Alternatives to RP

Texan in Mexico

Lowland Gorilla
Happy Festivus and Merry Christmas to all! I'm looking for some help, I feel like I'm in a rut! I really like RPs especially the '92 and have gone through a good number of 92s, 90s, the Coneticuts (which have been a nice change of pace), the REOs (so-so) and the Olde Worlds which I really like as well.

I guess you could say I go towards the med-fulls. A buddy brought me a couple Gurhkas and it was nice.

Now my plea for help...

I need some suggestions from the CS to start the new year, what line should I stock up on that falls along the same lines?

Please keep in mind I dont live in the States so I have to stock up on my trips to the States.

Thank you!!!

I think the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 is better than the RP Vintage 1992 and cheaper to boot! If you haven't tried one, please do so. Similar leather/dark chocolate flavors, but more cedar. Also a similar medium-full strength.
Then again, there's always Padron 2000 or 3000 Maduro. Excellent leathery cocoa tastes. in a medium-full strength. And cheaper than either.

Arturo Fuente Cuban Belicoso.. this size is only made in the sungrown variety, and will cost you about $100/box. EXCELLENT smoke.

HUGE RP fan here, but you might look at some of the offferings from 601 and Perdomo and definitely Torano as well.

Camacho Havana, really nice smoke with great flavors and can be had for a really good price. Pepin JJ's are a Med to full stick, with good flavors. 5 Vegas Miami is very nice med to full stick, and not too expensive if you can get some on c-bid.

On the cheap end...
Famous RP Factory Select Maduro Torpedos, these are really flavorful, might be Edge seconds. TNT JDN Alts are a good med to full stick. I have only tried the Corona, and for a $1 /stick it's hard to beat.

Are you just getting tired of the RP's and want to get some variety in your smokes?

Camacho Havana, really nice smoke with great flavors and can be had for a really good price. Pepin JJ's are a Med to full stick, with good flavors. 5 Vegas Miami is very nice med to full stick, and not too expensive if you can get some on c-bid.

On the cheap end...
Famous RP Factory Select Maduro Torpedos, these are really flavorful, might be Edge seconds. TNT JDN Alts are a good med to full stick. I have only tried the Corona, and for a $1 /stick it's hard to beat.

Are you just getting tired of the RP's and want to get some variety in your smokes?

Thanks for the advice - I really like the RPs, just looking for some variety like you say. I smoke the RPs so fast I havent really been able to age them, maybe I want some alternatives so I can leave a box of '92s to age for a year or so.

If you want to stay with the RP Vintage, get the seconds from Cigars International. You will get about 3 boxes for the price of 1 and will not be able to taste the difference. I do this with the 90's and save 1 box of banded '90's for aging. Also try the RP Cuban Style from Famous Smokes.

If you want to stay with the RP Vintage, get the seconds from Cigars International. You will get about 3 boxes for the price of 1 and will not be able to taste the difference. I do this with the 90's and save 1 box of banded '90's for aging. Also try the RP Cuban Style from Famous Smokes.

I have some of the 2nds that have a little over 2 years on them. I was thinking they would be great, but I had one a while back and was thouroughly displeased. I will have to try another one over Christmas and report back.

For another option, try the Troya. I had one last week and it was fantastic. Need to get a review up of it

J.L. SALAZAR Y HERMANOS
RP Cuban Blend Maduro

If you like the RP Conn. Try the Perdomo Champagne, more flavor IMHO. :tu

Look for other cigars manufactured in Nestor Plasencia's Honduras factory and/or General Cigar's Danlí plant and you will be amazed how similar they are to "Patel cigars".

Nestor's tobacco is in all of "Rocky's" cigars. Nestor's Paraiso factory and rollers make most of Rocky's cigars, (though some are also made in a General Cigars factory). Supposedly Rocky works on the blends, but it is reported that Jesus Fuego who recently separated from Patel is responsible for the Vintage Series blend.

You will see magazine pictures with Rocky checking on how the tobacco is fermenting, or hanging hands of wrapper. The man who is actually boss on tobacco fermentation for Nestor is named Peter Harkan

Rocky is former lawyer, turned cigar salesperson IMHO.

To be fair, it is hard to make cigars in Nicaragua or Honduras without involving Nestor. He is the largest grower of tobacco in Central America with over 800 acres of fields. He has 2 factories in Nicaragua and 3 factories in Honduras.

J Fuego cigars have wide praise but they are just as expensive as Rocky's.

Nestor sells cigars to many retailers; Famous, CI, Santa Clara (JR), House of Windsor (Mom's), Mike's, etc etc. Get a house brand cigar from any of these outfits and you will likely come across one you like..

Look for other cigars manufactured in Nestor Plasencia's Honduras factory and/or General Cigar's Danlí plant and you will be amazed how similar they are to "Patel cigars".

Nestor's tobacco is in all of "Rocky's" cigars. Nestor's Paraiso factory and rollers make most of Rocky's cigars, (though some are also made in a General Cigars factory). Supposedly Rocky works on the blends, but it is reported that Jesus Fuego who recently separated from Patel is responsible for the Vintage Series blend.

You will see magazine pictures with Rocky checking on how the tobacco is fermenting, or hanging hands of wrapper. The man who is actually boss on tobacco fermentation for Nestor is named Peter Harkan

Rocky is former lawyer, turned cigar salesperson IMHO.

To be fair, it is hard to make cigars in Nicaragua or Honduras without involving Nestor. He is the largest grower of tobacco in Central America with over 800 acres of fields. He has 2 factories in Nicaragua and 3 factories in Honduras.

J Fuego cigars have wide praise but they are just as expensive as Rocky's.

Nestor sells cigars to many retailers; Famous, CI, Santa Clara (JR), House of Windsor (Mom's), Mike's, etc etc. Get a house brand cigar from any of these outfits and you will likely come across one you like..

Wow, great info, thank you so much. I will be doing this!

Just my :2 but I've really been enjoying the Mx2 by CAO lately (and I love RPs). I also like the LFD Chisel but this is a much stronger smoke.

If you like RP's try the Edge (I like the missiles), you won't be sorry :tu

Back