Ames, IA?

As of July 1, Iowa has a pretty comprehensive indoor smoking ban, so a cigar friendly place may be tough to find.

Mike...why are you going to Iowa...are you going to watch corn grow?

Boooooooo Hisssssssss...we have more than corn growing going on here in Iowa....:hn

We also have soybeans and alfalfa...:r

As far as friendly smoking places you may have to head to Des Moines and Pars and Cigars which has a smoking lounge for customers.

My place is pretty close to Ames :tu Got a nice big deck too. :)

There is only one tobacco B&M in Ames (Tobacco Outlet), and their cigars are pretty much unsmokeable for a day or two out of their humidor because it is a bit too humid. Hy-Vee also sells some decent sticks (Padron) in their liquor store.

As for actually smoking, you have to go to a bar with an outdoor patio now. You can't even smoke on outdoor restaurant patios anymore... :BS

There are some hip hop bars near Welch Ave that have patios, and an pub right on Welch (Mickey's) that has a nice little deck you can smoke on, but if you are going on a weekend, it might be crowed with college students. Fall semester doesn't actually start until August 25th though, so you may be ok. Other than that, there really isn't much.

Probably not going to get in to Ames until 7:30 or 8:00 on that Friday, so it probably won't work to meet up with people on a friendly deck - but I'll have to look up Mickey's after I get in - timing of the family stuff Saturday and Sunday is a bit limiting

Thanks for the info guys - if anyone has time to meet up at Mickey's that would be great. If you don't have time, no problem, I will have to be in the area every now and again - my mom is marrying a guy that lives in Boone later this year

I grew up in Ames : )

The brewery downtown on Main St. seems to have gotten around the smoking ban. I don't know how they look on cigars but its got a high ceiling and is was really well vented when i was there in the dead of winter. I can't imagine any of those guys having a problem with cigars. I think if anyone had a complaint about smoke period they'd tell them to go to the bar in the restaurant side of the pub. Problem solved.

Say hello to Ames for me. Was there for christmas last year, it was the first time I'd set foot in Iowa in about 12 years... good place to be from. It is a very pretty town too.

Back