601 Habano Toro by DPG

DOHCtorJT

ChestBeater
Had this beautiful looking cigar yesterday afternoon. Sorry no pics :(

Temp: About 60 degrees, light breeze
Beverage: Homebrew Pale Ale "GJ"
Previous Cigar that day: RP SG Petite Corona

Cigar Specs: 6x60, Nicaraguan Puro, Red and Gold label

I bought this at the TinderBox B&M a few weeks ago. The pretty red label got me, as well as a strange draw to DPG products. The construction was flawless, the triple cap "signature" from DPG justifies the $6 msrp.

After some toasting from the ultra handy Harbor Freight Micro torch, this cigar lit perfectly. Not an overwhelming amount of smoke, and a nice draw that required just a little effort. It was smooth, but not much flavor for the first inch.

As I kept smoking it, there's still not a lot of tobacco flavor, just earth and pepper. Some other reviews I've read of this cigar said that molasses and rum flavors were evident, but I didn't get them. After the 3rd inch, it was just pepper. Mouth drying, tongue punishing spice that creeped up out of nowhere and assaulted my palette.

Not being a quitter, I touched up the slightly uneven burn and soldiered on....as long as I could. Didn't quite nub it, but made it past the band.

Overall I was let down. It smelled and looked so good prior to lighting, but it couldn't hold up to its appearance. I can't say that I would BUY another 601 (at least red label), but I might smoke it again if one comes my way. Compared to every other DPG product I've had, this was disappointing and I can't recommend it to anyone other than a spice lover.

Sorry to hear of your experience. I would have spiked it much earlier than you. Some Pepin blends don't really do it for me either. I agree these are full of pepper and spice but I like it. Also, it's been my experience they need at least 6-8 months of low rh rest to really shine.

Try the new Green Label 601. Very different from this one and good.

Haven't tried the Red label yet, but had a few of the blue label maduros and was very impressed. Thanks for the review, you might of just saved me some money.

The Red label is one of my fav from Pepin and I find to be on of the least peppery. Hopefully you can give them a try again for some better luck.

Wow, they are one of my favorite cigars. Sorry bout your bad experience. Give another a try, they really are fantastic IMHO.

Let these rest a bit and give them another chance. It could be you got a bad stick or maybe it was a bit young. It seems many Pepin blends benefit from 3-6 months of rest. I had a 601 Red yesterday at our herf and it was wonderful, much mellower than the one I had a few months ago from a different batch. :ss

Back