5 Vegas Shorty

jkorp

·~«{·B'lieve Hon·}»~·
Well, I saw the deal on CI and couldn't resist. I love this retailer, I can order from CI by 3PM and have it the next day by 10AM. Anyway, the deal of 40 small gars for 40 bucks was too much to resist. I am always looking for a good deal on quick, good tasting smokes that can get me to work or be had during lunch.

As usual, I start this review by telling you that I am not going to give you all the great descriptors, not because I won't but because I can't. So here we go...

The 5 vegas shorty, 8 cigars per tin x 5 tins = 40 little gars.

The stick was short and stout. The wrapper was medium color, veiny, thick, rough and splotchy, and yet still appealing.

I should tell you that I was in my car for this first smoke. I was actually going to see a movie after work, which is something I like to do from time to time. While I was waiting for the movie I thought that I would sit in the car and enjoy a shorty. This is why you'll see my steering wheel, my sun visor and cup holder in these pictures.

The construction was pretty good. The stick was just the right firmness off the truck. When I broke the seal on the cello wrapping and then again on the tin I got a nice aroma of tobacco.

The cut was good, and the draw was perfect.

The burn was pretty even all the way down. The ash was white/gray and pretty firm. I wasn't going for record ash length because I was in my car and didn't want ash everywhere, so I tapped every .75" or so.

On the light and first few draw, I got a good flavor, mostly good tobacco. After this is pretty much settled into a bland smoke, that was really mild.

I'll have to say that I am not too impressed with the flavor of this little stick. The only real flavor I had was tobacco, and not a nice cigar tobacco, but more like a cigarette. If a cigarette's flavor was a 2 on a scale of 1-10, this would be about a 7. Really this thing reminded me of a big Marlboro.

This stick tends to heat up quick if you puff puff draw to much, so you have to take it easy.

I'd say at about the last 1" to 1.5" the tobacco flavor got a little more rich, but thats not going to redeem it for.

All in all, not an impressive little smoke. For a buck a piece, I'm too upset. I'll let them sit in the wine-chill-ador for a while and see what happens. When this stick goes off special, at $60+, not a good deal. You could do better buying just about any other small stick for that price. I would say, I'd prefer a backwoods to this in terms of flavor.

The facts:

Wrapper: rough, bumpy, spotty, but not a turn off.
Hand Feel: felt pretty good in my hand, for a little stick I really liked the look, feel and package
Band: nice little band
Construction: nice
Draw: post cut and prelight, the draw was really easy. Post light and all the through the burn the draw was the same.
Smoke: good amount.
Burn: even
Ash: white/gray and firm

I hope you all enjoyed this review.

Very nice review. I've just started trying the smaller cigars, and they make a perfect lunchtime smoke at work. May pick up a tin of these. :tu

Thank for the review looks like you couldn't wait to try one burned one in the parking lot thats awesome!!!:tu

Thank for the review looks like you couldn't wait to try one burned one in the parking lot thats awesome!!!:tu

You know it! I track my cigar shipments like a hawk, thinking the whole time when and where am I going to spark one of these up when they arrive. Seems like the best answer is, "no time like the present."

Good review, was thinking of picking some of these up. Been looking for a good small smoke. But after that review, I think I am going to pass up on em. I dont really need 40 of em. Maybe someone down the road will have one up for sales.

Good review, was thinking of picking some of these up. Been looking for a good small smoke. But after that review, I think I am going to pass up on em. I dont really need 40 of em. Maybe someone down the road will have one up for sales.

You should swing by or something an I'll hook you up with some.

Just an update. After these smokes have sat just about 5 days in the humi, the flavor has changes some. I think with a little time they will be great. After having about 5 of these now, I think they have become creamier, and smoke through the nose gives some hints of coffee or some kind of roasted something. It seems like they are loosing that cigarette like taste.

Overall I think this is not a bad little stick now. If you were thinking of trying this and were put off by my review, I would definitely recommend them now for a try (on special, but not at the regular price :tu)

Just an update. After these smokes have sat just about 5 days in the humi, the flavor has changes some. I think with a little time they will be great. After having about 5 of these now, I think they have become creamier, and smoke through the nose gives some hints of coffee or some kind of roasted something. It seems like they are loosing that cigarette like taste.

Overall I think this is not a bad little stick now. If you were thinking of trying this and were put off by my review, I would definitely recommend them now for a try (on special, but not at the regular price :tu)

Noooooo!

I was hoping they would suck, but now you change your review, and they are still on sale! Poor, poor bank account.:chk

I got my shipment of these yesterday and sparked one up last night. Just like your initial review, it was pretty harsh. Given my lack of free time and the weather getting colder, I don't have much time to waste on a crappy cigar, so I chucked it after about an inch and pulled out an RP V90. Very disappointed in the Shorty. Given your second opinion after giving them some rest, however, I may give them some time before putting them up on the trading block.

Nice review. Sorry they didin't meet your expectations. I try to avoid the smaller stuff, since I've so often been equally disappointed.

I'll add these to my avoid list. I had enough cigarette flavor during the 32 years I smoked those darn things.
:tu

True that.
If I wanted a fat cigarette I'd buy a pack of camel wides (do they still make those :confused:), and get 20 for $4.

I have to totally agree with this... I smoked one upon arrival and it was overhumidified and somewhat bland. After two weeks, I tried another. It was still a bit moist, but had a very nice spicy, nutty flavor. It burned very well. I am very pleased, especially at less than a buck a piece.

I have to totally agree with this... I smoked one upon arrival and it was overhumidified and somewhat bland. After two weeks, I tried another. It was still a bit moist, but had a very nice spicy, nutty flavor. It burned very well. I am very pleased, especially at less than a buck a piece.

I smoked one again today and it was indeed spicy and very enjoyable. I will be looking to get more if they go back on special. I think the key is they need at least a month or more to become enjoyable smokes. I am wondering about the Victor Sinclair 3x Corojo. These are almost the same deal, but the everyday price is good. These almost look like the vegas shorty's (except they are not torps). The band, the tin and the overall look of the stick are very similar.

Back