. CI regular price $99 box of 20, though you get a 12 cigar sampler with it.
Comes in a cool "cask" type box, but it's not the best for fitting in a cabinet or coolerador due to limited stackability.

Setting: In the sun room, probably about 50 degrees out. Start time 4:50pm. Listening to one of Walt's reviews on Stogiereview.com.

Pre-light: Has a thick and veiny wrapper. Not very oily, sort of a medium brown in color.
Cut with my new awesome Palio was perfect. Prelight draw was good. Flavor made me think of Eggos. Not sure why.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

First third: Lit up easily, no problems there. Has a woody tobacco taste to it. A little bit of spice that hangs on the tip of the tounge and doesn't seem to get to the back of the throat. Finish is pretty short and shallow, but pleasant. Burn during the first third has been nigh perfect with a strong core ash. The wrapper ash has a couple quitters waiting to flake off, but nothing's landed in my lap yet. It has a light resting smoke but sure tickles the sinus if you inhale it.

IMG_0008.jpg

Second third: Strength is building a little, but still just medium in body. Still has that woody/oakey kind of flavor to it. Burn is still coming along beautifully. No touchups or relights. Developing some light pepper to go with the spice. Draw is continuing to be great with just the slightest resistance, as it should be. Smoke production was a little light off the bat, but getting a bit better now. Finish is still on the thin side.

IMG_0011.jpg

Final third: Strength is picking up a bit, but still wouldn't call it full. Burn started to get a bit uneven but I think that was due to a breeze from the window. Starting to correct on its own now. Taste hasn't changed much, maybe a tad more spice, but still really woody. Let it die with about 3/4 of an inch to go at 6:45pm.

IMG_0014.jpg

Final thoughs: Well, not the full bodied cigar it was advertised to be, more of a medium full, but it was a very well made smoke. Not my favorite cigar, but not horrible. I'll probably end up gifting half the ones I have, and letting the rest sit till summer to see what happens.

Liked it: Not my flavor, but still a decent smoke.
Reccommend: Sure, nicely made cigar, not exactly my preferred flavors but probably somebody's.
Smoke again: Sure, but probably not too often.

Last edited:
Nice review! Great price on CBid. This is still one I've been wanting to try because I hate the classics and the Gold, but love the As. Curious to see where this one fits in to the pack!

I've been wanting to give the cast strength a try, but every time I'm in the "extra money buying mode" they just don't seem to make it on the list before I hit the "out of money depression." So many cigars... so few days. Thanks for the great review!

Thanks for the review! I was wondering about these. I don't like the classics, love the A series, and am still unsure about the Miami's.

Cigar: 5 Vegas Cask Strength

Vitola: 5.7x54
Wrapper: Cuban-seed Dominican
Binder: Dominican Corojo
Filler: Brazilian, Dominican Corojo, Cubano Piloto, Nicaraguan

Price: Cbid $65 box of 20. CI regular price $99 box of 20, though you get a 12 cigar sampler with it.
Comes in a cool "cask" type box, but it's not the best for fitting in a cabinet or coolerador due to limited stackability.

Setting: In the sun room, probably about 50 degrees out. Start time 4:50pm. Listening to one of Walt's reviews on Stogiereview.com.

Pre-light: Has a thick and veiny wrapper. Not very oily, sort of a medium brown in color.
Cut with my new awesome Palio was perfect. Prelight draw was good. Flavor made me think of Eggos. Not sure why.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

First third: Lit up easily, no problems there. Has a woody tobacco taste to it. A little bit of spice that hangs on the tip of the tounge and doesn't seem to get to the back of the throat. Finish is pretty short and shallow, but pleasant. Burn during the first third has been nigh perfect with a strong core ash. The wrapper ash has a couple quitters waiting to flake off, but nothing's landed in my lap yet. It has a light resting smoke but sure tickles the sinus if you inhale it.

IMG_0008.jpg

Second third: Strength is building a little, but still just medium in body. Still has that woody/oakey kind of flavor to it. Burn is still coming along beautifully. No touchups or relights. Developing some light pepper to go with the spice. Draw is continuing to be great with just the slightest resistance, as it should be. Smoke production was a little light off the bat, but getting a bit better now. Finish is still on the thin side.

IMG_0011.jpg

Final third: Strength is picking up a bit, but still wouldn't call it full. Burn started to get a bit uneven but I think that was due to a breeze from the window. Starting to correct on its own now. Taste hasn't changed much, maybe a tad more spice, but still really woody. Let it die with about 3/4 of an inch to go at 6:45pm.

IMG_0014.jpg

Final thoughs: Well, not the full bodied cigar it was advertised to be, more of a medium full, but it was a very well made smoke. Not my favorite cigar, but not horrible. I'll probably end up gifting half the ones I have, and letting the rest sit till summer to see what happens.

Liked it: Not my flavor, but still a decent smoke.
Reccommend: Sure, nicely made cigar, not exactly my preferred flavors but probably somebody's.
Smoke again: Sure, but probably not too often.

Nice review from a "Pro"! Shows me what I need to work on for my next review! Thanks!

Back