Alec Bradley Tempus Corona

dantzig

Pseudo Gorilla
Alec Bradley Tempus Corona

The Tempus churchill just received a "94" rating in CA so I was very skeptical of this cigar before even obtaining one but that did put it on my radar as something to try. Frankly, I haven't thought too highly of the few AB cigars I've smoked. (Cigar Insider gave this vitola a "90" rating of those of you who might care.)

This is a very nice looking cigar. Dark brown wrapper with only a few small veins. Tight, firm construction. My only complaint is with the gaudy double bands, but I suppose some people like that kind of stuff.

The cap cut without incident. Pre-light draw was easy and had a bit of spice to it. A good amount of peppery spice off the light. Even burn with a salt-and-pepper ash. The spice was tempered only slightly with some earthiness and a touch of sweetness on the finish. For all the spice, it was still very smooth and left a creamy mouthfeel behind after each puff. The spice started to mellow out about 1/3 of the way in and some earthy coffee/cocao flavors took the forefront. The spice was still present and the finish remained sweet and creamy. Some nutty flavors emerged in the final third and mingled with the spice and cocao flavors. Overall, this cigar would fall into the medium-full strength category. I was feeling the nicotine by the time I set this cigar down.

While there is no way that I could see any cigar with this blend obtaining a fair "94" rating, I must say that this is a damn good cigar! I would put it up against the PAM64 and DPG JJ maduro--both cigars that I hold in very high regard. And at $6-10 each, the Alec Bradley Tempus line is a must-try if you like strong, full-flavored cigars.

Last edited:
I tried one of these today. I agree with most of your review. However, my experience was that it all came with an underlying harshness that the cigar couldn't shake, and I couldn't enjoy. I may have been too fresh from the local shop's walk-in. I am gonna wait a few months to smoke it's brother.

Nice review. This sounds like my type of cigar, but I am really skeptical with many of the new cigars that have come out. I think maybe my hopes are up too high, then I am let down.

Nice review - wondered about the strength of it with it being a AB - one to put on the "to try" list soon.

Nice review. This sounds like my type of cigar, but I am really skeptical with many of the new cigars that have come out. I think maybe my hopes are up too high, then I am let down.

Initially when trying a new cigar, I am let down more times than not. But many times, after letting them rest in my humi for a few months, I find the flavor MUCH improved. Sometimes I think my mood has a lot do with what tastes good at the time, too. Still, I'd love to try these!

I enjoy this cigar while I wont rank it with the likes of a PAM 64 I will say it's an enjoyable cigar in it's price range

I got this cigar in the Blind taste test thread. Here's my review of it. I do think it was a great cigar. I wish CA hadn't, because my B&M cannot get them. I was wrong about the maduro wrapper.

This 6 1/8" X 42~ cigar has A toothy maduro wrapper with some lighter spots. I wouldn't call it an attractive cigar. Besides a wrinkle, the cigar has a very nice triple cap. Fairly firm cigar, the wrapper is well applied, but I can feel a lot of veins.

Pre-light aroma isn't very strong. Pre light draw has light tobacco and tea notes. Draw is perfect, just how I like it.

1st Third
Very smooth smoke with very strong coffee bean notes right off the bat. Lots of smoke on the draw. After a very sweet and smooth start, the smoke begins to develop a bit of earthy tobacco flavors, but the coffee bean notes dominate. It is also getting a bit of spice, but not at all overpowering. Burn is a bit crooked. Ash is grey and pretty strong

2nd Third
Still getting strong coffee bean notes. Spice is still there, but this smoke is well balanced. Crooked burn seems to be correcting itself. I'm really enjoying this cigar. Fairly complex, with sweet cocoa developing.

3rd Third
The same coffee bean cocoa core continues, but I'm getting hints of Anise. Still very smooth and balanced. Roasted nuts develop toward the end. Burn got a bit crooked at the end as well.

Medium Bodied, full flavor. Smoked for about 1:20. Very nice smoke overall. I would buy this.

Overall 9/10

Good review. These really are good cigars, imo. The lancero produces a ton of smoke and they are great! :ss

Thanks for the review -- it's great to get the perspective from the jungle to balance out the CA hype. After reading your review, this will go on my to try list, once I sell a kidney to pay for all the other stuff I've bought recently from the Devil.

Had one of these yesterday and I must say that it was a very enjoyable cigar. The wrapper was dark and attractive and the band is a beauty. Held a good ash and burned slow. The predominate flavor I got from it was cinnamon.

Back