Anti-tobacco activists trying to link Cigars to Kids!

I think the main reason those small cigars are bought is to add something to them:w. I don't think they mentioned that. And, I haven't seen "kids" lining up to buy bubblegum cigars, much less those.
Man, we gotta do something. This is getting crazy.

Cigarettes = dumb....keep your war on them stupid anti-tobacco people.

Cigars = natural and flavorful. hell, the fact that just one really nice premium stick costs more than a couple of packs of cigarettes speaks quite a bit.

Everyone seems to have an agenda and will do anything to push it forward.

And using kids? Stupid and not convincing to anyone that I know...or would call a friend.

Everyone seems to have an agenda and will do anything to push it forward.

And using kids? Stupid and not convincing to anyone that I know...or would call a friend.

Unfortunately, they are not going after the folks you know then. But there is a whole lot of'em out there that this is very effective with, especially when it's about the "children".

I think the main reason those small cigars are bought is to add something to them:w. I don't think they mentioned that. And, I haven't seen "kids" lining up to buy bubblegum cigars, much less those.

:tpd:, I always see high school kids at the local 7-11 buying these. Really what else are they using them for??? :w :ss.

On a more serious note. A fight against one tobacco product will turn into a fight against all tobacco products, this is the most logical step these anti-smoing people have ever taken, and it's sort of worrying.

I've said this before in another thread, but it's highly relevant here.

I see article after article saying how kids are doing this and that, whether it be sex, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or violence. And each time it's his fault, her fault, society's fault, the manufacturer's fault, etc. Not ONCE have I ever seen anyone say "It's the parents' fault." In all honesty, why does the state have to step in and take over parenting? Outlawing tobacco, great, dandy. Won't stop anyone from getting it somehow. Happened with alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc.

I think what needs to be done is to quit listening to this garbage and take a look at reality. Kids need to be parented to know they shouldn't smoke. Second hand smoke isn't healthy, but isn't going to kill you if you walk by it or sit near it on occasion. And for Christ sake, quit ramming legislation down our throats when you're failing to treat the cause of whatever problems there are with it. [/rant]

Last edited:
I've said this before in another thread, but it's highly relevant here.

I see article after article saying how kids are doing this and that, whether it be sex, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or violence. And each time it's his fault, her fault, society's fault, the manufacturer's fault, etc. Not ONCE have I ever seen anyone say "It's the parents' fault." In all honesty, why does the state have to step in and take over parenting? Outlawing tobacco, great, dandy. Won't stop anyone from getting it somehow. Happened with alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc.

I think what needs to be done is to quit listening to this garbage and take a look at reality. Kids need to be parented to know they shouldn't smoke. Second hand smoke isn't healthy, but isn't going to kill you if you walk by it or sit near it on occasion. And for Christ sake, quit ramming legislation down our throats when you're failing to treat the cause of whatever problems there are with it. [/rant]

:tpd:

Also, if high school kids are buying these, or cigarettes, or whatever else, then it's not because they don't know the risks associated with it. Everyone knows that smoking is bad for you. I don't think there is a person in the US above the age of 10 that doesn't know that smoking is bad for you and can potentially kill you. In fact, it says so right on every pack of cigarettes out there. Do you honestly think you would stop one of these kids buying cigarettes and say, "Hey, do you know those can kill you?" and get an answer back, "Holy cow, NO I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. I'M NEVER SMOKING AGAIN!" People make choices, and it's their choice to make. Trying to take that choice away is fascism and last time I checked, wasn't the US supposed to be against that???

Also, there does need to be better parenting out there, no question about that, but I don't necessarily think that the parents are the only people to blame in all instances. Think about it, how many of us started drinking/smoking before it was legal for us to do so? Was it because our parents were bad parents??? No, it's because we chose to do it and knew the consiquences involved. Same applies today. Not to mention, these days kids are fully aware of the health risks involved. Also, it's illegal for kids to smoke, so stop making kids the issue. They shouldn't be able to get this stuff in the first place because it's illegal for them to do so, so why are we spending so much time and effort on these pointless studies??? You don't see half this much time being spent on kids and alcohol and I'd venture to say that's a much bigger issue.

Some people are just ignorant I suppose.

FYI - there is an episode of South Park that is based around smoking and it's hilarious, to the point, and basically states that any rational human being should realize that smoking is legal and if people want to do it legally, that's their choice. I suggest checking it out for a good laugh.

