An eye opening experience.

The Bruce

ChestBeater
I just got back from visiting my family in Colombia. My part of the family left Colombia and we live in the USA, I was born here. This time when I went to visit I brought some of my cigars.

My family who are cigar smokers as well where amused with me. They told me that I am taking smoking cigars into an extreme. They said that us Gringos tend to over complicate everything we do. They smoke cigars. They don't use a humidor, or cigar cutters (they use their teeth) and they use a Zippo lighter to light their cigars. Those comments made me consider my cigar smoking hobby. After thinking about it, I think they are on to something. I think I have become gadety with cigars. So, when I got back I started to be less gadety. I even use a Zippo lighter.

You know what? Smoking cigars is just as fun and enjoyable. They only gadety thing I still use is a humidor, it's too dry here in AZ to not use one, no matter what my family says.

Any thoughts on this?

--
Erik

In some ways, I think its true. In other ways, I sort of look at this hobby as an investment...especially since many of us have plenty of money wrapped up in this. If I'm gonna invest in this, I want to make the most out of it.

But on the other hand, cigars are meant to kick back and relax...

It just depends on the individual. I know poeple in Hong Kong take it even more seriously than here in the USA, with their collecting and aging of cigars. The gadgets are not necessary, but still fun. But I don't know anybody who would buy expensive NC's or any cuban cigars and not keep them in a humi, unless they were to be smoked in the next few days. JMO.

It's all a matter of preference. Personally, I like gadgets, clean cuts, and being able to light a cigar in the wind.

There is at least one well-known individual--looked up to by many for his knowledge of Cuban cigars--who prefers to bite off the caps.

So basically, you are going to stop using a cutter. No thanks. I don't like picking tobacco out of my teeth. :D It's not a gadget, its a tool.

:ms NCRM

White97Jimmy said:
In other ways, I sort of look at this hobby as an investment...especially since many of us have plenty of money wrapped up in this. QUOTE]

I think a hobby/money sink is a better term. I don't know of many people who can put money into cigars and end up with more money after they smoke thier cigar. ;)

Ermo said:
But I don't know anybody who would buy expensive NC's or any cuban cigars and not keep them in a humi, unless they were to be smoked in the next few days. JMO.

Unless you live in a climate with an average temp of 70 and a humidity level of 60-70%. :D

I agree that it may not be necessary to have the gadgets but form me it adds to the overall smoking experience.

Ive heard varying opinions on the zippo thing.. I dunno how much of it is true. I use a disposable bic alot of the time to light my smokes and it doesnt seem to have a bad effect on my smokes. I don't like picking tobacco outta my teeth, so I will continue to use my palio.
Scott

The Bruce said:
White97Jimmy said:
In other ways, I sort of look at this hobby as an investment...especially since many of us have plenty of money wrapped up in this. QUOTE]

I think a hobby/money sink is a better term. I don't know of many people who can put money into cigars and end up with more money after they smoke thier cigar. ;)
but if share a cigar with a friend I've gained in something better than money

Technology and modernization is a good thing. I remember a time before we had microwave ovens. What would I do without a microwave now. Some of you younger guys might even know what it was like before the internet.

There was a time when torch lighters and fancy cutters and humidors were not around or at least not available like they are now. But now that we have these things available to us why not use them if they make life easier and more enjoyable.

All I need is a Cooler, well maybe another for beer, a cheap cutter and my Zippo, with the butane insert of course.

Oh yeah, and a hygrometer, wireless of course, beads, distilled water, CBID, and I'm all set.

kjd2121 said:
All I need is a Cooler, well maybe another for beer, a cheap cutter and my Zippo, with the butane insert of course.

Oh yeah, and a hygrometer, wireless of course, beads, distilled water, CBID, and I'm all set.

and this lamp, and this umbrella, that's all I need, oh and this chair. :r

Skinsfan said:
. . . why not use them if they make life easier and more enjoyable.

I agree with you. But not having those things doesn't make cigar smoking less enjoyable or difficult.

I guess I am just in a "simplify things" mode.

kjd2121 said:

:r :w

I guess kjd2121 gets it. :D

The Bruce said:
I agree with you. But not having those things doesn't make cigar smoking less enjoyable or difficult.

To each his own. I will enjoy my stogies with a nice torch lighter, very cool cutter, glass of brandy on the rocks and my beautiful wife by my side.

Back