A $50,000 cutter?

RPB67

In my office at the Bing
From April 20-22, one of the world’s largest collections of advertising specialties from The Penny Candy Store in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho will be auctioned in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Jim Cate is the owner of the store, but has spent most of his life as an avid collector of advertising premiums and related items. Among the list of items to be sold is this shocker:

“Cigar Tip Cutter, circa 1890s – This unique trade stimulator (device meant to generate sales) is extremely rare: only three are known to exist. And like most similar units, this one didn't require a coin or token. The payoff for clipping one's cigar tip: the chance to get another cigar free. Estimate $30,000 to $50,000.”

A $50,000 cutter? Cigar hounds will also be able to bid on some much larger lots:

“Wooden Cigar Store Indians (3) – Not one but three Cigar Store Indians, all three hand-crafted of wood in the late 1800s, will be sold. One, standing nearly 6' tall, is made by the renowned carver Samuel Robb. Another majestic at 7' tall, depicts a chief with full headdress (maker unknown). And yet another very rare tabletop figure that just may be the oldest one in existence. Estimate $30,000 to $50,000. “

The auctioneer is Showtime Auctions. And I thought Opus Xs were expensive

If only I could win the lottery. I looked at their website, looks like some really cool stuff, they don’t have pics of upcoming auctions but they did have pictures of stuff that has been sold. Here are a couple cool things that were on there (the pics are kind of small and can’t be enlarged, with my computer “skills” at least):

The first one says Universal Cigar Dispenser sold for $24,200
The Second is a Cigar Lighter sold for $8,800
The last one is a sign sold for $16,500

--that table lighter looks sweet, --thanks for pointing this out RPB67

Last edited:
Man, where do you dig this stuff up?

Very interesting read though.

Yeah, great read and all your threads as of late have been very interesting. Thanks for Sharing! You are a cigar factoid maniac! :D

From April 20-22, one of the world’s largest collections of advertising specialties from The Penny Candy Store in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho will be auctioned in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Jim Cate is the owner of the store, but has spent most of his life as an avid collector of advertising premiums and related items. Among the list of items to be sold is this shocker:

“Cigar Tip Cutter, circa 1890s – This unique trade stimulator (device meant to generate sales) is extremely rare: only three are known to exist. And like most similar units, this one didn't require a coin or token. The payoff for clipping one's cigar tip: the chance to get another cigar free. Estimate $30,000 to $50,000.”

A $50,000 cutter? Cigar hounds will also be able to bid on some much larger lots:

“Wooden Cigar Store Indians (3) – Not one but three Cigar Store Indians, all three hand-crafted of wood in the late 1800s, will be sold. One, standing nearly 6' tall, is made by the renowned carver Samuel Robb. Another majestic at 7' tall, depicts a chief with full headdress (maker unknown). And yet another very rare tabletop figure that just may be the oldest one in existence. Estimate $30,000 to $50,000. “

The auctioneer is Showtime Auctions. And I thought Opus Xs were expensive

No he won't, not at that price anyway!!:ss

Last edited:
I'm not to far away from Ann Arbor, might have to go and check it out. Just to see what a $50,000 cutter looks like.

Hah, interesting.

At first glance at the topic the first thing that came to mind was "S.T. Dupont".

Home of grossly exaggerated and/or overpriced knick-knacks....

I'm with kvaughan...... spend the money on 'gars!!!

Back