Advice, help and ideas..........

stig

CS Death Bookie
Not sure if this is the best place to start this thread so if there is a better spot for this, mods, please feel free to move.

Well I was leaving rehersal for my pipe band last night and passed a stick off to our Pipe Major because he is also a cigar smoker and whiskey lover. (Big sirprise we get along) He looks at me as he is getting in to his car and says "we should have a cigar and whiskey night for a fund raiser for the band". He suggests that we run it durring the off season, February maybe because it's a slow time for marching groups and would be a nice social even. I have now been assigned the task of trying to make this happen so I figured I would ask all of you some questions to get an idea of what to do.

The thought right now is that we would also serve some type of dinner at this event so people aren't just smoking and drinking all night on an empty stomach. At some point the pipe band would come out and play a set for the crowd (about 20 - 30 minutes). I am hoping to be able to put together or get donated for the event (The pipe band is a non-profit organization) cigar samplers of 4-5 cigars each and hopefully have sampling of 3 - 5 whiskys. There will also hopefully be some raffles that will keep in theme with the nights events. I have seen events like this run by cigar shops that have run upwards of $100.00 per ticket. Sooooo.........

1. What price do you think would be reasonable for a ticket to an event such as this? I need to be able to keep cost within reason and still mkae money for the group.

2. Would you preffer an event like this to have dinner or just some snack or finger food? Or no food at all and keep it completely a scial event?

3. What whisky's would be good picks to cover a wide range of tastes that the largest number of people would enjoy.

4. What type of items would you like to see in raffles?

If anyone has ever runan event like this and has any advice or information they would like to share it would be great.

I've never hosted a big herf, so I can't really give any advice about budgeting etc... but being a happy punter with (I hope) good taste, I know what I'd like! ;)

2. Would you preffer an event like this to have dinner or just some snack or finger food? Or no food at all and keep it completely a scial event?

A cigar-only event would make your life easier, but you could raise more money by putting on a dinner. Think of happy, full, drunk guys bidding on auctions/raffles! ;)

3. What whisky's would be good picks to cover a wide range of tastes that the largest number of people would enjoy.

To complement cigars, you can't go wrong with a few quality single malt Scotches (e.g. Talisker, Laphroaig, Oban etc) as well as bourbon for those who prefer a sweeter drink.

Rare aged cigars, cigar-related stuff (cutters, lighters, ashtrays etc) and nekkid chicks. :tu

Not sure if this is the best place to start this thread so if there is a better spot for this, mods, please feel free to move.

Well I was leaving rehersal for my pipe band last night and passed a stick off to our Pipe Major because he is also a cigar smoker and whiskey lover. (Big sirprise we get along) He looks at me as he is getting in to his car and says "we should have a cigar and whiskey night for a fund raiser for the band". He suggests that we run it durring the off season, February maybe because it's a slow time for marching groups and would be a nice social even. I have now been assigned the task of trying to make this happen so I figured I would ask all of you some questions to get an idea of what to do.

The thought right now is that we would also serve some type of dinner at this event so people aren't just smoking and drinking all night on an empty stomach. At some point the pipe band would come out and play a set for the crowd (about 20 - 30 minutes). I am hoping to be able to put together or get donated for the event (The pipe band is a non-profit organization) cigar samplers of 4-5 cigars each and hopefully have sampling of 3 - 5 whiskys. There will also hopefully be some raffles that will keep in theme with the nights events. I have seen events like this run by cigar shops that have run upwards of $100.00 per ticket. Sooooo.........

1. What price do you think would be reasonable for a ticket to an event such as this? I need to be able to keep cost within reason and still mkae money for the group.

If anyone has ever runan event like this and has any advice or information they would like to share it would be great.

Make sure you find a venue first. I don't know what state you're in but smoking is a no-no pretty much everywhere in Cali. The venue will determine how many people you should expect and whether or not if it's big enough for a dinner and a show. Once you figure out how many people you'd like to be there, figure out a budget. Say you expect 100 people, you're gonna need 400+ cigars and enough whisky to give. Try to get a sponser for the event. That will keep your costs low. Once you figure out how much you're spending, then you can factor in how much you should charge. You should also pass out fliers and try to establish a very large e-mail database & a lot of myspace friends so you can spread the word out. The more people know, the more money you'll generate. As far as a raffle, donations are fabulous, but you should try to keep the prizes related to the evening (cigars, whisky, and band stuff). Hope this helps

Not sure about your state requirements, but you might need to get a liquor license, and possibly insurance also.

I am part of a group that puts on a fund raiser every year:

1.with so many places tying smoking laws to food service, local ordinances are going to be something that you need to check out – checking a couple of venues might help for what is allowed

2.our state has a law about the value of raffle items – over a certain $ amount you need a license. We do auctions & a raffle to comply. Check your state laws

3.pricing can be difficult, it’s a balance of what are you giving away, can you tug on heart strings (kids telling how it helps them if the bids go higher), and trying to guess who might come (# of deep pockets). We started out as a free event to get more people in the door (money coming in on the auctions), then last year charging for tickets once we went with grab bags and snacks

Hope this helps a bit

Not sure about your state requirements, but you might need to get a liquor license, and possibly insurance also.

If you have it at some sort of banquet hall, I think their licenses would cover it. You probably have to buy the booze through them too though.

There have to be ways around licensing though. There are tons of gun bashes around here that serve beer and are not run by organizations that have liquor licenses. I think they get around it by charging a fee to get in or for the raffle, and giving the beer away, so technically they're not selling the beer.

If you have it at some sort of banquet hall, I think their licenses would cover it. You probably have to buy the booze through them too though.

There have to be ways around licensing though. There are tons of gun bashes around here that serve beer and are not run by organizations that have liquor licenses. I think they get around it by charging a fee to get in or for the raffle, and giving the beer away, so technically they're not selling the beer.

:tpd: I have been to a few fishing and a few paintball events where there was "free booze" you pay a set fee to get in and it covers your drinking/eating ect... Like he said since you are giving it away you dont have to purchase it,but one thing that I did see at each was some kind of state/city official checking IDs upon entrance,not sure if that was to cover the promoters butt,or manditory. Was always a uniformed cop or sherrif

Back