An evening with a Cohiba EV, Graycliff Red Label PGX, and a Oban 14 year single malt)

Mark THS

Herfing at 110°
Like all good things in life, cigars and scotch are best enjoyed with friends. So tonight myself and a friend made a trip over to Got Rocks, in Birmingham Michigan- Got Rocks is an upstairs cigar bar to the Big Rock Chophouse restaurant. The ambiance is second to none and the scotch selection is outstanding.

gotrocks.jpg

The place was quiet this evening, but neither my friend nor myself were complaining. We took a seat by a window (which overlooked the restaurant), and prepared to indulge in the fine libations.

Graycliff Red Label PGX
This was my friends cigar contribution to the evening. He secured a couple Graycliffs from a fellow cigar friend (I smoked the Red Label, he smoked a Graycliff Espresso). I can only speak for the Red Label, but I found it to be an outstanding smoke. The burn was a bit inconsistant, but for a mild smoke, it was high on flavor. The draw was decent, however it was not high on smoke. It was a cigar that definetly needed attention. The construction was wonderful. This was my first Graycliff and I was pleasantly surprised. I look forward to trying the more robust, full bodied Graycliff's. My friend had nothing but good things to say about the Espresso.

Cohiba Extra Vigoroso (Double Corona)
I would be lying if I said I wasnt slightly disappointed by this cigar, but the fault may not lie with Cohiba. This was a last minute purchase at the tobacco shop today, so it was not given proper time to rest in the humidor and come up to acceptable conditions of RH. The burn was very uneven and had to be tended to frequently. Additionally, I found the draw to be very tight, although it did open up and get going 1/3 of the way through the stick. The beautiful wrapper struggled to stay together throughout the smoke and there were a few instances of unbinding. I was, however, very pleased with the flavor and robustness of the smoke. There were enticing hints of citrus and woody notes that kept me interested. I will not, however, hold Cohiba responsible for the quality of the smoke. I went against my better judgement and smoked these almost straight from the tobacconist. In the future, I would give the EV proper time to condition itself for the smoke. All said, my friends EV smoked much better (great burn), but he experienced similar wrapper problems.

Oban 14 year old scotch
Wow. What an outstanding selection. As a beginner to the scotch world, I really could appreciate what Oban was trying to do. It was an enchanting scotch with simple flavors that drew me in. Very little burn and pleasantly light. I was drawn in by the fresh, floral notes of honey and captivated by the flowery finish. As a beginner, I can see this Oban being the gateway into scotch. My only qualm would be that it lacked the smoke I was expecting in a good scotch. Not the best pairing for a cigar, but pleasing nonetheless.

Looks like a great place to herf and enjoy all the finer things in life(sticks,scotch,friendship.....) Wish we had someplace like that near here.:dr

Nice pic and review. Cohibas in general do not do it for me. I have only smoked the Graycliff Pirate and I think it was good smoke, but over-priced. Now for Oban, I love it! I am impressed in your selection of scotch. That club looks inviting. Cheers

Looks like a great place to herf and enjoy all the finer things in life(sticks,scotch,friendship.....) Wish we had someplace like that near here.:dr

Its a wonderful place to heard! Cigar smoking is not just permitted, but encouraged. They even have a decent selection of cigar available for purchase in the lounge (although I scoff at their pricetag)

The restaurant has an outstanding wine cellar that hosts private groups. The cellar actually sits underneath a railroad track, so the occasional train going overhead is rather charming. They also allow and encourage cigar smoking in the cellar (It no longer houses the wine).

That place looks very nice....perfect place for scotch and cigars.

I can only comment on the scotch. I really enjoy Oban 14 yr. old. I think it goes very well with most cigars. I've found that the smokier tasting scotches like Lagavulin cause too much smoke-flavor overload in the mouth when smoking a cigar. One of my favorite scotches to sip on it's own is a Lagavulin's Distiller's Special Edition....incredible flavor!!!! When I've paired it with a cigar (at least for me) it was just smoke overload in the mouth.

Another nice light easy going scotch which won't hurt your wallet too much is The Glendronach 12 yr. old.

Thanks for the reviews,

Jim

Jim, I appreciate the recommendation. I will definetly keep an eye out for the Glendronach 12 yr old next time we're there.

I guess scotch, cigar pairing varies person to person. I dont have enough experience with smokier, heavier scotches to comment on the pairings, but the general impression that I got with a light scotch like Oban is that with a cigar too heavy, the delicate, light notes of a scotch that bright can be overwhelmed. On the other side, I can see where a heavier scotch with conflict and fight with a robust cigar. I suppose you're right though, a lighter, more floral scotch probably pairs better with cigars.

Oban is on my to buy list and the dominican Cohiba's are generally not that great for the price.

I wouldn't blame your tobacconist for the problems with the Cohiba. Every single Cohiba I've ever smoked had unbinding issues! Funny thing is, two of them were Cuban and two weren't. So, I think it may just be my incredibly bad luck (or the Cubans were fake. I bought them in Jamaica, after all!)

I've been to Oban, Scotland and that's where I tried their scotch. To me, it was inferior to Glennfiddich, Glenmorangie, Glenkitchie, or Highland Park single malts. But, hey, it's still a lot better than Laphroaig or Dalmore Cigar Malt.

Back