Aging time dependant on size?

livwire68

Got Guns???
Does your aging time depend on size, length, CC, NC or ring size? Do the smaller need less time or more, what about a larger cigar, does it need more time in the humi due to its size? What are your thoughts, opinions or experiences?

Does your aging time depend on size, length, CC, NC or ring size? Do the smaller need less time or more, what about a larger cigar, does it need more time in the humi due to its size? What are your thoughts, opinions or experiences?

With any cigar, I'm of the opinion: Older is better.

Granted, past that, I feel that the blend of tobacco has the most to do with the aging process. Certain tobaccos will age differently, and the total blend will age based on what's in it.

I believe that the aging process also has to do with exposure to air. Yesterday I smoked an Ashton 898 with a ring guage of 46 (I think). I had received this box 3 months ago from Holts. The first one I tried was immature, and the cigars in the box gave off a faint whiff of ammonia.

The second one, a few weeks later was better but not great. Yesterday I smoked a 3rd one from that box out on the patio with 2 buddies. It was great. No more young grassy taste, not a trace of ammonia. After only 3 months these stogies are mature and delicious. I've never had this happen with bigger fatter cigars. In fact I have a few RP Sungrowns, R&J maduros, RP Edge, Brazilia etc. which I have had for over a year, and they are still not at their peak...

My conclusion is - the thinner rg's and lighter tobacco mature much faster than the thick dark heavy- hitters. Cheers, Larry.:2

Well, I think there's a distinction between acclimation (short term) and aging (long term). Larger cigars do take longer to acclimate. But I'm not sure that size makes much difference for real aging (we're talking years here).

-Ken

Back