Actually saw the evidence of tobacco beetles today at a local shop!!

Rev2010

Maturing Primate
So, I was at a local shop in Hoboken and was picking out cigars. Now, I love this shop, though their prices seem seriously inflated now that I've compared with online retailers. Anyhow, I picked up a few cigars and found a nice looking batch of Montecristo's on the bottom shelf. Well, thank God I started learning about cigars (still a noob) and learned how to inspect them, cause I found a whole bunch with holes burrowed by tobacco beetles! I told the wife about it and showed her and she demanded I put them down and get away from them :) But, I told her I should mention it to the owner to which her nervous self objected thiking he might be offended. But I was determined to tell him for his own good and for the safety of his stock. So, at the point I was paying for the cigars he went in and started messin' about so I went in to tell him. I pointed it out and he instantly took concern and thanked me, as well as apologized, for the find. I started talking to him since I love his own brand of cigars (called Don Donato) and it turns out the guy used to work for Arturo Fuente - guess that's how he got his learning. I gotta say, as a total noob it felt kinda good to be able to apply some of my learning! :D

Rev.

sounds well handled to me- surely he will remember you for future purchases :ss

Haha, I hope so... been buying there for a while! But I think I'm only going to go there from now on for his own brand of smokes, since they're so damn good. After seeing how much he's jacking up the price I feel a bit swindled. I looked up some of the ones I bought tonight and find he's jacking up the price nearly twice of what they're selling for online. Gonna try JR Cigars here in Manhattan next.

Rev.

That is normal. You will find that at most b&m's compared to buying online.
I agree with that, due to the 'buy and sell in bulk' mentality, and still buy all of my singles (and some of my boxes too) from a B&M just down the road. Whenever I need to order several boxes, etc I will go with an online retailer, but only with sticks that I see as 'consistent'.

There is just something that sets me at ease to inspect the sticks myself, and take them from one controlled, humidified environment to another. Plus, as you have seen - you get a first hand attempt at inspecting for beetle holes.

As for the 'home brand' that you have found - how would you characterize the sticks?

I wouldn't buy anything from a beetle infested store...

Agreed! Make sure whatever you bought there is kept separate from you other smokes at home if you have any. Might have an outbreak of your own and they will destroy your stash! Also, might want to freeze those to be safe.

Agreed! Make sure whatever you bought there is kept separate from you other smokes at home if you have any. Might have an outbreak of your own and they will destroy your stash! Also, might want to freeze those to be safe.

I checked all the ones I bought and they all are clear, but yeah I know there could be eggs and all that. I've bought from him before so I trust his product. Also, the infected ones were far away from all I bought, but yeah I know adult beetles can fly. I only keep under ten sticks at a time so far so I'm not too worried about it..... yet.

Rev.

I checked all the ones I bought and they all are clear, but yeah I know there could be eggs and all that. I've bought from him before so I trust his product. Also, the infected ones were far away from all I bought, but yeah I know adult beetles can fly. I only keep under ten sticks at a time so far so I'm not too worried about it..... yet.

Rev.

Tell the guy to buy some beetle traps. I saw a few shops this year with them tucked away.

Back