"Protect the children!" is the rallying cry for a lot of movements to ban things. They've used it with guns, tobacco, *****graphy, foul language, you name it. Funny thing is, most of the stuff they want to ban to protect the poor, innocent children is already illegal for children to purchase or posess.

Personally, I don't like giving up my freedom because somebody else doesn't want to teach their kids right from wrong and doesn't want to punish them when they screw up.

:tpd::tpd:

those "cigars" they talk about are not really a true cigar. They are produced knowing they will be ripped open and have some special green tobacco added to them. tobacco companies aren't dumb... they are actually quite smart if you think about it. If all these anti-tobacco people wanna point fingers at those "cigars"... i wonder how many of them have used those themselves?

"Protect the children!" is the rallying cry for a lot of movements to ban things. They've used it with guns, tobacco, *****graphy, foul language, you name it. Funny thing is, most of the stuff they want to ban to protect the poor, innocent children is already illegal for children to purchase or posess.

Personally, I don't like giving up my freedom because somebody else doesn't want to teach their kids right from wrong and doesn't want to punish them when they screw up.

Well said. The attacks on tobacco are simply not going to stop, it seems. Makes me angry, frustrated, and sad - all at the same time. Where will it end?

I agree whole heartidly with everyone above that the root cause of all of the problems with youth is lack of responsibility by both the parents and the child themselves. I am in college and i can tell you that i smoked cigarrettes in hs and eventually cigars but it was done knowing the risks associated with them. I cant stand the fact that there are so many people out there that just because they dont agree with something want to have it banned or outlawed. If you dont like something dont do it, and teach your kids not to, but do not force your beliefs on someone else. Isnt that what our country was founded on? being tolerant of others.

Well said. The attacks on tobacco are simply not going to stop, it seems. Makes me angry, frustrated, and sad - all at the same time. Where will it end?

It will never end... at least not until the government can find another form of taxing that will fill the gap. Tobacco tax accounts for 4% of taxes that flow into the government. While you may not think that's a huge amount, it's in the billions of dollars for tax money. Not to mention the millions of people who would lose their jobs. So to me it's a never ending battle.

i hate seeing and watching state by state more tobacco laws passed about where and where you cannot smoke. The county i live in just passed one and now you need a permit to smoke in bars and dinners. Thank god we can still smoke in back yards cars and other public places still... for now at least i also heard MI is trying to pass this law state wide. I hope it doesn't pass, i already feel bad for the people living in states where they cannot smoke in public i'd hate for it to come here.

one of the best comments i read about these laws was. Why is it now illegal to smoke in bars? you go to a bar knowing people smoke and if they are talking about younger kids... WHY THE HELL WOULD A YOUNGER PERSON BE IN A BAR IN THE FIRST PLACE!? i agree with everyone who has said or mentioned something about parents not taking responsibility or not wanting to and wanting to be able to say "no you can't smoke its the LAW!" instead of "fine smoke if you want lung cancer" or "why the hell would you wanna smoke? waste of money and it affects your health" these "parents" seem to be turning into people who own kids... not parents. No offense to any parents here and i am not one but my parents have had talks with me about tobacco. They know i smoke cigs (which im trying to quit) and cigars. They don't mind cigars at all they are nice enough to let me use their garage to smoke cigars in and even bought me my first humidor along with about 80bucks worth of VERY nice smokes for xmas. They call me out on smoking cigs which is the worst feeling in the world and for me... that is the best parenting. Making your child realize what he is doing is not good, i hate when i disappoint my parents its the worst feeling in the world to me.

On a side note:

When I clicked on the link to check out the USA Today story on AOL I noted the ads on the page, the most dominant being ones for the pharmaceutical company Pfizer.

Pfizer's ad campaign slogan:
"Smoking is a treatable medical condition."

Think about who would benefit from the extreme regulation of tobacco products? I am not talking about a conspiracy just BAU. :)

Self medicating has always been a vice and virtue.

Just a few random thoughts to give pause.

The same thing is going on with unhealthy foods, powerful car enignes ect. The government thinks they can run our lives better than we can and I don't like it one bit.

If they outlaw all cigars and tobacco products the cruise and South america vacation industry will be booming lol. What say we do a group buy on a cruise ship haha.

a group buy for a cruise ship would be awesome! i'll throw 10 at it! :r.

i don't need the government or let alone someone else to tell me what i enjoy or don't enjoy and what i should and shouldn't do in life. I know what can come from smoking and i choose with my own free will to do so. If i want a big ass 350crate motor with a supercharger and internal overhaul to rip up the streets and most likely die from it? i'm gonna do it (safely without harming other people of course!).

Back