AFuente Don Carlos Double Robusto

edisonbird

SilverBack
I was gifted a beautiful isom HUpmann 96 Sir Winston. I decided to savor it today.I just finished smoking this beautiful vitola, it was good, but not as good as I had anticipated, certainly not as good as the SLR churchill that I nubbed two days ago. I was expecting an explosion of flavor but all I got was a light bodied dud. Maybe I was expecting to much. When I finished I felt cheated and wanting more. I fired up a Fuente Don Carlos Double Robusto. I hate to say this to all you isom maniacs, but the Don Carlos was fantastic, full bodied with the explosion of flavors I had expected from the Upmann. Has any one out there had any similar experiences with Upmann. I thought it was extremely mild and uneventful, especially when compared to the Don Carlos. I am going to have to lay in a supply of them. I would prefer Don Carlos to almost any cigar that I have had. Thank God they are available in my local tobacco shop. WOW:D :D :D

Rick, I really cannot argue with your evaluation. I had a 98 Sir Winston last week that was outstanding, but I have had several others that were not. I would also never expect any explosions of flavor from this cigar. I find it to be (when at it's best) a medium bodied enjoyable cigar. The Don Carlos on the other hand really does have those "explosions" that you mentioned and consistently so. I personally believe that the Don Carlos line is the best that Fuente has to offer, far superior to the fabled and much hyped Opus X. Arguably, the Don Carlos cigars rank as some of the best in the world and as anyone who follows my posts can tell I am a big ISOM fan.
Steve

Many people have told me they prefer Don Carlos to the Opus line. I've noticed they are ready right off the truck while Opus need at least a year to balance out what can be invasive flavors. Down to my last 3 or 4 from a box last 2 springs ago and it's going to be tough to smoke those last few.

By the way, I originally read your review on Saturday and was so moved that I immediately high tailed over to my favorite shop and fired one up. It was perfect, as expected.

Right on guys...a great smoke. The robusto is also a favorite of mine as is the #2. There's a guy who comes into my local tobacconist, buys one (the double) and fires it up every time he lands a big sale in his business.

As for the Sir Winston...have found they are like a woman...sometimes they grant your wildest dreams and other times they treat you like dirt. IMHO, one of the most inconsistent ISOMs produced.

Back