Angel 100

ShaulWolf

Gorilla
Oliva Angel 100 O.T.C.

Length: 6"
Gauge: 48
Wrapper: Ecuadorian
Filler: Nicaraguan/Peruvian

These cigars are made in limited production to celebrate Angel Oliva, patriarch of the Oliva Tobacco Company. Note, this isn't the same Oliva that makes the Series 'O' or 'G'. Honestly, the flavor is more like the Rocky Patel 1992 than any of the Oliva cigars, but more on that later.

The construction to this cigar is top notch. It's got a veiny rugged looking wrapper that's very well packed without being too tight. The wrapper has a slight oily sheen, not much, but a slight one when I looked at it in the light. It has a nice box press, and is overall very well put together. It cut easily with no cracks or unravelling, and the prelight draw was very smooth.

Toasting and lighting gave a sweet tobacco scent that was very pleasant. The initial taste was somewhat sweet, woodsy and nutty that was medium in body. Smoking on through the first third this remained much the same. The woodsy flavor was a little more dominant with a sweet nutty tobacco aftertaste.

The second third of the cigar was much the same. The body picked up a little more, more on the full side of medium. The woodsy flavors were still strong, but the nuttiness came through a little more as well. The sweetness was getting a little stronger, with a little touch of spice. The flavors all worked well together, the woody nutty flavors being more dominant to me.

The last third is like a stronger version of the second. Same flavors, but more pronounced and sweeter. The flavors were consistent and didn't change dramatically. It was a slow smooth transition towards sweeter, woodier, nuttier.

The burn was fairly even, though at first it seems like it'll canoe. The box press makes it seem that way, but after a few moments it evens out nicely. The smoke was smooth and cool, but be sure to give these some rest or it'll be a little harsh. I left this one in my humi at 65 rh for about a month before smoking and it was much better than when I had one fresh. Also, I found coffee doesn't pair as well as southern sweet tea does. Your results may vary, but I found the coffee made the taste bitter and grassy.

Overall it's a very nice cigar that I'd smoke again when I have time to relax and enjoy. My only gripe is that they're not too easy to get, and when they're out I'm scraping for cash. Enjoy them while you have them. 8/10

Very nice review, and thank you!

These are definitely an underrated gem. My description
would be very similar to yours, except I experienced a little
more spice. They're for sure tasty. :D

Dang, now I wish I would've pulled the trigger on these when they were one of Joe's Daily Deals on CI.

Interesting. I have had several and every one was a decent cigar for the first 2/3, then they all got very bitter and unsmokable for the last third. Anyone else have this experience with these or am I the lucky one.:tu

I got a bitter taste on the last third the first time I smoked it, but I paired it with the wrong drink. I found that changing what I drank with it helped a lot, and it turned the cigar to a very nice sweetness. Some rest in the humi helped a lot too.

Nice review. :tu I'm glad to hear good words about these as I bit on the "Joe" deal hoping for the best.

I've been a big fan of the Angel's, enough so to have stocked away several hundred of them. Keep an eye on Cbid as they still continue to pop up on there site the latest being the OTC's.

Great review; love the photos. Count me as an Angel fan as well! I agree, they don't pair very well with coffee, though.

Back