A review -- Visited Connecticut and Scotland on same night

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
This review is on Condega Connecticut Torpedo (6.5 x 54). Recommended to me by TXMatt.

Description of the cigar from Holts ---- “…. Condega is a super premium brand of the finest blending and construction available now at blowout prices! Handmade in Nicaragua using only vintage Nicaraguan tobaccos for filler and binder, Condega is highlighted by its authentic Connecticut shade grown wrapper. Smooth, flavorful and complex, this cigar is a sure bet for those looking for a mild to medium bodied smoke at a great value.”

Cigars are rolled in Nicaragua at Tabacalara Tropical and rumored to be a PEPIN BLEND

WRAPPER – CONNECTICUT SHADE - a little unusual for a Nicaraguan; Binder: Nicaraguan; filler: Nicaraguan.

Date Tested: 1/20/07
Date Purchased: Mid August ‘06
Price: $2.20 – Online (Holts)

Accompaniement: Benrinnes 15 Year (Speyside) – It rocks BTW!!!!!! Great match with this cigar. I favor Islays (Peaty/Spicey) and I was reading on CS that Spicey (ie Nicaraguan Cigars) and Spicey (ie Islay whiskeys) are a natural match. Since the spice is toned down on this cigar (Connecticut wrapper) I skipped my normal Lagavulin or Caol Ila for the Benrinnes– worked out great.

Storage: Cooler – 57% humidity (oops, it couldn’t have been that low for long – cooler is usually stable at 65%)

Conditions Tested: evening, 45 Deg., overcast, rain. In the workshop sanding and staining Jr.s new play table.

As you can see from the photos cigar is very light colored (especially evident in photo with my slobber all over it). Wrapper is a little fragile and the expert who rec’ed this cigar to me surmises it is probably a cheaper grade Con. Wrapper. One thing that Is very noticeable is the cigars weight/heft is very light – don’t know why.

Cut very easy with a Havana cutter (Dickman cut, which I always use on Torps). A little too loose on draw – could be result of humidity. I really like this cigar. I sent some out on a cutter group buy. Got only one response back, and it wasn’t positive at all. Maybe as a result of that I haven’t had one in a couple months and I thought maybe they weren’t as good as I originally thought. Well, they are as good as I thought – at least for me. This is my go to cigar. Great price point. Smooth cigar. I am not good with adjectives, but I guess creamy applies from the Connecticut wrapper, which kind of masks the typical Nicaraguan spice which on it’s face I would say why would you want to do that? But it works – great flavor. I have three sitting in the humi (haven’t smoked), but I can’t help but wonder how this cigar compares to the Pepin “Cuban Diplomat” that also has a Connecticut wrapper. As I understand it, this is a little unorthodox on Nicaraguan cigars.

Burn on cigar was not quite what it was last time I smoked one – again probably my low humidity for last week or so. Up until first ash (1 ¼”) It was perfect. Perhaps trying to get a long ash screwed things up a little with slight interior canoeing inside of the binder requiring a couple touch-ups. Probably also a result of fact I was sanding and staining and I left the cigar quite a number of times. One positive is the ability of the cigar to stay lit given my inattention to it. I like that in a cigar.

It is a pretty big stick and I was inhaling dust and maybe had too much scotch and coffee, but I got a little gut rumble after it was done. Nothing that a half quart of Breyers Vanilla Bean couldn't cure. No noticeable Nic buzz, probably masked by the whiskey (or the lacquer fumes)

Scoring was as follows:

Wrapper = 9.5
Cap = 9.5
Fill = 9.0
Smoke = 10.0
Burn = 9.0 – any burn problems were surely my fault from poor storage to
inattentiveness during the smoke.
Ash = 9.5
Smoothness = 9.5
Flavor Quality = 9.5 – a nice accent to the typical Nicaraguan spice
Aroma = 9.0
Satisfaction = 9.0 (My GO-TO SMOKE)

Total Points = 90.0 Grade A-. Factor in the value and I’ll give it an A -- I STRONGLY recommend (but caveat emptor, remember it got panned by a fellow BOTL who knows cigars a lot better than I do)

Cheers,

BillyBarue

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Last edited:
Great review thanks.

