AF Hemingway-Short Story

stogie4u4me

ChestBeater
I recently received an AF Hemingway-Short Story. Tonight after a great meal I decided to try it. First let me start off to say that I am new to cigars and am in no way an authority or do I feel 100% qualified to write a review but hear it goes.

At first I must admit I was a little curious as to how the cigar would smoke given it's unique shape and small length. It took me two attempts to successfully light the cigar. I wasn't sure if I should cut off a piece of the head or not. Once lit the cigar had a really strong taste of smoke. Maybe from the large amount of the rapper that was being burned before it made the turn. The taste was not too strong though. The burn did start off a little uneven. However, with the help of my lighter and a little blowing on the end it did quickly repair itself. Then the cigar began to open up with a taste of leaves. Very smooth, strong-but not too strong. The draw was a little tight but not as bad as some. About midway through the draw became even and almost effortless. The taste began to change for me from a leafy to almost a taste of leather. As it approached the nub the taste was for the most part consistent with just a touch of bitterness. Given the short size of the cigar I was only able to enjoy it for about 20 minutes before it became too hot and I let it die.
Overall I was a pretty good experience. I would recommend this cigar to anyone who is looking for a good short smoke.

I've smoked quite a few of the Short Story's and actually have one in my pocket right now (going to have it with my morning coffe). Can't remember having such a problem as you have stated. It's always been a consistant smoke and the taste has never left me thinking it was too much for me to handle. Let me get my AM coffee and smoke out of the way and I'll let you know how it went.

great review! I have heard lots of talk about them amongst the gorillas and am looking forward to my fist. As soon as the funds loosen up a bit there are several A.F.s I'd like to try.

I've smoked quite a few of the Short Story's and actually have one in my pocket right now (going to have it with my morning coffe). Can't remember having such a problem as you have stated. It's always been a consistant smoke and the taste has never left me thinking it was too much for me to handle. Let me get my AM coffee and smoke out of the way and I'll let you know how it went.
???

Good job on the review. If it only lasted 20 minutes and was a little bitter you were probably smoking it to hot. Slow down a little. When a cigar is good its hard to smoke it slow, but it will last longer and taste better if you don't let it get to hot. A rule that a lot of people use is to hit it once every minute.

Short Story is one of my favorites.

I recently received an AF Hemingway-Short Story. Tonight after a great meal I decided to try it. First let me start off to say that I am new to cigars and am in no way an authority or do I feel 100% qualified to write a review but hear it goes.

At first I must admit I was a little curious as to how the cigar would smoke given it's unique shape and small length. It took me two attempts to successfully light the cigar. I wasn't sure if I should cut off a piece of the head or not. Once lit the cigar had a really strong taste of smoke. Maybe from the large amount of the rapper that was being burned before it made the turn. The taste was not too strong though. The burn did start off a little uneven. However, with the help of my lighter and a little blowing on the end it did quickly repair itself. Then the cigar began to open up with a taste of leaves. Very smooth, strong-but not too strong. The draw was a little tight but not as bad as some. About midway through the draw became even and almost effortless. The taste began to change for me from a leafy to almost a taste of leather. As it approached the nub the taste was for the most part consistent with just a touch of bitterness. Given the short size of the cigar I was only able to enjoy it for about 20 minutes before it became too hot and I let it die.
Overall I was a pretty good experience. I would recommend this cigar to anyone who is looking for a good short smoke.

Thanks for posting the review...2 suggestions...Trim a small amount off the foot and as others have suggested slow down. This should be a 40 min+ smoke (well for me anyway...)

Just finished up a Short Story and had none of the problems you mentioned... it took about 35 minutes to finish and I was able to smoke it down to small nub without it going sour. Great draw throughout as well as a consistant flavor if not as full as I would have liked. Pace yourself with a drink, book, or some typing on your favorite cigar forum.

I just found out that my tobbacconist carries the short story. I've heard great things about them, so I will have to give 'em a whirl. :tu

I've heard great things over and over again about hemmingway. The one I had was utterly tasteless, it was the largest size though, don't recall the name offhand. I have heard since then that fuente tends to ship cigars fairly wet, so that may have accounted for the lack of flavor. Every positive word I see makes me want to give it another shot. :tu

That cigar is by far one my favorite smokes! It's short sweet and to the point along with full of falvor and richness! Great review thanks for sharing! Now I must go hit up the Local B&M to have one!

Shawn:ss

I've heard great things over and over again about hemmingway. The one I had was utterly tasteless, it was the largest size though, don't recall the name offhand. I have heard since then that fuente tends to ship cigars fairly wet, so that may have accounted for the lack of flavor. Every positive word I see makes me want to give it another shot. :tu

I had the same experience from time to time with the A.F Hemingway Cameroon wrapper cigar. One particular example is the Best Seller size. One day it tastes great with all the cammie flavor, cedar, slightly woody, nice medium tobacco aroma, the next day it is almost bland smoke like eating a piece of just white stand-alone sandwich bread. I also had this blandness experience a couple times with the Signature size. Wonder perhaps that aging them too long more than a year may have decrease the intensity and flavor of the Hemingway line. I don't have this type of bland tobacco taste with the A.F Don Carlos... Strange, huh... :confused:

The Short Story is a great little smoke. It is one of the first Fuentes I smoked. I just light the nipple and I get a perfect burn every time. I had one with a bad draw, but one out of 25 isn't a bad ratio. I'd say this cigar should last about 40 minutes so you should slow down a bit-that might take care of the bitterness at the end of the smoke.

I was just introduced to the SS from a friend on here (skipper) that had come over to my house.

He dropped off several excellent cigars including this fine smoke and told me about clubstogie.

So in one week I found a new delicious cigar and this forum. Now that is a GREAT friend.

I thought it was >45 minutes but I smoke them till they burn me. No light or burn problems and great construction as I have come to expect from all Fuente cigars.

Back