A day at the Graycliff...

rkt

SilverBack
If you have not read T25C story about Graycliff you are missing out.

Also, rjs, write more about the resort. More description of the
hotel, food services and surrounding eminities, please.

I would love to go there. Maybe I will take the wife on an anniversary sometime.

Thanks for writing the story. Thanks for putting it up, pds!

RE: A day at the Graycliff....continued

Nassau is an island paradise that has gone commercial with tourism. The island is a favorite whistle stop for cruise lines and a favored destination for honeymooners and vacationers. At any given time, there are always 4 or 5 cruise ships moored in Nassau's harbor as their passengers spend a frenzied day sightseeing and shopping with the local merchants.

The straw market covers about an acre and resembles a huge indoor apparel swap meet or flea market. The downtown area is crowded with coupon clutching tourists, cabs, and an occasional horse drawn carriage. The old colonial style buildings, especially those belonging to the government, are a contrast to the hustle and bustle of the tourists.

If you arrive by plane, the drive to downtown from the airport is less frenetic than the cruise ship docks. The approach to the city goes through some of the local neighborhoods and gives you some idea of Bahamian life. The Graycliff is actually a walled compound which occupies an entire block on West Hill St. The hotel is located in a residential area several blocks from the downtown area.

When you arrive at the hotel gate, the whitewashed walls are somewhat intimidating. Once inside the colonial style hotel, you find yourself in the Bahamas as they might have been 30 or 40 years ago. The atmosphere is that of an open, airy grand old hotel. Very relaxing. Uniformed bellmen and servers attend to your every need.
Enrico Garzaroli, his wife Anne Marie, and the family make the warmth of their presence known in all aspects of the hotel hospitality and service. You feel as though you are the guest of a friend rather than of a hotel.

The Graycliff has 14 rooms, all with colonial period decorations. The main reception room feels more like a large living room and the veranda is equally comfortable. The back of the hotel has tropical landscaping and a large tiled pool that is hidden behind a large cottage.

The restaurant is one of the main attractions at the Graycliff. The cuisine is a blend of local Bahamian tastes and European elegance. Choosing a bottle of wine that goes with your meal can be a problem to the uninformed with a selection of over 200,000 bottles. For that special occasion you could select the bottle of 1727 Rudershesmeiz Apostel Wein rumored to be valued somewhere north of 7 digits.

Behind the hotel, beyond the pool are the buildings that house the cigar factory. The back of the hotel actually has a cigar restaurant and rooms.

The food and lodging do not come cheap, nor do the cigars. But Enrico Garzaroli's personal style of service is appealing to many who want to experience fine food, hospitality, and cigars in the Graycliff's unassuming, relaxed atmosphere. Check out their website at: www.graycliff.com

... rjs

Thanks!

I've looked at the website. It looks fabulous.
One day I might go there on an anniversary or
some special occassion.

If you have more pictures please put them up
somewhere.

rkt,

There are a few more pictures. I'll check with Paul about where to post them.

... rjs

rkt

Paul has posted a few more Graycliff Hotel and Cigar Co. pictures at this link:

http://www.top25cigar.com/a_image/gallery.asp

... rjs

edisonbird,

There are a lot of vintage Havanas in that humidor! WOW! That's enough to make a Lowland Gorilla go bannanas!

... rjs

Thanks for sharing the story, I will be smoking one of those FINE cigars soon! ;)

OPT

Back