Any ideas why my humidor is only getting to 55% humidity?

DoctaJ

Gorilla
I purchased this as my 1st humidor about 1 year ago:

DSCF1777.jpg

A basic 20 capacity humidor that you see in the pages of the CI catalog. In this time I never had a hygrometer to measure the humidity inside. I just expected that it would be fine. Well, fast forward to this week when I purchased a digital thermometer/hygrometer for the apartment to see if it was worth buying a humidifier for our bedroom. It was small enough to fit in my humidor so I thought I would throw it in overnight out of curiosity. When I looked at the readings I was surprised to see that the min humidity was 50%, the max was 55% and it had a current reading of 54%. Last night I tried this again, but this time re-filled my gel humidifer with water and tried placing a heavy book on top of the humidor (thinking it may be a seal problem). I look again this morning and its is reading the same humidity.

Any ideas on what I can do :confused:. I want to keep my cigars in good condition and I hope that this isn't damaging the taste in anyways by not being at an optimal humidity. Here is a pic of the inside of my humidor to show my setup (airflow and such):

DSCF1779.jpg

I am using DryMistat humidifier made by Cigar Savor. It is about 80 days old and states that it can keep 25-30 cigars humidified. When I 1st bought it I thought that perhaps it may overhumidify my cigars...guess I didn't have to worry about that :r. I appreciate any help :D

The first two things I would do is to calibrate the hygrometer (it could be off) and ditch the gel for some beads.

Last edited:
I used to have a similar humi from CI just to use as a dry box type humi and felt that it did not seal very well. I would check your seal as it may be a problem across the board with all of these 20 ct humis.

The first two things I would do is to calibrate the hygrometer (it could be off) and ditch the gel for some beads.
:tpd::tpd::tpd:That's why Peter is a mod, he knows things. Start with the basics, calibrate hygromter. Then move on to checking the seal with light or dollar bill test. Then get beads. If all that fails move stuff to a ziplock or tupperware and order a new box. :2

You did not say how your cigars are smoking. At a true 50rh they would usually be dry, brittle and lacking taste.

Its not the best humidor,that said I'd be willing to bet they vary widely as far as the humidity they hold.

Hit me up if you want to have a cigar sometime :)

I have never seen a really well designed 20 ct. According to your weather forecast today the outside rh is about 40 percent (lucky dog). Assuming your room is air conditioned your room rh could be even lower (so very lucky). A bad seal could easily account for a 55 percent humi rh in a 30ish rh room.

You really should calibrate but if your room rh is around (and usually lower) than the outside rh it might be close to accurate.

I actually have it calibrating as I type this with the salt test :hn. As for beads, I have thought about getting them, but the reviews for the humidifier I have now seem pretty decent. Would there be that much of a difference between the two?

You did not say how your cigars are smoking. At a true 50rh they would usually be dry, brittle and lacking taste.

Well, the sticks I have been smoking the past week are from a recent bid on cbid. Before that, I did think they were a little dry but nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing where the wrapper was ripping from being too brittle or anything like that. I am only about a year into this great lifestyle that I don't have too much experience to go by :p.

While I've switched to beads myself, a Drymistat tube like yours held my 20 ct humi at a pretty rock solid 68-70% for quite some time. Should work ok for you if the humi is sealing.

#1 is get through that salt test with your hygrometer.

I have beads now but I used the tube and foam humidifiers for years and years with no complaint. I am not even 100 percent sure why I changed except that I got caught up in the beads put men on the moon hysteria.

Well, got back and the hygrometer was reading 70%, so I guess it is off by 5%. That changes my original reading from 55 --> 60%. Better, but I would still like it to be 65-70. I think I am going to try the light test in a little bit to see what that shows in terms of the seal. Two questions though:

(1) Should I exchange the salt with my humidifier and see what the reading shows? Perhaps my gel isn't doing the job it should?

(2) Also, would it do any good to try to re-season my humidor? Would this do anything?

Thanks so much everyone for the help so far! :ss

When you do the flashlight test, position the flashlight differently and check all sides. Eventually, I saw some light comming out of my humidor, but it took several tries to see it, due to the lip of the Spanish Cedar.

I spent the last few years fighting to keep humidity above 55% in three different desktop humidors. I tried everything under the sun but they just would not hold humidity and it's not like I live in a dry climate. I used beads, various hygrometers, and spent weeks seasoning them and they always fell back below 55%. I finally gave up and switched first to a cooler and now a wine cooler and both have worked out fine. I now use the desktops for dry boxing a few cigars before smoking them.

What are those silver dots on the lip of the front top edge? Could be a place for air to get through. ??? Also, I've always found it tough to keep a constant humidity level with low numbers of cigars. Re-season your humi, fill that thing to absolute capacity, take the cello off all cigars and see what happens. Could just be that the wood is sucking all the juice out. Then go out and buy a 300ct. humi!:tu
DSCF1779.jpg

The dots are magnets to help keep the humi closed. As far as the tubes being full, it was thrown out there as a possibility. I have never used them and could not determine that they were full.

Back