Another dumb newb question

Mystophales

Heavy Metal Jesus
My favorite size for a cigar is robusto and since I buy a lot of my cigars online and mainly cigar joe or monster deal of the day I was just wondering something. Will it damage a cigar at all to cut a length of the foot off making it shorter? The reason behind this question is because I have passed on some deals simply because they were Churchill length. I am a pretty slow smoker and a churchill can take me the better part of two hours.

I would think it really wouldn't matter but then again what the hell do I know...:D

There is a small pile of stubs in the garden outside the back door of sticks that I get bored with or I just don't have the time to finish.I tell my wife I am recycling.I like the Churchill length myself but that's just my:2

:tpd:

You may just find that the amount you smoke off the first half of a churchill taste better then the amount you finish on a robusto...smoke should be a little cooler after working through the chrurchill and provide a different flavor...

jag

:tpd:
That is true; I get thru about 5 inches of a churchill w/out any bad taste, but some robustos i've had get that filtered taste after just 2-3 inches in. Plus, I've done plenty of "re-light later"--takes a few minutes to get thru that "taste", but a churchill could turn into 2 robustos for you

My role model for cigar smoking is Tony Soprano. Just light one when you want it, throw it when you are done. Don't worry about how much you have smoked it down. Eh - don' worry... Larry.

My favorite size for a cigar is robusto and since I buy a lot of my cigars online and mainly cigar joe or monster deal of the day I was just wondering something. Will it damage a cigar at all to cut a length of the foot off making it shorter? The reason behind this question is because I have passed on some deals simply because they were Churchill length. I am a pretty slow smoker and a churchill can take me the better part of two hours.

I would think it really wouldn't matter but then again what the hell do I know...:D

You can do it, but it's kind of like ordering a Large drink, and them dumping half of it out to turn it into a Medium. I'm not sure why you'd do it... just buy the size you prefer to smoke.

I always smoke till I'm done, I don't feel obligated to smoke everything to the nub. I smoke mainly cheapies so I'm not out anything if I toss it. I guess if you smoke $20 cigars it might be harder to throw it away after smoking only half.

A long time ago I bought a box of large Hoyo Excaliburs (I think they were #1 Naturals). A cut a few in half and smoked both halfs at different times. I just didn't have enough time to smoke those big honkers and, at the time, I was on a tighter cigar budget.

I must say I didn't have any problems at all. On a couple of em', the front half of the stick wanted to unravel. I just had to be careful with how I smoked it.

I don't think I'd ever do it again, but the flavor of both ends of the cigar were OK and consistent.

Just can't bring yourself to waste any tobacco , eh . I've felt a similar feeling . It will pass in time . Smoke what you like . :ss

Thanks for asking this "noob" question. I'm in the same boat as you. I can see sitting down for 30 or even 45 minutes for a cigar but don't want to miss out on the experience by limiting my new found hobby to particular sizes of cigars.
:tu

Just toss the cigar if it you can't finish the smoke. However, from my experiences... the later parts of a cigar can either be the best part... or the worst! So you might think twice before you turf that smoke :ss

This might sound silly to some of you but; I am primarily a pipe smoker but have started slipping down the cigar slope as well. More importantly I am a cheap bastage and cant bring myself to waste the last bit of a 2$ cigar let alone $5-10+. When I am done smoking what I can I shred the remaining (discarding any burnt pieces) and pack it in a pipe. It tastes a bit different (not in a bad way) kinda like half cigar half pipe but enjoyable none the less. :ss:pp

Back