aged Padrons? - hijacked from Moki's taste test

Munkey

Howler Monkey
I read some things here that have touched on points of mystery for me in the last several months. Things I'm trying to figure out.

My first Padron Anniversaries I ever had were outstanding. Very powerful and full. I bought a lot of them and let them sit in my humidor. A year later I'm thinking they taste flat compared to the fresh versions. Now I'm wondering if they are sick (and will come around) or just flattened out.

Ive read in several places that Padron cigars are not intended to be aged, but rather smoked right away. When Yayson posted the above i thought I'd bring it out again as a topic. Thoughts

I bought a box of 26M Beli's and a box of 64M Exclusivos today and when they get here I'm going to camp out on the back porch until I die or surrender, whichever comes first.
If they're going to get any age on them, they're gonna have to do it really fast. :D

I bought a box of 26M Beli's and a box of 64M Exclusivos today and when they get here I'm going to camp out on the back porch until I die or surrender, whichever comes first.
If they're going to get any age on them, they're gonna have to do it really fast. :D

Nice. I have too many cigars to try before gong back and sampling those again. Like that is a problem or something. lol

I have some PAM64s with two years on them and I really like them. I wouldn't call them "aged," but they are definitely older than what you find at the B&M. I would guess that the B&M's PAM64s fly off the shelves within 2 months of arriving there. That being said, I like the older ones better. The flavors blend better and the significant "white wine" taste that I get in EVERY new PAM is a lot less pronounced. I know I sound like I'm on crack, but I swear to God that I taste white wine in fresh PAMs. Of all the cigars that I've smoked, the PAM is the only one that I've found that taste in. Weird, I know...

I think in large part, the flavor profile of the 64's lend themselves to being solid 'fresh' smokes. I've never looked at them as being a spicy cigar that would perhaps intensify or soften more over time, or as a subtle cigar that would attract a level of complexity that was lacking before.

The flavors in the 64's are so basic and palattable as a fresh smoke. Huge levels of chocolate, coffee, cinnamon, nut, etc etc. I wouldnt ever say that those flavors wouldnt develop even more over time, but I certainly think they appear well and come off cleaner in fresher cigars.

Now with the X000 series, I wholeheartedly believe that a bit of sitting does them well. I think that they have a lot less dimension and tend to develop their flavors and profiles much more with a rest.

The 2000s I was buying by the box after I caught myself at the shop grabbing my 5th fistful. The boxes never lived up to the taste of the fresh ones off the shelf at the (wet) B&M.

I know it's weird to say, but if I had to say, I'd say... huh? anyway... I prefer Padrons young and wet (70% as opposed to 60-65%)

cigars are really becoming more of a puzzle to me the more varieties I smoke

I am no expert on the subject, but I have had Padrons off the shelf that were good. However, a cigar out of the same box 6 months later was better IMO. I think any good cigar can get better with age, including a Padron. The ones I spoke of were 3000 Nats. I have gifted a 64 before and learned that it tasted a little young. Any good tobacco, like Gorillas, gets better with age IMO.:ss

Any good tobacco, like Gorillas, gets better with age IMO.:ss

I think by and large that is a great rule of thumb, but I'm of the opinion that in some cases, a cigar can be blended/rolled to have a better flavor profile as a fresh cigar and that some of those cigars dont always transform or become better/more flavorful/complex because as the tobacco matures, flavors start to clash a bit.

Ive read in several places that Padron cigars are not intended to be aged, but rather smoked right away. When Yayson posted the above i thought I'd bring it out again as a topic. Thoughts

Well, that may come from the fact that they age the tobacco for some time (for the 1964 line, and even longer for the 1926 line) before rolling it into cigars.

Still, I've had some very old Padróns that I thought have stood up quite well to the time. Padrón Millenniums, which are now going on 8 years old, are still quite robust and enjoyable (at least to me). These should be nice when I decide to start smoking them.

As with any cigar, though, it depends on your personal taste. Some cigars I enjoy both fresh and aged. Different experiences from the same tobacco.

EDIT: I just remembered that I have some 38 year old Padrón Lonsdales sitting around... I'll smoke it and let you know how it was.

Last edited:
EDIT: I just remembered that I have some 38 year old Padrón Lonsdales sitting around... I'll smoke it and let you know how it was.

Just not nice ;)

It all depends what you consider aging... I have some going on 4 years that I still will not touch. :ss

When I bought my first box of the churchills and 2000s, they tasted really "green" to me. After about 4months of age on the churchills, they were "ripe for the pickin." And they were delicious. But, I just bought 2 more boxes of each, and the 2000s, I can't put them down. You can tell by their scent, which I didn't notice on the first box, that they are raren to smoke, and believe me, they are amazing! The note in the box said it was from july 2007 or sometime in there. So they've got a little age on them, but they are perfect right now. I've not 2 boxes of 2000s, this freshbox, and another that's been sitting since about September. So I'll have to try one from both boxes and compare I suppose. If I remember and do it soon, I'll let ya know how they go.

I kept a Padron 26 maduro for about 3 years and it tasted better than they did when they were "fresh". Although, I smoked the fresh ones waaay before I came to like stronger smokes.
Just buy a couple, smoke one now, take notes, let the other "rest" for 6 months or so. Smoke it, then compair your notes.

Just my :2

Back