A newbie's cigar tour

hardcz

Lowland Gorilla
Well after meeting some really cool people in my last thread and getting some great feedback, I've decided to keep a journal or log of sorts, with the cigars I smoke, so as I look back I can remember what and why I liked certain ones. This started with a Don Tomas, which I'll only repost to keep things together, and add the next couple that I had.

Don Tomas Sun Grown

dontomas_sungrown.jpg

It was pretty good! First 1/2 of the cigar was I don't know what to base it off of, but maybe a medium spicy flavor to the pallet, no nasty aftertaste. Pretty good smoke and easy draw. About half way I tried to do a purge, and it was very cool, the pinkish purple and blue colors when lighting the end and blowing into it, nice light show! About the last 1/4 or near where the paper wrapper thing is it started getting more spicy, where the tip of my tongue was like wow, almost like a peppery kind of tingle. I started getting a little light headed, similar to if I had a beer or two on an empty stomach roughly 4-5 minutes after I finished the cigar and went back into work.

Gurkha Double Maduro

gurkha_double_maduro.jpg

This cigar smells great, I heard it could of been a little stronger than some of the others I had experienced thus far and they weren't kidding. It had a great draw, average amount of smoke, though the taste was very strong, a spicy flavor on the middle back part of my tongue. Smoking this cigar fully was difficult as I really wasn't enjoying it that much. About the half way point the spiciness moved to the front part and middle of my tongue and it was still very strong, like a black pepper spray hit your mouth, and it lingered well after the draw. I think I would consider this a strong cigar, and personally I did not enjoy it that much.

Arturo Fuente Rothschild Maduro (s)

arturo_fuente_rothschild_maduro.jpg

This was a shorter cigar, had a dark wrapper, smelled wonderful before lighting and I was looking forward to trying it. The taste was amazing, it barely had a spicy flavor that was just on the edge of being able to taste it and not, also had a slight after taste of what I would imagine a cigar should taste like, though the after taste did not linger in a bad fashion. The taste was pretty consistent through the cigar, giving a whole mouth play of flavor where you thought you tasted it, then it fleeting away with the smoke, towards the end of the cigar, last 1/4 or so, the flavor really picked up, and there was no more hinting about it, the spice was there, and it let you know. Not enough to make it uncomfortable but enough to pack a little punch. The amount of smoke produced I'd say was moderate, I was very happy with this cigar and look forward to buying more.

Macanudo (not sure which kind)

macanudo.jpg

It was suggested that I try this brand to get a medium to mild cigar to try, and it was a name I've heard thrown around before. It had a tan/brown wrapper, and a great amount of smoke produced. The flavor on the other hand, just wasn't my cup of tea. It had a medium amount of spice, nothing to burn your mouth over, though the flavor it gave just wasn't as pleasant as I would of hoped. I really can't describe it, had some of the normal spices that I taste in cigars, just was something different, and nasty. So pro was lots of smoke, which I like, con was nasty flavor.

Fellow newbie...i did the same thing...great journal. Looks like some heavy smokes. I'm more of a mild-med guy. RP vintage 99, cusano 18 DC

People, this ihas the beginnings of a nice journal...well done friend!:tu Have some ring gauge.

I;m with you on the macs... they're digusting

+1. Same experience here. I had one of my first (and last) Mac. It just had a funny taste to it that I didn't care for. I couldn't really put my finger on the flavor wheel where it was showing up, but I know I didn't like it.

Back