A Tale Of Woe And Ruination And All My Fault

Teninx

SilverBack
Two weeks ago, at a Tatuaje event at my local B&M, I bought a box of RC184
"Limited Edition" Tatuajes. There was discounted pricing and a gift with purchase, so I was feeling great about having a box of a special cigar that I always wanted but never tried. I put them in the coolerdor to settle down and wait for an opportunity to smoke. If you're unfamiliar with this vitola, it's a 7 1/4 x 57 perfecto that's foil-wrapped half the length of the cigar from the head down, with the band at the midpoint. Last night I was ready to smoke the first one. I unwrapped the foil, clipped the cap and set it down to gather my lighter and drink before going outside. Once on the deck with cigar and drink in hand, I fired it up. Very nice, mellow smoke at first, but wait! It began almost immediatly to unravel. Oh NO! My much anticipated smoke was falling apart. I tried all the remidies to stick the wrapper back to the binder, but it only got worse as the smoke progressed. Not only was the wrapper completly gone, the binder was coming loose.

I let it go out in frustration. When I picked it up to take a closer look, I found the reason for my great disappointment. I had lit the head of the cigar and was smoking it from the foot. I had failed to notice the difference from my cut and the nipple of the end of the cigar and had no visual reference from the band, which remained in the middle of the stick.

I'll pay more attention next time. This isn't the first time I've made such a rookie mistake, but it's the first time in about eight years and the first with such a fine smoke. Fortunatly, I have nine more to experiance and enjoy.

I almost did that last weekend. I started to toast the wrong end of an IT Fire... caught myself just before I actually lit it. :al

Dude I feel for ya. Get this, I just sat down friday after laying my new sod yard!!! I cut my Pam64 Principe' a tad too deep and it started to unravel, luckily I pulled the band back to hold it, whew disaster avoided. Man I hope you get another chance to hammer one, they wound great.!

at least now you know what it's like to smoke a cigar backwards. can't say i do.
it will be interesting to compare the flavor once you smoke one the right way around..

at least now you know what it's like to smoke a cigar backwards. can't say i do.
it will be interesting to compare the flavor once you smoke one the right way around..

Yeah, I was wondering what the difference in experience would be if you smoked a cigar backwards. I guess they rollers worked in a booby trap for those who try...

That IS the positive that comes from this experiance. When I'm able to try the next one, I'll give a report and review.

This is funny for me because I routinely light perfectos backwards. Especially short ones like Torano Signature Perfectos where you pretty much have to take the band(s) off before lighting. I make a mental note of which end is which and then take off the band but by the time I actually get around to lighting, I always end up getting it backwards.

Don't feel too bad.

I once gave a guy a cigar only to watch it unravel as he smoked it. I felt so bad, I gave him another one, apologizing profulsely for what I thought must have been a cigar I left out too long unhumidified while playing golf or something. Then I watched as that cigar, too, unraveled. Finally, I said to the man who told me he had been smoking cigars for years: "are you sure you didn't light the wrong end?" "No, of course not!" was his reply. So then I had him show me. Lo and behold he was cutting and lighting the same end every time.

So, at least you know the difference and only did it once--it could have been worse (and been my cigars;))

See, by the title of your post (and after the first and biggest paragraph), I was expecting to hear a really, really, really bad story about how somehow the entire box had dried out completely to the point of being ruined (or something along those lines).

You still have 24 more left to light on the correct end. :tu

ohhhh, that sucks, gave me a good chuckle though

:tpd:

Glad you figured out what the problem was... at least you aren't left wringing your hands over the rest of those sweet sticks! I'm sure the rest will be perfect. :ss

See, by the title of your post (and after the first and biggest paragraph), I was expecting to hear a really, really, really bad story about how somehow the entire box had dried out completely to the point of being ruined (or something along those lines).

You still have 24 more left to light on the correct end. :tu

Nine more. They're sold in boxes of ten, but point well taken!!:ss

Damn, I actually did the same thing one night after drinking with a Fonseca KDT Cadet....it actually smoked fine....I was surprised....

damn, sorry you had to ditch that stick.

Back