A Camacho Face-Off by Litto Gomez

ScottishSmoker

A Cat eating Spaghetti...
Back Story: In 2003, Christian Eiroa of Camacho and Litto Gomez of La Flor Dominicana decided to have a little fun on the cigar market, each blended a cigar for the other's brand...The Camacho Face-Off was blended by Litto Gomez and the LFD Face-Off by Christian Eiroa...
http://www.top25cigar.com/a_apps/ANM/anmviewer.asp?a=290&z=32

The Cigar: 5.75x50 Toro that I am assuming is made of all Honduran Tobacco from the Camacho fields, I may be mistaken though, not much is written about this cigar, and with the www.top25cigar.com database down and no current listing in Perleman's, it is hard to say exactly what it is for sure...like I said, I am only assuming that it is all Honduran, I may be wrong...

Appearance: The cigar has an awesomely smooth rich red wrapper leaf with little to no imperfections or veins. Only one vein can be seen, and even that has a soft flat appearance, nothing to cause any sort of concern. As said earlier, this cigar's wrapper has this amazing oily red color but shares no taste similarities that I can find with a Rosado wrapper leaf. The head of the stick had only the two seams, and I cut it prior to taking a picture. Same goes for the foot, no pictures, but rolled beautifully, no visible light spots...The ash throughout the cigar was a wonderful white color that looked to have the texture almost silk...very smooth and devoid of any real striation.

Construction: What else can be said of it, it was rolled by LFD, no concerns about the construction...The cigar had no plugs, no loose or soft spots. Litto has yet, as far as experienced, to give me any real worries about anything he has made...The construction of this stick, aided by 5 years of sleep time has help create a razor sharp burn the whole way, and up to the halfway point, no need for a relight at all....

Flavors: Upon pre-light, a little bit of firepower was present, nothing to make you step back though...after lighting...NICE BITE of black and white pepper! I love that Litto blends his cigars accordingly. After the first inch, and clean up of the ash on my laptop, the cigar settled WAY down...the peppery blast has since been replaced by one of the most obvious and full cedar flavor. I have never experienced such a full cedar flavor ever on a Non-Cuban cigar...it is scary there...The cedar flavor has remained as the prominent flavor throughout the cigar at the half way point, another set of flavors are beginning to appear though, mostly a tea flavor combined with a bit of a nutty taste in the back of the throat...at the finish a familiar flavor from a non tobacco origin appeared...almost marijuana like (SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD HAVING NEVER SMOKED IT MYSELF...yeah, thats the ticket). I am loving it! Now, as it finishes up, I was assuming, like a lot of other Hondurans that the cigar was going to end on a sour note...absolutely not...

Final Thoughts: I am not what one would call a very proficient reviewer, I made an exception with this cigar...kinda rare so what the hell right?The Camacho Face-Off by Litto Gomez did absolutely nothing but impress me...if the cigar hadn't of been a gift and something that is readily available in any shop, I could very easily see this into my rotation of cigars. I review it now only because I am getting ready to celebrate my move to Las Vegas a year ago (August 15 2007...oddly also my 25th birthday). I wish I could find more to have at least a box on hand...WOW this stick was great! I am not a person who very often "Nubs" a cigar down to nothing, but this one will have that problem...If you can get one, do...especially if you are an LFD or Camacho fan...
Pictures follow...

The band...prelight...
Faceoff1.jpg

The only "imperfection"
faceoff4.jpg

First ash, conveniently on my keyboard...
Faceoff3.jpg

Midway point...no relights...razor sharp burn...
Faceoff2.jpg

And in the end...
faceoff6.jpg

And my smokin buddy Mercedes...not that big of a smoke fan...
faceoffmercedes.jpg

If I remember correctly around the same time Camacho did an advertised blind tasting with the Diploma going up against a Cuban (Epi #2)?

My experience (although very limited in the last 5-6 years) with both is that Litto makes the superior product. Glad you enjoyed.

BTW.....What is the album in between "Greeting from Asbury Park" and "Europe 72"?

I have one of these left out of a box I bought some years back & it is an awesome smoke. I haven't been able to bring myself to smoke the last one, but it might have to burn itself into the pages of history this weekend.

If I remember correctly, this cigar had a kind've caramel/burnt molasses aspect that I completely fell in love with. I hope I haven't aged the flavors out of this cigar.

A most excellent review SS:tu It's always great to experience a one of a kind smoke:ss

ps. Love the album covers behind Mercedes:tu

Back