A Diamond In The Rough

Jeff

Head to the grindstone...
On any given day I dislike flavored cigars. Especially Acid or any of the Drew Estate products. However, today I decided to burn a Natural by Drew Estate cigar called Root. It was a gift from someone and has been sitting in my humidor for months waiting for a chance like this.

I expected to smell some strong non-tabacco aromas after sliding it out of the cellophane. There weren't any. Hmm. Seemed like a promising start. Lit it up and got it burning just nice. To my pleasant surprise, this cigar tasted and smelled very good. I could detect something not present in a regular cigar, but it didn't detract.

Will post a full review soon in the NC Review Forum.

I did the same thing with a Drew Natural, only mine was a Dirt, also given to me by a brother. That thing hit me like a baseball bat! Nasty with a capital N-A-S-T-Y! It was sickeningly sweet. It tasted like it had been marinated for a month in something like apricot juice or cumquat nector or ?????? He sent it because I had written that I had never smoked a Drew product that tasted like anything I wanted in my mouth. I was game, but disgusted. My last experience with Drew was a La Vieja Habana Leather Patch Wafe, a flat cigar, like a tongue depesser. I won a fiver of them and they remain the only batch that I took straight to the head, and flushed 'em. All of 'em. I'm about to give up on Drew Estates. Their cigars taste like their names - Dirt, Acid, etc. Coming products are Puke, Armpit, Booger and Stench.

Twowheels said:
All of 'em. I'm about to give up on Drew Estates. Their cigars taste like their names - Dirt, Acid, etc. Coming products are Puke, Armpit, Booger and Stench.
You forgot to mention the exciting new flavors of the Very Natural line: Excrement, Vomit, Abomination, and Painful Rectal Itch.

Suffice to say, I found myself feeling nauseated when I smoked one of Drew Estates flavored cigars, and can't even stand to smell them now.

Everyone has different tastes, and I don't mean to offend people who may like them, but for me, plain old aged and fermented tobacco is the best. Your mileage may differ.

Gurkha said:
Everyone has different tastes, and I don't mean to offend people who may like them, but for me, plain old aged and fermented tobacco is the best. Your mileage may differ.

I don't mind Drew Estate Acid/Ambrosia's from time to time. I find it's a pleasant change from the usual routine; hardly a daily(even weekly) thing.

eh i prefer flavored smokes in cigarello form but i will say the Drew Khalua was a good robusto. i had to yank it from my humidor though it was wayyy to stinky and syrup-ey for the rest of the smokes. Thanks for the quick note i have wondered about the natural Drews since i saw the ad :z

CrazyFool said:
eh i prefer flavored smokes in cigarello form but i will say the Drew Khalua was a good robusto. i had to yank it from my humidor though it was wayyy to stinky and syrup-ey for the rest of the smokes. Thanks for the quick note i have wondered about the natural Drews since i saw the ad
Oops... You reminded me about Drew's coffee-infused little-guys; when I just want a "quickie", I do enjoy them.

Still disgusted by their Natural and Acid lines. :pu

Jeff said:
On any given day I dislike flavored cigars. Especially Acid or any of the Drew Estate products. However, today I decided to burn a Natural by Drew Estate cigar called Root.
I recently had occasion to try a couple of ROOT's as well and I found them to be very enjoyable. I did not detect any unusual flavors (my pallette is not very sensitive as you could tell from my reviews on the show). For me and my perhaps warped senses, this cigar was a finger burner, couldn't put it down till it was ll gone. JNow I was smoking these on a recent trip to the beach, had at least one while reading the morning paper watching the surf with a strong cup of coffee. The environment has a lot to do with my smoking enjoyment.

As some of you know I use to only buy ACID / Natural cigars.. Thank God that I discovered Club Stogie and learned the beauty of natural tobacco and how much depth and complexity that a non flavored cigar can contain , often times more than a flavored cigar!

However, The Root was always my favorite and I've noticed that a lot of people who don't like flavored cigars will enjoy the Root.

yeah, DE makes a lot of good cigars, not just perfumed ones.
you can expect good quality and craftsmanship from any DE cigar (even if you can't stand the smell of some of them)

Cochise said:
yeah, DE makes a lot of good cigars,
Correction - MADE.
Their best cigar has been discontinued. LVH Early Years Silencio is a wonderful smoke that is getting harder and harder to find.
:2

The first and only time i smoked an ACID, i was with my dad, and he left the room because "that damn cigar smells like a christmas tree". That ACID is the only drew estate cigar i have had the pleasure of sampling, so i can't speak on the rest of their lines.

pnoon said:
Correction - MADE.
Their best cigar has been discontinued. LVH Early Years Silencio is a wonderful smoke that is getting harder and harder to find.
:2

Yup, an excellent short smoke that bears no resemblance to Acid.

The only othere DE cigar I like is the La Vieja Habana Leather Patch Series. Give the Habano 54 a try. Its a great breakfast cigar.

Back