Aging Opus X'es

sames

ChestBeater
I know most people like to age their Opus X'es quite some time. I am just curious as to how long you like to age them before smoking them. I have heard a year, 2 years, and longer. What do you age them for or recommend?

And my picture of my purchases today :D

photo4au6.jpg

Ignore the grin, i dont know where that came from. :)

Ive got some power rangers and some No. 2's
with about a year on them, Ive heard that they
are good after five years hope i can wait that long.:dr

To hell with aging them! Smoke them now, or just use them as drum sticks and jam with Guitar Hero III!

Last Opus I smoked was an '05 Lancero and it was :dr . I definitely prefer them with at least a year on them, BUT I"ll never pass up a freshie either.

I have some Opus from 2001.

I think I have gifted more than I have smoked. But they are definately good with two years on them.

Hey, it's JD from the Howard Stern show! J/K:r
I have yet to try one with age but have a couple with about a year on them but don't plan on smoking them for at least another 6 months, so I would prob say 18 months to two years.
I have had them fresh and they tasted like ( l ). Still have yet to smoke an Opus I have enjoyed. Now Anejos, that's a whole different story!:tu:ss

I like to age them for two years minimum. They are good at two years, even better with three & four years, however, I find that they reach a magical period between five and seven years. I have sticks that are eight, nine and ten years old, going back to 1997 and they are awesome!!! However, I'll say it again, they seem to be at their very best, at between five and eight years!

Age them. I usually buy a bunch and smoke one right away. The rest are put down for at least 18 to 24 months. I pulled one I had since early 2005 and sparked it up last week. It was great, very smooth, great tasting. :cb

I like to age them for two years minimum. They are good at two years, even better with three & four years, however, I find that they reach a magical period between five and seven years. I have sticks that are eight, nine and ten years old, going back to 1997 and they are awesome!!! However, I'll say it again, they seem to be at their very best, at between five and eight years!

i've had two OR and they were some of the best i've ever had. i'm sitting on a lot that are from 01 right now. almost to their prime and they will probably sit a while longer.

The best Opus x I ever had was an Opus x reserve de' chateau. It had 7 yrs on it. WOW it was a fantasy come true for my taste buds. It was also a gift from a freind who has a hell of a lot of patience. Me I think the longest I have made it for ageing an opus was 6 mths. THE LONGER the better I believe.

DSC00404.jpg

:ss:tu

I have had a few from the OR and I have some from '01 also and they are awesome with age. Very smooth

I have some Opus from 2001.

I think I have gifted more than I have smoked. But they are definately good with two years on them.

im exactly the same way rich... i have some original release ones (1997 i think) but i have definately given more out then smoked...

I've smoked them a few days after I bought them and thought they were wonderful.

I have smoked a couple with 3-4 years on them and they are GREAT.

They are a good cigar that is all.

B

Why on earth would you want to age 2 cigars for a year or more? Unless you've got boxes and boxes of it there's really no point on letting single cigars sit in a humidor. Let them rest for a few days and smoke them!!!

is this to mean that non-aged opus x don't taste good? how developed do your tastebuds have to be to truly know a difference. i am just starting my collection, and am dying to smoke one, but from what it sounds like, i will be disappointed cuz they are "new".

is this to mean that non-aged opus x don't taste good? how developed do your tastebuds have to be to truly know a difference. i am just starting my collection, and am dying to smoke one, but from what it sounds like, i will be disappointed cuz they are "new".

Fresh Opus-X, which is an oxymoron, as they are aged between 12 month and 18 months, prior to release, are also very good. However, at that stage, they are usually aggressively strong and the flavor profile is not as complex as it will be with a few more years on it. I know a few people who love them at that stage, however, for me, I prefer it when they begin to mellow out and the flavors become more complex and rich.

If you have never had one you simply have to smoke it.

I have about 12 Opus x, and have no plans to smoke them for at least 2-3 more years. I'm very curious how they will be with several years on them, but will never again smoke a fresh one.
The 2 that I smoked fresh were ridiculously strong in kind of a repulsive way, and I don't want to feel that sick again any time soon...
Larry.

Back