A sticky problem

illinoishoosier

Will Whore for Cigars
Been having this problem since pretty much day one. I have a few of the "brand" humis from CI and I have had no luck keeping the humidifying puck attached to the top. The velcro pads won;t stick, crazy glue didn't work and double sided tape work for a while.

any suggestions?

The Velcro probably isn't sticking because of the moisture in the wood. You might try using a torch lighter to carefully warm and dehydrate a small area of the lid and then stick the Velcro to it. Also use a high quality Velcro that is intended for rough surfaces. It will have slightly thicker glue on the back.

I didn't say go fire up the acetylene torches and burn a hole through the lid. :D

If one is careful to use only the heat from a torch lighter and not the direct flame, it will dry out a small controlled area of the cedar. Of course it will warm it also, and the Velcro will more than likely stick without any issues. The brand humidors from CI are 20 bucks each, if you happen go overboard and even so much as discolor the cedar, it's pretty cheap to replace it.

It's exactly what I would try if I was in your situation.

I didn't say go fire up the acetylene torches and burn a hole through the lid. :D

If one is careful to use only the heat from a torch lighter and not the direct flame, it will dry out a small controlled area of the cedar. Of course it will warm it also, and the Velcro will more than likely stick without any issues. The brand humidors from CI are 20 bucks each, if you happen go overboard and even so much as discolor the cedar, it's pretty cheap to replace it.

It's exactly what I would try if I was in your situation.

Understood, Brother...I would just never do it. ;) :r

Like it's been suggested above, you can always lay them on top of your sticks. Or lay it sideways on the floor of the humi at the foot of the cigars.

Hey Hoosierman... :) I can relate. I had that very same problem with a humi I got from CI. I never did come up with a solution and it frustrated me to no end...so I found the solution. I sent it to ssutton and now it's his problem. :D

In fact, I had that problem with another humi as well.

Hey Hoosierman... :) I can relate. I had that very same problem with a humi I got from CI. I never did come up with a solution and it frustrated me to no end...so I found the solution. I sent it to ssutton and now it's his problem. :D

In fact, I had that problem with another humi as well.

Now I know where to send them:D

For now I am reseasoning them. They seem to stop holding RH in the last few months. I was just resting the puck on the bottom, took up space butt it worked.

I had the same one. I just went out to a craft store and bought some velcro and placed the one in the humi. It worked fine until I upgraded :D

Even when I could get them to stick, the florist foam would drip water into my stash, unless it was only marginally hydrated, which lead to lots of upkeep time, and more than one water damaged stick. My solution was to throw the puck away and buy a bead stick from Viper. As an alternative, I use Drymist tubes in several other of my smaller humis, never have issues, just keep an eye on them and re-fill when necessary. I usually can get them off cbid for a couple dollars less than retail. If you decide you want to use the puck, and need more, I have 3 or 4 sitting around collecting dust, since they are the first thing chucked out of any new humi I get:D

Long term storage requires long term solutions, and the cheap humi pucks don't fit that bill, even when the foam is replaced with beads, since the puck will not hold enough beads to be effective. Hundreds of dollars worth of sticks, invest $20 in long term control (i.e. beads/Drymist or similar products).

I use "Heavy Duty Mounting Squares" made by Scotch (3M). I've used them in my last 2 humidors to hold my metal humidifying unit (with magnets) on the roof and it's never let go yet. Works great!

Back