I had to look up "Dickman cut"...found this quote on the JR site:

"It is named in honor of its biggest proponent, Joe Dickman, the soon to be retired Fuente-Newman west coast sales rep. This is a straight cut, but done at 45-degree angle. This cut opens a tremendous surface area and directs the smoke down onto the palate - the idea being that it will maximize the cigar's flavor. "

Going to get a torp out of the humi right now
:ss

I was a little unclear in the review. I meant I have three Pepin Cuban Diplomats in the humi, I have quite a few more Condegas. The Cuban Diplomats are a Pepin Cigar that also uses a Connecticut wrapper. Since Pepin might have worked the blend for Condegas at Tabacalara Tropical, I wonder if there are similarities in these two stogies.

Guess I need to grab one of the Cuban Diplomats and find out.

Billybarue

I was really good friends with the rep for Tab. Tropical and i dont think this is a Pepin blend, plus ive had them and they dont really smack of being a Pepin, not like the Nicaro does. Hope this helps!

...kjpman

Good revew Joe! Just please stop calling me an expert..

My thoughts on the cigar; you and I have discussed them before but this might be helpful to others. I am now on my 3rd box of these $2 marvels..

First my complaints:
Although the wrapper is a real Connecticut shade (not Ecuador from Connecticut seed) it must be from a non-traditional priming. This wrapper has tooth and is rather thick, not your typical thin baby-butt smooth Connecticut wrapper, not as visually beautiful.
The packaging must not breathe at all because you can really smell the ammonia when you first crack the box, even though these (dated) boxes are several years old.
The cigar doesn't hold onto ash very well. It frequently will drop off after only an inch.

Now what I like:
Once you give the cigars several weeks or a few months time with the lid of the box cracked to allow the built up ammonia to escape they get very very good. While I am usually a "cello on" person, I strip it off the top 5 to give them maximum breathing opportunity. The main flavor is typical for cigars using Nicaraguan Corojo (and that is where this cigar parallels many Pepins). The creamy notes from the wrapper are very noticable, especially in the finish. If you love corojo flavor but you aren't always in the mood for an intense flavor bomb, this cigar really fits the bill. Personally I think the Cuban Diplomat wastes the Connecticut wrapper as its high liger content blend overwhelms most of the flavor the wrapper has to offer. The Condega Connecticut on the other hand is blended so that you can notice the wrapper's creamy flavor.
Draw on the cigars is excellent; this cigar really showcases the talent of the rollers at Tabacalera Tropical. As Joe commented the cigar feels light for its size. The filler in this cigar is bunched, so there is more air space than the more common tablet folded filler cigars. The drawback to this construction method is that is less forgiving to novice smokers who "smoke too fast". This cigar will smoke hot and taste will suffer if you don't give it time. Even with its "understuffed" fill I haven't found many of them with voids or soft spots. This is how all cigars should be rolled IMHO, but adding lots of filler in a tablet fold is easier and quicker for less experienced torcedors, and therefore cheaper for the manufacturer. There are many overstuffed tablet folded cigars I enjoy, but I prefer the bunched method for its superior draw characteristics. If you haven't smoked many bunched cigars it takes a little getting used to. While Cuban cigars are also bunched, I find that they seem a lot harder to smoke too fast.

-Matt-

Last edited:
This review is on Condega Connecticut Torpedo (6.5 x 54). Recommended to me by TXMatt.

Description of the cigar from Holts ---- “…. Condega is a super premium brand of the finest blending and construction available now at blowout prices! Handmade in Nicaragua using only vintage Nicaraguan tobaccos for filler and binder, Condega is highlighted by its authentic Connecticut shade grown wrapper. Smooth, flavorful and complex, this cigar is a sure bet for those looking for a mild to medium bodied smoke at a great value.”

Cigars are rolled in Nicaragua at Tabacalara Tropical and rumored to be a PEPIN BLEND

WRAPPER – CONNECTICUT SHADE - a little unusual for a Nicaraguan; Binder: Nicaraguan; filler: Nicaraguan.

