a couple quick Q's

Mr.Lordi

Gorilla
I have a few Q's regarding setting up my old humidor for use again.

I have not used my Humidor since 2004, and was wondering:

1) How do I clean it? I stored old cheap flavored cigars in there when I used it the first time around and want to make sure there are no hidden aromas that will mix with my cigars.

2.) How can I check if the humidification device is usable and hasn't grown mold or anything? iI smells fine,but I cant open it up to check.

Also any other ideas are fine.

Just wipe it out with distilled water and a clean sponge. Any cleaning solution you might use will leave a nastier smell (which will impart flavor to cigars) than a few flavored cigars would have anyway.

What kind of humidifier are you using? The plastic disk/rectangular ones that come with most humis are kind of junky, IMO. It's better to switch to beads or gel if you can. I really like heartfelt beads: www.heartfeltindustries.com they have awesome service and good prices.

I was in the same situation recently regarding the humidor and flavored cigars. I removed the nasty things and left the humidor open for a day. Then I wiped it down with distilled water and a new sponge. Seasoned it back to 70% and put in what I wanted. No problem at all.

Don't have any advice about the humidifier, I use beads.

I may put some baking soda in it instead of leaving it open, should absorb the odors pretty quickly. You may even want to LIGHTLY sand the cedar, it should help remove the odors and bring back the aroma of the cedar.

You should be able to pop open the humidifier. Other than that, I can't say much as I use beads, also :D

If you are concerned by the residual odors, set a plate of baking soda inside the closed humidor for a few days, it should work wonders.

I may put some baking soda in it instead of leaving it open, should absorb the odors pretty quickly. You may even want to LIGHTLY sand the cedar, it should help remove the odors and bring back the aroma of the cedar.

You should be able to pop open the humidifier. Other than that, I can't say much as I use beads, also :D
:tpd:, This is probably the quickest way. A very light sanding will work wonders. After sanding re humidify and sample the oder.

Back