70 degrees in NE = first review (LABA)

Costa

Cohibo Aficionado
Preface: for those of us in New England (mikey, gnu, RPB76, etc.) it was a day of all days. Hit upper 60s and even 70 in some parts.

Came home, went for a run with the dog, ordered a salad, uncorked half a bottle of Seven Deadly Zins Zinfandel, and decided "what a day for a smoke!" Figured I'd do my first review as well.

I mean, this night was perfect, no breeze, temperatures like I had not seen since Sept.

Grabbed a La Aurora Barrel Aged (thanks for the box split jquirit) and the dog, and headed outside with the idea to give those who might not have tried this cigar an "overview". It was my first time smoking one of these, and was really unsure what to expect.

I have been smoking a lot of CCs lately, mainly RASS, Monte#2's, and some of my favorite Illusione M7s thrown in there, and have been a little down on the NCs besides the Illusione. Finding the NCs a little "harsh".

First few draws on the LABA was a tad bitter, nothing too bad.

I did a terrible job lighting it, so it was uneven, but if it was a better light, I think the burn would have been perfect.

The draw was perfect, not too tight or too loose. The bitterness soon went away, and there was very little "aftertaste" that I had been experiencing with my NCs. I was able to pass it through my nose with almost zero "burn"; VERY smooth. The ash as shown below in the picture was one of the most solid and longest ashes I have had in a very long time (I was walking, so the cigar was being jostled, and it held in there). A ton of white smoke. About 85% in, it got real good. Was picking up a "woodsy" flavor that I can't put my finger on, but nothing flavored, which I feared. Something very pleasing to my palate. The draws gave me a very large amount of smoke which I prefer, which surprised me for its size. Again, I was passing it through my nose without that "bite" I had been experiencing with the NCs of late. I started to smoke it too hot, so I laid off, and it returned to the notes of wood. Finished very well, with a slight return to the bitterness it had in the beginning, but nothing that I would call a negative.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised with this smoke, its a great smoke, with a very distinctive flavor profile that I found very pleasing. It will be something I will smoke again, and I highly recommend. I will have to try it again when I'm not as stoked about the weather, maybe my overall great mood helped!

Please don't look at it as a flavored smoke, it is anything but that. Hope that helps anyone on the fence.

Pics:

labarrel1.jpg

labarrel2.jpg

Craig,

I had one last night and loved it. And I noted a flavor that was different that I really liked. I enjoyed the weather tonight too, skipped school! The weekend is going to suck so I wanted to enjoy this one. :tu

Craig,

I had one last night and loved it. And I noted a flavor that was different that I really liked. I enjoyed the weather tonight too, skipped school! The weekend is going to suck so I wanted to enjoy this one. :tu

Ditto here brutha. I was really nervous about the rum barrel thing, thought maybe it was going to be flavored, but I was very impressed. Like you said, and someone else did before, there is a flavor in there that is very unique, and I really like it. Big time.

Haha, what a day to skip, good choice. The weekend is going to suck, so its back to the cigar bar, wanted to get an outdoor smoke while I could....:ss:tu

By the way Bruins are now down 4-1.

Bruins? Is that hockey? Aren't they on strike? :D

Back