Date Tested: 1/20/07
Date Purchased: Mid August ‘06
Price: $2.20 – Online (Holts)

Accompaniement: Benrinnes 15 Year (Speyside) – It rocks BTW!!!!!! Great match with this cigar. I favor Islays (Peaty/Spicey) and I was reading on CS that Spicey (ie Nicaraguan Cigars) and Spicey (ie Islay whiskeys) are a natural match. Since the spice is toned down on this cigar (Connecticut wrapper) I skipped my normal Lagavulin or Caol Ila for the Benrinnes– worked out great.

Storage: Cooler – 57% humidity (oops, it couldn’t have been that low for long – cooler is usually stable at 65%)

Conditions Tested: evening, 45 Deg., overcast, rain. In the workshop sanding and staining Jr.s new play table.

As you can see from the photos cigar is very light colored (especially evident in photo with my slobber all over it). Wrapper is a little fragile and the expert who rec’ed this cigar to me surmises it is probably a cheaper grade Con. Wrapper. One thing that Is very noticeable is the cigars weight/heft is very light – don’t know why.

Cut very easy with a Havana cutter (Dickman cut, which I always use on Torps). A little too loose on draw – could be result of humidity. I really like this cigar. I sent some out on a cutter group buy. Got only one response back, and it wasn’t positive at all. Maybe as a result of that I haven’t had one in a couple months and I thought maybe they weren’t as good as I originally thought. Well, they are as good as I thought – at least for me. This is my go to cigar. Great price point. Smooth cigar. I am not good with adjectives, but I guess creamy applies from the Connecticut wrapper, which kind of masks the typical Nicaraguan spice which on it’s face I would say why would you want to do that? But it works – great flavor. I have three sitting in the humi (haven’t smoked), but I can’t help but wonder how this cigar compares to the Pepin “Cuban Diplomat” that also has a Connecticut wrapper. As I understand it, this is a little unorthodox on Nicaraguan cigars.

Burn on cigar was not quite what it was last time I smoked one – again probably my low humidity for last week or so. Up until first ash (1 ¼”) It was perfect. Perhaps trying to get a long ash screwed things up a little with slight interior canoeing inside of the binder requiring a couple touch-ups. Probably also a result of fact I was sanding and staining and I left the cigar quite a number of times. One positive is the ability of the cigar to stay lit given my inattention to it. I like that in a cigar.

It is a pretty big stick and I was inhaling dust and maybe had too much scotch and coffee, but I got a little gut rumble after it was done. Nothing that a half quart of Breyers Vanilla Bean couldn't cure. No noticeable Nic buzz, probably masked by the whiskey (or the lacquer fumes)

Scoring was as follows:

Wrapper = 9.5
Cap = 9.5
Fill = 9.0
Smoke = 10.0
Burn = 9.0 – any burn problems were surely my fault from poor storage to
inattentiveness during the smoke.
Ash = 9.5
Smoothness = 9.5
Flavor Quality = 9.5 – a nice accent to the typical Nicaraguan spice
Aroma = 9.0
Satisfaction = 9.0 (My GO-TO SMOKE)

Total Points = 90.0 Grade A-. Factor in the value and I’ll give it an A -- I STRONGLY recommend (but caveat emptor, remember it got panned by a fellow BOTL who knows cigars a lot better than I do)

Cheers,

BillyBarue

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

No ice in the scotch it must be cold there

i just had a condega connecticut that was given to me during the newbie PIF (i think tchariya was part of a box split). all i have to say it billybarue and txmatt's review is dead on.

the wrapper wasn't all that aesthetic and mine actually did have a soft spot...but maybe that wasn't a soft spot, maybe that was damage from shipment or storage. it's really light for it's size and you can tell this thing isn't packed with the filler. very smooth and i guess creamy is the word everyone is using. for me, the smoke was consistent from beginning to end...with the exception of some initial harshness, but that might be more from the way i lit the cigar.

definitely a light-bodied cigar. then again, i'm more accustomed to med-full, these days, so maybe the contrast threw me off. if you like lighter cigars, this thing is a bargain. i'd rate this with a B-grade, but again, i'm a med-full kind of guy.

Back